The Student Room Group

If/ when to have tonsils out

I've had a few bouts of tonsilitis over the past year or so and am now getting regular tonsil stones. The tonsil stones aren't too bothersome for me, but are irritating to know are there and can make my throat taste nasty sometimes.
The tonsilitis is not too painfull for me but does, due to other medical conditions, mean that I am unable to do pretty much anything for about a month. It will make me exhausted to the extent I can hardly stay awake for like 6 hours let alone do anything in that time and will also tend to lead to reccurant other infections (uits etc).

Anyway I saw an ent and he said he could take my tonsils out if I wanted, but that the usual rule is to wait to have tonsilitis x times in x years which I haven't had or for tonsil stones to be really annoying (like constant bad breath, soreness and nasty taste). He is still completely willing to take them out though and has left it up to me.

I was just wondering what other people might suggest. My main question is wheather i'm likely to need them out sooner or later anyway so I should just nip it in the bud now. Like once you have the tonsil stones is there any chance they'll just stop forming at any point or am I going to keep having them unless I get my tonsils out? ENT also implied that tonsil stones make tonsilitis more likely and tonsilitis makes stones more likely so am I in a vicious cycle that's just going to keep getting worse until I get the surgery?

What are the downsides to tonsilectomy? I know it hurts and all, but your tonsils are meant to intercept infectious germs and stuff aren't they? So would I be more likely to get chest infections and things?

It's also a consideration that I currently have medical insurance so could get it done privately but soon I will not have that insurance.

A big part of me is telling me that I should get it out of the way but at the same time I can't help but think it's stupid to get surgery for some veguely annoying lumps in my throat. Oh and btw I can't really ask a doctor for advice since it costs me to see the ent and the doctors at my surgery don't actually know what tonsil stones are (no seriously they actually had to google it!)

Thanks for any advice or input :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I've had a few bouts of tonsilitis over the past year or so and am now getting regular tonsil stones. The tonsil stones aren't too bothersome for me, but are irritating to know are there and can make my throat taste nasty sometimes.
The tonsilitis is not too painfull for me but does, due to other medical conditions, mean that I am unable to do pretty much anything for about a month. It will make me exhausted to the extent I can hardly stay awake for like 6 hours let alone do anything in that time and will also tend to lead to reccurant other infections (uits etc).

Anyway I saw an ent and he said he could take my tonsils out if I wanted, but that the usual rule is to wait to have tonsilitis x times in x years which I haven't had or for tonsil stones to be really annoying (like constant bad breath, soreness and nasty taste). He is still completely willing to take them out though and has left it up to me.

I was just wondering what other people might suggest. My main question is wheather i'm likely to need them out sooner or later anyway so I should just nip it in the bud now. Like once you have the tonsil stones is there any chance they'll just stop forming at any point or am I going to keep having them unless I get my tonsils out? ENT also implied that tonsil stones make tonsilitis more likely and tonsilitis makes stones more likely so am I in a vicious cycle that's just going to keep getting worse until I get the surgery?

What are the downsides to tonsilectomy? I know it hurts and all, but your tonsils are meant to intercept infectious germs and stuff aren't they? So would I be more likely to get chest infections and things?

It's also a consideration that I currently have medical insurance so could get it done privately but soon I will not have that insurance.

A big part of me is telling me that I should get it out of the way but at the same time I can't help but think it's stupid to get surgery for some veguely annoying lumps in my throat. Oh and btw I can't really ask a doctor for advice since it costs me to see the ent and the doctors at my surgery don't actually know what tonsil stones are (no seriously they actually had to google it!)

Thanks for any advice or input :smile:

Personally, I'd get it done. It's better than having to worry about in all in the future. It's a quick and simple surgery with a fast recovery time, so it's not too much to worry about either, and the surgeon would go over any risks with you. When I was about 8, I had a minor surgery to cut part of my tongue away and reattach the webbing underneath in a different place. It used to get caught around my teeth a bit. It wasn't serious, it just hurt when it did. It didn't affect my speech or anything, so I usually wouldn't be eligible, but the ENT gave me the option and I took it. I definitely don't regret it. It's weird how such a little thing can change so much. It's completely up to you to decide how much it impacts you. If you feel like it is affecting your quality of life, and it sounds like it may be as you mentioned the long recovery time from it each time, then it's definitely worth seriously considering.
I had it done at a verryy young age , when i was like 3-4 i think idek but yeah you should do it tbh
Reply 3
it is a couple of weeks recovery time (had mine out last year, am 22 now) the pain really sucks, but honestly the positives outweigh the negs! feel
better soon
I had mine or a few years ago because I had tonsil stones. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made and I didn't realise just how miserable they were making me feel until I was rid of them. I would recommend getting them taken out as soon as you can, it's a quick procedure and you shouldn't need to stay overnight. The recovery time is fairly short and the pain subsides quickly. It wasn't as painful as having tonsillitis is. I can't say I have noticed any negative consequences, I have fewer infections not more. Best of luck making your decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest