The Student Room Group

US citizen in india wanted to do 3 year law in UK

I
This forum came in as blessing and disguise. thanks a lot for wealth highly credible information.I am writing this for my daugther. My daughter is a US citizen and we settled in india. she wanted to practise as a Lawyer in US. In india, we have BA+LLB which is a five year degree. TheN cominging to US do a 3 year JD+1 LLM may be a needed l with slim chance of getting a good job in US. Lot has been said of unemployment in US for laywers, expensive JD, and only california and NY alone takes foreign degree holder.Our choice is to do a law degree in UK (3 year or 4 year) and we are not sure which one to take. I had looked at the forums on UCL, durham etc. Option 1: 5 year india + 3 year JD + 1 year LLM (she can skip JD for NY,CALI)Option 2: 3 year law in UK+3 year JD +1 year LLM. does she need 4 year law in UK (16 year eduction reqmt in US)I am assuming she can skip doing JD in US if she takes UK routePlease advise. We do not have any visa issues in US.We are fully confused.thanks a lotsrini
Reply 1
Thanks.
Reply 2
Thanks a lot J-SP. This really helps and clears all the confusion on this subject. We were struggling to get the right information till now.

On followup inquiry on 3 year LLB. Do i need to ascertain that whether 15 years education alone is sufficient to attempt for JD in US. Or does my daughter need to do something extra to be eligible for JD. i could not get much info on US universities.

My daughter is on 'A' grade candidate and not an A+. So not sure whether combined LLB + JD law would work for her. There is also limitation of only 2 seats per university and it is for only non-americans. We are also not looking at TOP UK universities for LLB. Entry requirement and fee issue might be hard for us in UCL, Durham and KCL . I know she need to keep a Good GPA for applying to JD.

Any suggestions and advise. This would be last inquiry on this J-SP
Reply 3
we are in early stage of our discovery phase, and not sure. Durham, Aberdeen, Glasgow, Birmingham on similar lines. Not sure if UCL, KCL is up for grabs based on her expected grades and such. We are little away from that. All depends on her LNAT and her grades in school. We will start applying starting from september for joining the programme in sep-oct 2017.

Thanks a lot
srini
Reply 4
Thanks. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. For now we are surely looking for anything below grade of UCL, KCL, Durham etc purely on academic marks if not fees. We will try for decent LNAT score (heard UCL grading based on essay, KCL based on objective questions).
If we she gets a decent grade, along with some level of decent LNAT score we might try something different.

Through UCAS we will try 2 LNAT based UNIV, might pick up few from the below list (after your feedback) Would any of the university from the below list do you suggest
- Portsmouth
- SUSSEX
- Exeter
- oxford brookes
- southampton
- surrey (*)
- Birmingham (*))
- Queen Marty (somewhere i read it over rated)
- Plymouth
- Birmingham city
- aston
- Royal Holloway
Reply 5
Thanks J-SP. Are there any universities inbetween
(UCL, Durham) vs (Birmigham,Exeter). I had looked at Birmigham and Exeter and support structure is not as good as UCL and Durham. I know i am learning through this. Might take some time
Reply 6
Warwick is a good, non- LNAT university :smile:
Reply 7
J-SP et all

I did bit of further research on this. I traveled to London and edinburgh earlier. My daughter hasn't travelled very much. So, obviously i look for uuniversities close to london, less cold, with medium-large indian students, societies, with mixture of LNAT and Non-Universities. Plus i base my aassumption on times/.sunday times ranking .

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/features/times-and-sunday-times-reveal-their-top-uk-universities-2016

When i go through the above criteria and my daughters expected grade (7.5-8.5 in a scale of 1 to 10) , these are lists of universities possibly she can get. So, i am discounting others for now

1. Nottingham vs Durham (Possibly nottigham with more society, some level of support system)
Grade Requirement - 8.5 and above, LNAT. May be tougher.
2. Warwick vs Exeter (Warwick, I it is very competitive, closer to london, possibly more to do with US association, and no LNAT score)
Grade requirement - 8.5 and above, No LNAT

Exeter - May be i can ignore it for now
3. Surrey - close to London, May be they be flexible with grades.
Grade requirement - 8.5 and above, nO LNAT
4. Southampton - Grade requirement 7.5 and above. Safe zone as an insurance
- No LNAT
I prepared this based on LNAT scores and mixture of relaxed grade requirements for indian students. That is the reason i haven't chosen UCL and KCL. What is published in the website on grade requirement is lesser than when i spoke to one of university representative. Not sure which one to believe. I haven;tt chosen Bristol , Birmigham for the reason that LNAT is required.

i am not sure which of the university has flexible policies. I see Notinggham has flexible policies and at the same time i see lot of rejections. What would be criteria in case of LNAT and school grades come below the expected one. Warwick - what do they look for in a person.

Are there any other universities i missed out that i should look for.

Thanks a lot

Can you please review my above comments and add additional inputs
Reply 8
sorry J-SP, I was sick last 2 days and came to work today. Thanks for the info. I am look at some schools with are decent in rankings and below Warwick and Exeter, where the admission have flexible policies. I do not have time rankigs for law.
Reply 9
I loved that article to another indian student on TCs and Tier-2 Visas . Especially thread 13
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3895335

I need an insurance in case my daughter didn't progress further after 3 year law degree. Thanks for the details info. You are doing a massive job in helping people especially parents not connected to legal and law. Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending