The Student Room Group

After GCSEs

What is the maximum A-level topics I can pick and when do they ask us this?
I want to choose the following:
-Maths/Further maths
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Physics
-Computing

Is this actually possible to do?
Original post by TheContingency
What is the maximum A-level topics I can pick and when do they ask us this?
I want to choose the following:
-Maths/Further maths
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Physics
-Computing

Is this actually possible to do?

That's entirely up to your school, and all schools have different policies and timescales. That's too many subjects. Three or four are the norm for a reason.
It wouldn't really be necessary to do 5 Alevels as universities give offers for 3 Alevels. Most people do 4 AS levels then carry on 3 to A2. Due to the changing of the A levels, a lot of colleges advise to do 3 subjects for the 2 years as the AS year no longer counts towards your A levels (used to be 50% AS 50% A2)
One too isn't too many is it? I am REALLY interested in these subjects and want to push myself to the limit. I just want to go to study in Oxford and want to maximise my chances....
One too isn't too many is it? I am REALLY interested in these subjects and want to push myself to the limit. I just want to go to study in Oxford and want to maximise my chances....

It is. The workload will be too much. It's 2 more than what most people do and AAA looks better than AABBB.
Reply 5

You probably have found GCSEs bearable, but A Levels are on a whole new level of difficulty. If you get 4A*s, you stand a pretty good chance of getting into Oxbridge.

Having 5 A-levels won't increase your chances at Oxford.
Original post by t s
You probably have found GCSEs bearable, but A Levels are on a whole new level of difficulty. If you get 4A*s, you stand a pretty good chance of getting into Oxbridge.

Is it hard to get there? My goal in life is to study medicine there but I go to an academy (not a private school). I have a fat chance right?
Seeing as it looks like you want to go down the Computing route (or why else would you really pick it?) maybe just choose Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing.
I doubt your school will allow you to do more, especially because they're all really heavy subjects.

EDIT: didn't see your above comment about medicine. If that's the case, pick Bio, Chem and then any one of the others. You don't need 6 nor will unis look more favourably upon you for doing so.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Having 5 A-levels won't increase your chances at Oxford.

Why not? It shows that you are more capable right?
Generally students don't take more than 4 A Levels, 5 is unnecessary as universities almost always make offers based on 3 subjects only, including Oxford. It would be better to get 3 or 4 good grades as opposed to 5 mediocre ones (I'm not saying you wouldn't do well if you took 5, but it would be much easier to do well if you took less than that).
Is it hard to get there? My goal in life is to study medicine there but I go to an academy (not a private school). I have a fat chance right?

It doesn't matter about which school you currently attend but, your GCSE grades as well as A level results. Oxford require a certain number of A*s at GCSE no matter what school you've attended
Reply 12

Depends on how you do in your A Levels. You don't need Computer Science tbh, AABB will do. Just make sure your Biology and Chemistry are up to a high standard and you should be sorted :smile:

Also, what your GCSE predictions?
Yeah the sciences and maths are a walk in the park for me . English isn't and I am really worried about it. I'm doing the 9-1 AQA version.
How do I get a level 9 on that? What qualities do I need to achieve the highest level?
Why not? It shows that you are more capable right?

Because their entry requirements are based off 3 A-levels. Generally A-levels aren't an accurate measurement of how capable a person is for a course. Which is why universities like Oxbridge have entrance exams or tests

Oxford are looking for the brightest and the best. 5 A-levels( if completed successfully) shows you're hard working. Sometimes that just isn't enough.
(edited 7 years ago)
Just do Maths, Bio and Chem (like I'm doing) cos u wanna study Medicine. End of! My school only allow people from this year (the year I'm entering Sixth form) to do 3 for AS AND A2 and it's really hard to do 4 because you need to have really high GCSE grades and then interview with the head of school team, head teacher etc..

Quick Reply