The Student Room Group

Further Reading for English Literature

I am going to be studying A Level English Literature starting in September and I wanted to do some reading around the topics beforehand, but my college never handed out a reading list like I expected.

I'll be studying the Eduqas exam board and the texts that I'll be reading are King Lear, The Duchess of Malfi and The Whitsun Weddings. What texts would you recommend reading to compliment these?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you doing anything specific with those texts, like any particular aspect of them, e.g. we looked at the concept of tragedy in our texts.

Regardless, for King Lear I would read another tragedy by Shakespeare (such as Othello), and maybe a comedy too, to see the differences?
Original post by DaisyTwilight
I am going to be studying A Level English Literature starting in September and I wanted to do some reading around the topics beforehand, but my college never handed out a reading list like I expected.

I'll be studying the Eduqas exam board and the texts that I'll be reading are King Lear, The Duchess of Malfi and The Whitsun Weddings. What texts would you recommend reading to compliment these?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Make sure you read the texts themselves, watch any movie adaptations and start looking for through the yorknotes as well as critic books on the both the author and the books. Also try rooting around on the internet as there are some great articles and other info sourcesGOOD LUCK
Original post by mughushed
Are you doing anything specific with those texts, like any particular aspect of them, e.g. we looked at the concept of tragedy in our texts.

Regardless, for King Lear I would read another tragedy by Shakespeare (such as Othello), and maybe a comedy too, to see the differences?

Apparently we're looking at the family aspects or something like that? To be honest I'm not entirely sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest