The Student Room Group

Are you a mouth or nose breather?

So we should all be actually breathing through our noses, the potential benefits:

Dr. John Douillard claims that nose breathing enhances deep breathing in which the diaphragm contracts and increases the cavities of the lungs. Because the majority of the blood is located at the bottom of the lungs, more oxygen will be absorbed into the blood. The slower release of air through the nostrils will keep air in the lungs for a longer period of time, furthering the absorption of oxygen. With more effective breathing, the heart rate is reduced, less stress is placed on the heart, greater stamina, and rapid recovery from sport activities. Nose breathing becomes the function of the parasympathetic nervous system and leads to improved concentration and performance helps to stay calm, relaxed, and focused while in the "zone." Dr. Douillard calls the zone, "being in the eye of the hurricane" calm and powerful!

Scroll to see replies

I breathe through my nose when i sleep but its not the best of noises :P
Nose breather.
Nose ofc..
Nose unless it's hayfever season. Then it's mouth with constant obnoxious sniffing.
Erm both I think :/
Original post by BasicMistake
Nose unless it's hayfever season. Then it's mouth with constant obnoxious sniffing.

Same here, usually just through my nose. Then one day the pollen count is especially high and I turn into Darth Vader
Both
Reply 8
Mouth breather. It takes more air into lungs through one breath.
Nose unless it gets blocked.
mouth breathing messes your face up too
Reply 11
Blowhole
Mouth, I struggle to with my nose because I have sinusitis (medicine has failed to get rid of it and the only option left is surgery, and there is sth like a 1 in 500 chance of the surgery damaging the bone btwn the back of the nose and the eye which can lead to blindness and honestly im not risking that lmao).
Nose unless it's blocked. The sound of my own breathing annoys me and who knows how much it bugs everyone else?
Nose.:h:
There's a reason "mouth breather" gets used as an insult (or at least, used to. Dunno if it's still about any more, haven't heard anyone use it for a while).
Nose, except when I'm walking. When I walk, even though I'm not out of breath, I breathe through my mouth.
Nose

Spoiler

Nose in winter, mouth in summer :colondollar:
Nose. I honestly don't know how anyone can continue to breathe through their mouth unless they're sick. People can smell your breathe and flies might even fly in there.

Quick Reply

Latest