The Student Room Group

Transporting stuff to uni via plane??

So assuming results day goes as planned I will be moving from England to Northern Ireland for uni. My parents won't be able to drive me over and I want to get there as cheaply/quickly as possible, with going by plane being the best option for this.

My only concern then will be getting all of my stuff there. Will I be able to survive until christmas on two 20KG suitcases? (I will have my mum there to help with carrying stuff and I am willing to buy bulky stuff like kitchenware when I get there). I've seen a lot of people saying they needed to fill up whole cars with stuff so I'm worried that I won't be able to carry enough to get by... Any advice on alternative options as well would be great :biggrin:
Some people need whole cars, I only took one suitcase with me when I moved for uni

Just depends how you much you need/want to take
Original post by rachelthehuman
So assuming results day goes as planned I will be moving from England to Northern Ireland for uni. My parents won't be able to drive me over and I want to get there as cheaply/quickly as possible, with going by plane being the best option for this.

My only concern then will be getting all of my stuff there. Will I be able to survive until christmas on two 20KG suitcases? (I will have my mum there to help with carrying stuff and I am willing to buy bulky stuff like kitchenware when I get there). I've seen a lot of people saying they needed to fill up whole cars with stuff so I'm worried that I won't be able to carry enough to get by... Any advice on alternative options as well would be great :biggrin:

You'll be fine, you just won't be able to carry everything in one go. So you bring what you can on the plane with you, get your key for halls, dump that stuff then go out and buy kitchen items and bedding. You should be able to keep all your stuff in your university city for the next 3 years- if you can't move into your 2nd year house straight after moving out of halls then most cities have storage places.
Reply 3
Original post by AndrewSCO
Some people need whole cars, I only took one suitcase with me when I moved for uni

Just depends how you much you need/want to take

My parents don't own a car so I think I'm gonna just fill up a suitcase with clothes and nothing else and hope I survive lmao
Original post by fefssdf
My parents don't own a car so I think I'm gonna just fill up a suitcase with clothes and nothing else and hope I survive lmao

Yeah I only took clothes, then bought kitchen stuff and bed stuff there.

Probably harder for girls because they'll want to take hairdryers, straighteners, makeup etc with them.

And if you play sports or instruments gotta take rackets etc or the instruments with you too. Just depends on the person really
I read somewhere that most if not all universities have Starter Packs for around £20 which contain bedding and a few pans,etc. Just essentials to tide you over for the first few days until you can get to any nearby shops.
Reply 6
Yeah I only took clothes, then bought kitchen stuff and bed stuff there.

Probably harder for girls because they'll want to take hairdryers, straighteners, makeup etc with them.

And if you play sports or instruments gotta take rackets etc or the instruments with you too. Just depends on the person really

I'm female but
1) don't use a hairdryer
2) rarely use straighteners
3) don't own makeup
4) dont need kitchen stuff as going catered
5) don't own sports equipment
6) can't play an instrument

So I think that'll mean I can get away with one suitcas; I'll bring like 2 weeks worth of clothes and just alternate the stuff :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by markova21
I read somewhere that most if not all universities have Starter Packs for around £20 which contain bedding and a few pans,etc. Just essentials to tide you over for the first few days until you can get to any nearby shops.

Yeh most places do bedding packs you can order and collect when you get there aha
Original post by fefssdf
I'm female but
1) don't use a hairdryer
2) rarely use straighteners
3) don't own makeup
4) dont need kitchen stuff as going catered
5) don't own sports equipment
6) can't play an instrument

So I think that'll mean I can get away with one suitcas; I'll bring like 2 weeks worth of clothes and just alternate the stuff :smile:

You're sorted then :biggrin:
Reply 9
You're sorted then :biggrin:

I'll get all the comments like ' how did you fit everything in that one case ' from the girls transporting their ENTIRE wardrobe and shoe collection.
In terms of shoes I think I'll take sandals, converses and trainers to cover all situations
Original post by fefssdf
I'll get all the comments like ' how did you fit everything in that one case ' from the girls transporting their ENTIRE wardrobe and shoe collection.
In terms of shoes I think I'll take sandals, converses and trainers to cover all situations

Definitely will haha, I got that all the time and I'm a guy

Some people go overboard, I know someone who brought TWO cars worth of stuff to uni...
Definitely will haha, I got that all the time and I'm a guy

Some people go overboard, I know someone who brought TWO cars worth of stuff to uni...

Hahahahah LMAO I would be like ' mate you do realise the sink is included in halls ' . Yeh personally I just think what do I NEED to survive and I only need enough clothes to get me through like a week really and other stuff I can get cheap when I arrive eg. Toothbrush .... I'm guessing people bring things like extra pillows, blankets, rugs, maybe extra chairs or something insane. Do you know what this guy brought with them loool ? Two cars ; my parents don't even drive !!
Original post by fefssdf
Hahahahah LMAO I would be like ' mate you do realise the sink is included in halls ' . Yeh personally I just think what do I NEED to survive and I only need enough clothes to get me through like a week really and other stuff I can get cheap when I arrive eg. Toothbrush .... I'm guessing people bring things like extra pillows, blankets, rugs, maybe extra chairs or something insane. Do you know what this guy brought with them loool ? Two cars ; my parents don't even drive !!

hahah
Yeah I took toiletries too but other than that only clothes.
I'm not sure, I think it was just tons of clothes, shoes etc and maybe stuff like books, food.. I honestly don't know haha but she said it took 2 cars :biggrin:
hahah
Yeah I took toiletries too but other than that only clothes.
I'm not sure, I think it was just tons of clothes, shoes etc and maybe stuff like books, food.. I honestly don't know haha but she said it took 2 cars :biggrin:

Yh gosh I bet some people's parents make their kid bring tonnes of food as if they won't be fed for the first week and the clothes thing like the way I see it you're staying there for three seprarre stays like September - December time so then you will take autumn clothes and then after that winter clothes and then summer stuff in the last period rather than just bringing EVERYTHING like I think I'm just gonna take all my favourite items and leave the rest behind
Original post by fefssdf
Yh gosh I bet some people's parents make their kid bring tonnes of food as if they won't be fed for the first week and the clothes thing like the way I see it you're staying there for three seprarre stays like September - December time so then you will take autumn clothes and then after that winter clothes and then summer stuff in the last period rather than just bringing EVERYTHING like I think I'm just gonna take all my favourite items and leave the rest behind

Definitely, someone took up a whole freezer of food their mum cooked and gave them :laugh:

Tbh I don't even have seasonal clothes... I wear the same stuff all year round haha. I can't even think of enough stuff you could possibly take to fill 1 car with nevermind 2. Just not necessary?
Definitely, someone took up a whole freezer of food their mum cooked and gave them :laugh:

Tbh I don't even have seasonal clothes... I wear the same stuff all year round haha. I can't even think of enough stuff you could possibly take to fill 1 car with nevermind 2. Just not necessary?

well yh well I think about it i probably wear the same stuff all year round minus skirts in the winter and yh same if i did transport everything from my room then it wouldnt fail up a car anyways unless i took my desk with me and oh wow lmao about the person bringing all the food ; at least the uni i should be going to is catered and even includes money to get lunch each day so nobody has an excuse to be bringing food with them but then again you get a fridge in your room so someone's parent might clock on and bring food to fill it up so their child doesn't starve !
you could look at shipping stuff but to take much more than what you have you will start having to pay a lot of money out

I think 2 x 20kg bags (remember you'll get a 10kg hand luggage and often a handbag too) should be fine providing you buy all your household items when you get there... remember these people filling up cars have duvets, pillows, bedding, laundry basket, cushions/posters/decorations, kitchenware, TV - all sorts of 100% not necessary stuff! Just try and do a practice pack nice and early and think carefully about what you take, be strategic about heavy items like shoes and think of alternatives where possible e.g. get a kindle rather than taking paperbacks if you like reading

Quick Reply

Latest