The Student Room Group

Can I go to clearing AFTER accepting an offer?

Hi all,

I accepted an unconditional offer for a university about half a year ago, but I've decided to drop out and takea gap year.

However, if I can, I'd be interested in seeing what I can get through clearing instead.

I haven't actually dropped out of the university yet, but I rather intend to.

What I'm asking is can I go to clearing, looking for another university on a completely different course, after dropping out of a University I've already accepted an unconditional for?

Also, if yes, any ideas how should I go about doing that?
Yes you can, you need the currently university to release you. :smile:
Original post by similarBlank
Hi all,

I accepted an unconditional offer for a university about half a year ago, but I've decided to drop out and takea gap year.

However, if I can, I'd be interested in seeing what I can get through clearing instead.

What I'm asking is can I go to clearing, looking for another university on a completely different course, after dropping out of a University I've already accepted an unconditional for?

You can ask the university to release you into clearing. It would be wise to contact universities you are interested in and see if they have clearing spaces for the course you want first though.
Original post by acontium

Can they refuse to do that?
Can they refuse to do that?

I believe so but never heard it happen.
Original post by acontium

Oh, yeah, also do I have to specifically say I want them to release me into clearing or can I just tell them I want to drop out and then go to UCAS and enter clearing seperately?
Hi all,

Contact the university and they'll release you into Clearing, though it may take several days. But don't rush decisions once you're in Clearing - even if you find an ostensibly-perfect course, without significant research you may not pick up on the aspects you wouldn't like, whether it's the course modules, university facilities or even just the style of the campus. Additionally, universities can't necessarily guarantee accommodation for Clearing applicants, so you might struggle to find appropriate private accommodation; it's worth asking about that when contacting universities.
Hi all,

Oh, yeah, also do I have to specifically say I want them to release me into clearing or can I just tell them I want to drop out and then go to UCAS and enter clearing seperately?

As has been said, you need to contact them and ask them to release you. I have only heard of one case where a university refused to release a student at my sixth firm and eventually after much pressure from the head of upper sixth, they did release said student. However, that all took place on results day so you are going to want to contact them ASAP so it's sorted out before then and you don't end up in a similar situation.

I believe that you only have to ask to be released. If you are released, you will automatically be in clearing as you will not be holding offers from any university.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Contact the university and they'll release you into Clearing, though it may take several days.

Can I do that by email? Is so, is it the Head Of Admissions I contact?

I'm not exactly sure of the process, but if you're in the UK then it's probably best to phone them instead - it'll be a quicker process. If you do want to email, then the Head of Admissions would probably be the right person, though any relevant admissions email addresses that they list on their website would be fine.
I'm not exactly sure of the process, but if you're in the UK then it's probably best to phone them instead - it'll be a quicker process. If you do want to email, then the Head of Admissions would probably be the right person, though any relevant admissions email addresses that they list on their website would be fine.

And I literally just say 'I'd like to be released into clearing. Thanks.'

Do I have to give a reason or something? I feel like I shuld put 'due to unforeseen circumstances' or something. It kind of feels like I'm punching someone in the face and then asking them for a favour. :tongue:

P.S. Sorry for the details I'm getting into here. I'm just someone who likes to make sure I get things right. :tongue:

Just get on the phone, have some balls and ask a real person. That way they can let youy know quickly rather than hanging about. You cna try by e-mail but then they will deal with it when they get round to it and in the meantime the clearing places are dwindling as other people take them.

They arent going to refuse to let you go as they wont wnat a student who diesnt want to be there. Just let them know asap so they have a chance to make the place available to someone who might want it.
And I literally just say 'I'd like to be released into clearing. Thanks.'

Do I have to give a reason or something? I feel like I shuld put 'due to unforeseen circumstances' or something. It kind of feels like I'm punching someone in the face and then asking them for a favour. :tongue:

P.S. Sorry for the details I'm getting into here. I'm just someone who likes to make sure I get things right. :tongue:

It's best to at least give a brief reason. There's no good reason why they won't release you, but they'll expect at least some kind of explanation and will probably keep contacting you - or perhaps delay releasing you - unless you explain why. Your tone is up to you, but keep it polite and professional, maybe thanking them for the opportunity but saying that you realised that particular course and university wasn't right for you. Make sure you include your specific details - at the very least your UCAS code, and if the uni has provided you with a code themselves, include that as well. Don't be surprised if they ask you to call them.
It's best to at least give a brief reason. There's no good reason why they won't release you, but they'll expect at least some kind of explanation and will probably keep contacting you - or perhaps delay releasing you - unless you explain why. Your tone is up to you, but keep it polite and professional, maybe thanking them for the opportunity but saying that you realised that particular course and university wasn't right for you. Make sure you include your specific details - at the very least your UCAS code, and if the uni has provided you with a code themselves, include that as well. Don't be surprised if they ask you to call them.

Dont think they need a reason. Changed his mind should do.
Cant see them being satisfied just by an e-mail to agree to cancel the course as they would need some sort of verification that the person writing it was the person entitled to cancel.
Universities have to give a reason to UCAS for all releases into Clearing.

You don't need to volunteer one - but they are likely to ask you why you'r asking for it to happen.
If you want to do this - do it NOW.

Once Universities get results (weekend of 13/14 Aug) they are mega-busy and may not able to quickly release you.
If you do it now you will know exactly where you stand for Results Day, not waiting about for days watching all the places in Clearing fill up without you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending