The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Conditional offer to unconditional before results day

Dmu gave me a conditional offer back in feburary and I just recieved a letter saying dmu have confirmed my place in the course I want to do. I dont understand how they can do this wayy BEFORE results day, does this mean they know my grades??! I put them as my insurance choice but on the letter they say that I have 14 days to accept the offer or not! Track states that my place has been confirmed if I dont meet the conditions of my firm.

This is so confusing, what shall I do?
Reply 1
the university receives your grades before hand
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by Sandra1
the university receives your grades before hand

For A levels, they get the results on the Sunday before results day - there's no way that the university knows their results.
Reply 3
Original post by doctorwhofan98
For A levels, they get the results on the Sunday before results day - there's no way that the university knows their results.

well from my experience from last year I had my conditional offer from dmu changed unconditional a week before which meant they received my results before
Original post by justastudent321
Dmu gave me a conditional offer back in feburary and I just recieved a letter saying dmu have confirmed my place in the course I want to do. I dont understand how they can do this wayy BEFORE results day, does this mean they know my grades??! I put them as my insurance choice but on the letter they say that I have 14 days to accept the offer or not! Track states that my place has been confirmed if I dont meet the conditions of my firm.

They won't know your A leve grades - sounds if they are short on numbers for the course. Ring them up - how can you accept when they are your insurance?

It's a marketing thing. They don't have your results. They just want to hang onto students and know how many they are going to get in advance. Accept it if you want it. Don't be swayed if you don't.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
It's a marketing thing. They don't have your results. They just want to hang onto students and know how many they are going to get in advance. Accept it if you want it. Don't be swayed if you don't.

Ahh makes sense, though they may have been given my grade for my btec course which I achieved distinction in as they get sent to universities before a level grades- am I not correct?. Also on the letter they sent, it states that they have given me an unconditional on the basis of my grades- like you said they dont have my a levels so I am assuming that they possibly gave me the unconditional because of my btec.
Still that doesn't sound right to me, so I shall ring them up and ask.
Thank you
Ahh makes sense, though they may have been given my grade for my btec course which I achieved distinction in as they get sent to universities before a level grades- am I not correct?. Also on the letter they sent, it states that they have given me an unconditional on the basis of my grades- like you said they dont have my a levels so I am assuming that they possibly gave me the unconditional because of my btec.
Still that doesn't sound right to me, so I shall ring them up and ask.
Thank you

If you did a Btec then yes, they will have had your results and they will have decided they don't care about your A levels. Congratulations - you're in!
If you did a Btec then yes, they will have had your results and they will have decided they don't care about your A levels. Congratulations - you're in!

Except it's his insurance and 14 days to accept? Does that mean the offer expires before the A level results and he then reverts to having them on insurance as to whatever conditions were attached to the offer?
Original post by 999tigger
Except it's his insurance and 14 days to accept? Does that mean the offer expires before the A level results and he then reverts to having them on insurance as to whatever conditions were attached to the offer?

My bad - didn't re-read the OP. I think this is one for greater brains than mine, because it looks like an impossibility. I will summon the god of UCAS:
@PQ
My bad - didn't re-read the OP. I think this is one for greater brains than mine, because it looks like an impossibility. I will summon the god of UCAS:
@PQ

Only raised it as it seems like a bit of a trick to get people to accept or it may just be a general marketing ploy and less sinister.

If I were the OP I would either contact DMU and seek clarification or just wait for the results as the firm would be a firm for a reason.

I wont lose sleep over it.
Only raised it as it seems like a bit of a trick to get people to accept or it may just be a general marketing ploy and less sinister.

If I were the OP I would either contact DMU and seek clarification or just wait for the results as the firm would be a firm for a reason.

I wont lose sleep over it.

Yes, it seems a bit iffy, and I don't see how they can accept it ahead of results day without pulling out of their firm, not least because UCAS goes into lockdown a week in advance of that. It looks like a rather desperate inducement and an attempt to pressurise OP.

Yes, I'm assuming so. A bit naughty, I think.

Sounds like a mix up on the letter they've sent. Track supercedes any letters.

Contact your firm to find out when they'll make a decision and ring up dmu to let them know you can't (and won't) accept any offers from them as your insurance until your firm has made a decision.
Original post by PQ
Sounds like a mix up on the letter they've sent. Track supercedes any letters.

Contact your firm to find out when they'll make a decision and ring up dmu to let them know you can't (and won't) accept any offers from them as your insurance until your firm has made a decision.

Thanks for confirming it didn't make sense! I lose faith in my own knowledge increasingly often these days!
Probablt makes more sense if we had the letter in front of us. If I was unsure then am sure we would all ring for clarification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending