The Student Room Group

Long flight tips and advice

I will be leaving the country to go to the Americas.

The flight will take 8 hours and I plan on knocking off to bed on the plane. This is the first time in 8 years that I am taking a long-haul flight and I am going alone for once on such a flight.

What sort of clothing should I wear? Is it cheaper to get stuff in the duty free store?

Can I put alcohol and fragrance in the 23KG baggage? Sorry - I usually never take a big baggage as I only mainly travel in Europe for business and pleasure and so I only take a hand luggage
Wear loose-fitting clothing.
If you're planning to sleep, then order a special meal. Special meals (like, for example, for vegetarians) get served first and don't have to wait for the full service. This way, you can be done with your meal and knock off sooner
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kendrik Lamar
Wear loose-fitting clothing.
If you're planning to sleep, then order a special meal. Special meals (like, for example, for vegetarians) get served first and don't have to wait for the full service. This way, you can be done with your meal and knock off sooner

What happens if I fall asleep straight away on the plane? As in I don't like the food they give on the airlines - it makes me sick and vomit.
Reply 3
Original post by timokane5
What happens if I fall asleep straight away on the plane? As in I don't like the food they give on the airlines - it makes me sick and vomit.

Well it's been 8 years since you flied long haul so the food quality may have improved.
Which airline are you flying with?
Reply 4
Original post by Orlanda
Well it's been 8 years since you flied long haul so the food quality may have improved.
Which airline are you flying with?

Air Transat

It is unlikely that you will be asleep for 8hrs straight on a commercial flight. The last few hours of a long flight are the worst to be awake during (I find them unbearable). You'd rather waste the first few hours awake then sleep when things have quieted down a little
Unless you're going to the west coast, or departing well before 12 noon UK time, I wouldn't advise you attempt to get a proper sleep on a westbound transatlantic flight. Not that it's easy in economy class anyway.
I will be leaving the country to go to the Americas.

The flight will take 8 hours and I plan on knocking off to bed on the plane. This is the first time in 8 years that I am taking a long-haul flight and I am going alone for once on such a flight.

What sort of clothing should I wear? Is it cheaper to get stuff in the duty free store?

Can I put alcohol and fragrance in the 23KG baggage? Sorry - I usually never take a big baggage as I only mainly travel in Europe for business and pleasure and so I only take a hand luggage

Approximately 4-5 hours into the flight, you'll face bad, bad turbulence over the Atlantic. Keep that in mind if you get sick easily.

Wear comfortable, loose clothes. Also, wear layers of clothes if you find airports cold. Don't wear one thick jacket. Instead, opt for t-shirts and shirts.

Since this is an international flight, I think you'll have to be at the check-in counters about 3 hours prior, unless you check-in online.

Walk. This is VERY important. Every hour or so, walk either to the bathroom or the galleys to avoid DVT. I don't know how old you are, but it pays to take care. Otherwise, pop an aspirin a few hours before your flight (This is what my parents do, this is NOT medical advice.)

Stay hydrated. At high altitudes, there are changes in cabin pressure as compared to atmospheric pressure. This can leave you dehydrated and in rare cases, dizzy.

Do not take ANY fruits, vegetables or seeds. You will have to chuck it out at your destination, because the US is pretty strict about contamination and stuff like that. Biscuits are fine.

If you're carrying any medication in your hand luggage, it's advisable to carry its prescription as well.

Carry some candy or toffee, for take-off and landing, if you suffer from that terrible ear-ache (like I do).

Things are pretty cheap at duty-free stores, like the perfume I buy. But, don't buy books, because they're double the price in there.

Check the baggage allowance for both hand luggage as well as check-in. This may vary according to carrier and destination.

If you're carrying a considerable amount of cash, check the regulations for the same.

Take a back-pack instead of a hand-held bag to keep your hands free.

If you have a lay-over and a connecting flight, see that your luggage is tagged to your final destination. Also, keep a watch on time during the lay-over.

If a member of your family is a platinum member of certain banks, you may be able to access the lounge, eat and even crash there for a while.

Can't think of anything else at the moment. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
This thread is so useful. I;m going on a long haul flight to but it's an indirect flight.
Hi there! Long flights are always a challenge for me, I tend to get sick very easily and that's why I always want to sleep the whole flight, it's much easier for me to do that. Here is what I do: I try to exercise, I try to do lots of things on the day before so when I get to the plane I am exhausted and it is easier for me to crash as soon as possible. I always tell the person next to me or the flight attendant to wake me up on the meals (I hate when I miss them) If I am not able to sleep right after I step on the plane, I try to watch something on the entertainment center on the small tv they have on the plane and then, after dinner I take a pill and sleep. I always take of those neck pillows and lots of jackets, cause I feel really really cold during the night, the AC is always very strong and I tend to feel cold.Wear comfortable clothes, something warm, cause as I said before, it is always cold inside the aircraft. I never buy stuff in the duty free store, if you are going to the US things are much cheaper there than anywhere else.You can take alcohol and fragrance in your luggage, which usually can have as much as 32kg and you can take two pieces in international flights. Check with the airline company you bought the tickets, but that's how it works in Brazil.It's a great idea to take a set of clothes on your hand luggage, because more than often luggage gets lots on the way and arrives only on the next day. It's happen to me and it was awful to go around NYC to buy clothes during the winter so I wouldn't get frozen.Be sure to know about the weather of where you are going and prepare for it. Have some water and walk around the flight, it is important that you don't stay in the same place the entire 8 hours you spend there.Hope this was useful! Have a nice trip!

Quick Reply