The Student Room Group

How to get an 'a' at as level chemistry and biology ?!

Hi this is the account holders younger brother. Next year I will be studying both as level chemistry, biology, maths and history. I really want to do medicine ane am hoping to receive 2 A's in Chem, biol and 2 b's in as history and maths. I really want to receiver 2 As in Chem and Biology as these are two subjects I am genuinely interested in and really want to do well in. I'm hoping for a b in as maths as I know that maths is not my stronger subject although I need it for med, but is it wise to think that if I get my As in Chem and biol I would feel less pressure in A2 to push up my grades and just maintain whilst with maths is happily then be able to work really hard to maintain the b or get the A ( I will be dropping history hence am aiming for a b as I won't be carrying it on and don't want to focus all my energy into history)

Now to the main Q, HOW DO YOU GET AN A IN ASLEVEL CHEMISTRY AND BIOLOGY?! I know there's a lot more subject content in a levels and everyone says make notes and do past papers ( what I do anyway) but there surely must be something else that gives the A because all of my sisters who are very intelligent and now pharmacists worked so hard during a levels making notes and past papers etc yet got Bs only a couple of mark short the A. Please leave genuine answers and thanks in advance !
Reply 1
Original post by mass_
Hi this is the account holders younger brother. Next year I will be studying both as level chemistry, biology, maths and history. I really want to do medicine ane am hoping to receive 2 A's in Chem, biol and 2 b's in as history and maths. I really want to receiver 2 As in Chem and Biology as these are two subjects I am genuinely interested in and really want to do well in. I'm hoping for a b in as maths as I know that maths is not my stronger subject although I need it for med, but is it wise to think that if I get my As in Chem and biol I would feel less pressure in A2 to push up my grades and just maintain whilst with maths is happily then be able to work really hard to maintain the b or get the A ( I will be dropping history hence am aiming for a b as I won't be carrying it on and don't want to focus all my energy into history)

Now to the main Q, HOW DO YOU GET AN A IN ASLEVEL CHEMISTRY AND BIOLOGY?! I know there's a lot more subject content in a levels and everyone says make notes and do past papers ( what I do anyway) but there surely must be something else that gives the A because all of my sisters who are very intelligent and now pharmacists worked so hard during a levels making notes and past papers etc yet got Bs only a couple of mark short the A. Please leave genuine answers and thanks in advance !

Do a lot of past papers for both biology and chemistry ( i mean all the past papers that are available from new and some old sylabus) and make notes or get the notes from some websites like chemrevise ,physics, maths tutor and Vbio (that what i did anyway). When doing past papers try to look for patterns and type of question that always come up every years and also LEARN the markschemes. Ask teacher for help if you dont understand the question or thinga that you learn in class and ask him to go over it again and ask for extra or extension questions as well.
Reply 2
Original post by mass_

You mention less pressure in A2 if you get high AS grades but don't forget that A LEVELS HAVE CHANGED. AS DOES NOT COUNT TOWARDS A2 AND THE GRADES THAT COUNT WILL ALL BE AFTER THE 2 YEARS - NO POINTS FROM FIRST YEAR CARRYING OVER!
Reply 3
Original post by Rigby16
You mention less pressure in A2 if you get high AS grades but don't forget that A LEVELS HAVE CHANGED. AS DOES NOT COUNT TOWARDS A2 AND THE GRADES THAT COUNT WILL ALL BE AFTER THE 2 YEARS - NO POINTS FROM FIRST YEAR CARRYING OVER!

What the helllll! I don't understand how does this system work? 😰😰😰 I'm going to be doing the wjec board and in Wales does this count ??

Quick Reply

Latest