The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Robby2312
I hope you're not serious.The mere fact that humans can choose to eat meat proves we're not herbivores.Herbivores dont have a choice they have to eat plants as they cant digest meat.Seriously try giving a cow meat and nothing else see what happens.

Social conditioning. Try giving a human meat and nothing else and see what happens?

Carnivore/omnivore babies will kill their prey no problem

When was the last time you saw a human baby kill an animal to eat it?

It simply isn't in our psychology to deal with hunting and killing. We will not and cannot deal with it. Actually, one study found that slaughter house workers suffered from severe PTSD and such work was voted as an ultra hazardous activity.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Romanoff
Social conditioning. Try giving a human meat and nothing else and see what happens?

It simply isn't in our psychology to deal with hunting and killing. We will not and cannot deal with it. Actually, one study found that slaughter house workers suffered from severe PTSD and such work was voted as an ultra hazardous activity.

I'm gonna say that the human would survive a lot longer than a cow on purely meat.Social conditioning seriously? Couldnt just be that humans like the taste of meat.Carnivore and omnivore babies dont just instantly kill their prey.Lion cubs and cheetah cubs have to learn to hunt from their mother they dont just instantly know how to do it.Its obviously in our psychology to deal with hunting and killing since we've actually been doing it for millenia.You're the one going against the entire scientific community by saying that humans are herbivores.Its agreed that humans are omnivores and I trust their opinion a lot more than the PETA website.
Original post by Jay1421
You can eat raw steak and fish, as well as bacon and pork. You can, strictly, eat raw chicken, but it can cause salmonella as our digestive tracts are longer than that of other animals which do eat raw chicken, so the bacteria is given longer to colonise, increasing infection likelihood.

Humans, originally, weren't meant to eat meat. Eventually, however, due to a combination of self-awareness and natural selection, it became a necessity that we ate meat to survive. That is why many people use human teeth as proof that humans "shouldn't eat meat" - we have teeth comparable to those of herbivores, not carnivores - this is simply because our cultural and necessary transition to meat-eating occurred faster than evolution of teeth.

I worked with a guy who ate hand fulls of raw bacon and when he cooked a steak he would get the skillet real hot and cook a 1 inch T-bone for maybe 3min on each side.
Watching him eat the steak wasn't bad but seeing him eat the bacon made me wanna puke.
I hope you're not serious.The mere fact that humans can choose to eat meat proves we're not herbivores.Herbivores dont have a choice they have to eat plants as they cant digest meat.Seriously try giving a cow meat and nothing else see what happens.

Humans don't eat raw meat because we don't have the stomach acidity that carnivores and omnivores have to prevent food poisoning. Therefore humans cook meat and this suggests humans are herbivores.

Here is a link you should you should look at:

http://prime.peta.org/2009/10/yes-its-true-humans-arent-meant-to-eat-meat
Original post by BobSausage
Sanitation. It's better for you to eat raw meat but our immune systems are weaker now than they once were so we cook it to kill bacteria. It also adds a lot of flavour.

Also freshness surely. If you kill the meat and eat it straight away as animals do in the wild, then it's less likely to harbour bacteria. Although would still have parasites etc, but that's the risk all animals take.
Original post by Romanoff

Do lion cubs hunt or do their mothers brings back food for them?
Original post by oldercon1953
I worked with a guy who ate hand fulls of raw bacon and when he cooked a steak he would get the skillet real hot and cook a 1 inch T-bone for maybe 3min on each side.
Watching him eat the steak wasn't bad but seeing him eat the bacon made me wanna puke.

My Aunt used to eat raw sausage when she was younger.
It's going to be fun playing "Spot The Vegan" in this thread :tongue:
Original post by pilock
Why does it have to be cooked?

If humans are meant to eat meat- then why can they survive without eating meat and still be healthy?

Just because you can do something it doesn't mean you are meant to do it. Just because you were born into a society were something is the norm- it doesn't mean it was meant to be that way. Just because something has been happening for thousands of years it doesn't mean it has to continue happening. All these arguments that are made for meat is weak.

We can eat raw meat, its just a lie i mean a myth perpetuated by the big corporations to sell you teflon pans and fancy ovens. My cat eats raw meat he doesnt get sick but cats cant buy Teflon pans and new kitchen
Original post by Dapperblook22
It's going to be fun playing "Spot The Vegan" in this thread :tongue:

This made me laugh so hard I nearly split my snakeskin pants. :smile:
Original post by Atlas Thugged
OP is a salty vegetarian, he doesn't care about facts. You can see this from the low test passive-aggression inherent in his posts, you must eat at least one steak every day to to avoid turning into him.

Guys. Come on.

Yes the OP is being over the top. But it is common knowledge that a vegetarian diet is healthier than a meat based diet. So no, I would not encourage eating one steak a day. I also think you are showing a blatant disregard for environmental sustainability and animal welfare, as well as a blatant disregard for human health.

I think eating meat a couple of times a week is perfectly fine but the need to eat meat every day is just greedy.
Original post by JamesN88
This made me laugh so hard I neairly split my snakeskin pants. :smile:

That's hilarious! :rofl: If you like I can send you a video of a mink being skinned alive for fur, and I bet you'd cry like a little pussy? 😘
Original post by Twinpeaks
That's hilarious! :rofl: If you like I can send you a video of a mink being skinned alive for fur, and I bet you'd cry like a little pussy? 😘

Cry like the pussy cat I ran over deliberately the other day.
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b2E86dE_law[/video]

Yum yum.
Original post by Twinpeaks
My Aunt used to eat raw sausage when she was younger.

I've eaten a lot of raw chocolate chip cookie dough. Maybe a thick slice of raw sausage between two chocolate chip cookies. yummy.
Original post by JamesN88
Cry like the pussy cat I ran over deliberately the other day.

Cats don't cry hun x
It's very touching that you obviously hate meat eaters so much and consider them morally repugnant, yet you still want to convert them into vegans.
I'm gonna say that the human would survive a lot longer than a cow on purely meat.Social conditioning seriously? Couldnt just be that humans like the taste of meat.Carnivore and omnivore babies dont just instantly kill their prey.Lion cubs and cheetah cubs have to learn to hunt from their mother they dont just instantly know how to do it.Its obviously in our psychology to deal with hunting and killing since we've actually been doing it for millenia.You're the one going against the entire scientific community by saying that humans are herbivores.Its agreed that humans are omnivores and I trust their opinion a lot more than the PETA website.

You misunderstand, this isn't a race for who would die first on a pure meat diet.

Humans evolved differently under different environmental pressures to cows. Cows are anatomically suited to digesting roughage including grass, grains etc. We evolved with a more varied diet and cooking which made it easier for us to break down substances.

Yes social conditioning, the exact same thing that stops you from eating a dog or a cat. Answer me this: why cows, pigs and chickens? Why not horses, cats and dogs? I'm sure you'd like the taste of insect too, doesn't mean you should consume them.

Oh, we've been doing it for millennia. I'm sorry, I was just talking about myself, I personally wouldn't be able to kill an animal and I highly doubt I'd go crazy at the smell of blood and the sight of intestines, but maybe that's just me.

I said that humans do best on a plant based diet and are thus herbivores. Just because we eat animals doesn't make us omnivores. The entire scientific community agrees that a vegan diet is healthier. Complete disregard for your own health is fine by me though :wink: Believe what you want. Meat is healthy af for sure!!!11
Original post by jaffacakes101
Humans don't eat raw meat because we don't have the stomach acidity that carnivores and omnivores have to prevent food poisoning. Therefore humans cook meat and this suggests humans are herbivores.

Here is a link you should you should look at:

http://prime.peta.org/2009/10/yes-its-true-humans-arent-meant-to-eat-meat

Humans can eat raw meat as other people have pointed out on this thread.Other animals can get ill from eating raw meat but they eat it fresh wheras we store it then eat it so its more dangerous for us.Humans probably cook meat because it provides us with an evolotionary advantage over those early humans that didnt cook meat since we're less likely to die of disease.Hence our revulsion when faced with dead carcasses which are likely crawling with deadly bacteria.So there is an evolotionary reason for why we'd prefer cooked meat.If you're going to link websites please dont link to websites as obviously biased as PETA.The other day they claimed that pokemon go was animal cruelty.There are good arguments to advocate vegetarianism but dont claim that humans are herbivores because if you do you lose all credibility.
don't claim that humans are herbivores because if you do you lose all credibility.

Cats eat grass, does this make them omnivores?

Latest