The Student Room Group

A Level options

I would seriously appreciate some help with choosing my A levels. Firstly, I will tell you a little about myself so that you have some extra information to go on. I have wanted to be a vet for certain since I was very little and still do, but I am not entirely certain anymore. Still, whatever I do will hopefully be something quite academically challenging and will almost certainly be related to animals.

GCSE was very stressful for me for many reasons, including that I went to an awful school (this has been fixed for A Level), which means that I didn't love any subject and thus am finding it very difficult to make any decisions. I aim to put in every effort I have to achieve the highest grades possible. I am predicted As and A*s in all subjects, just to give you an idea of what I am likely to be able to cope with.

It may seem a bit silly, with wanting to be a vet, but I've previously been best at humanities, particularly History (although this could have something to do with these departments being the best ones in the school. I began enjoying more science-y subjects as I was revising them and self-teaching, which makes me think I could be better at them with better teachers. Geography interests me, but it was one of my worst subjects at GCSE - this again could partially be due to a teacher who got a D at A Level!

My definites are Chemistry and Biology as these are essential for veterinary school and I want to keep that path open. There is one column where there is nothing I would like to take, so I am opting for Sociology. However, the options for my final choice are:
*English Lang-Lit
*English Lit
*Geography
*History

I would be really grateful for any advice at all, as well as any personal experiences. I would like to be choosing my options with veterinary medicine as the end goal as they are still likely to allow me to go into other animal-related paths if I change my mind. Thank you so much, in advance!
And you are planning to spend the next 2 years doing these subjects?
Reply 2
I'd suggest you take Maths as your final option. It also goes well with Chemistry and Biology.

Have a read of this, it's very useful.
Reply 3
Geography is good for Vet Med and you might learn something useful. However, you're not going to learn anything there that you wouldn't on the degree itself.*

English Lit over Lit-Lang. The Lit-Lang course is not as good as either of the individual lit or lang courses. If you do English Lit and you have good teachers you might find it a relaxing course to do alongside your science courses. You need to keep your essay skills in check though.*

History - it's a good subject, content heavy. If you enjoy it, that won't matter.*
Reply 4
Thank you all so much :smile:

Original post by Cap.Henry Avery
And you are planning to spend the next 2 years doing these subjects?

Yes, apart from Sociology, which I will drop after the first year probably.

Original post by t s
I'd suggest you take Maths as your final option. It also goes well with Chemistry and Biology.

Have a read of this, it's very useful.

Thanks for your advice. I would love to take Maths, but I had to work only on Maths for a few months before my exam to get the grade I wanted at GCSE and I'm worried I wouldn't be able to do well at A Level. I have read that only Oxford and Cambridge require a Science-y subject like Maths as the third one. I have talked to other universities and they have said, out of the ones I'm considering, it shouldn't matter. Do you think this is right?

Original post by giella
Geography is good for Vet Med and you might learn something useful. However, you're not going to learn anything there that you wouldn't on the degree itself.*

English Lit over Lit-Lang. The Lit-Lang course is not as good as either of the individual lit or lang courses. If you do English Lit and you have good teachers you might find it a relaxing course to do alongside your science courses. You need to keep your essay skills in check though.*

History - it's a good subject, content heavy. If you enjoy it, that won't matter.*

Thank you! Have you taken any of these yourself and, if so, what did you think? Oh right, ok, thanks. I have also heard that Literature is more highly regarded anyway.
Reply 5
Original post by Beth141299
Thanks for your advice. I would love to take Maths, but I had to work only on Maths for a few months before my exam to get the grade I wanted at GCSE and I'm worried I wouldn't be able to do well at A Level. I have read that only Oxford and Cambridge require a Science-y subject like Maths as the third one. I have talked to other universities and they have said, out of the ones I'm considering, it shouldn't matter. Do you think this is right?

Yes, they're right - it's not important whether you take Maths or not. It would just make you stand out from all other applicants. Take a subject that you know you're going to enjoy and will do well in - that's what's important. :smile:

I hope you get the GCSE results you deserve, and best of luck with your A Levels!
Reply 6
Original post by t s
Yes, they're right - it's not important whether you take Maths or not. It would just make you stand out from all other applicants. Take a subject that you know you're going to enjoy and will do well in - that's what's important. :smile:

I hope you get the GCSE results you deserve, and best of luck with your A Levels!

OK, thanks. I wish I knew that I would do well at it because I realise it would be beneficial. Thank you so much! :smile:
Reply 7
In all honesty, the subjects they state they want are the subjects that you need. If you can reflect on what you've learned from doing so in a meaningful way on your personal statement, that's what's going to make the difference, not which subject you do.*

For vet Med you need biology and chemistry. There may only be one course that asks for all three sciences. (I don't know I haven't looked) You can only apply to four anyway so no problem.*

For Veterinary Medicine you would need: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics with AS Psychology.

Your GCSE's should be all equal hence them being the 'general' certificates so to have found what you love to do before is much better for you.

To be a vet is to think of a purpose that you wish to help those that need help and who is a valued and loved member of a family or to bring a homeless or abused dog back to health and to a loving owner.
Original post by post-grad-u-ate
For Veterinary Medicine you would need: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics with AS Psychology.

Your GCSE's should be all equal hence them being the 'general' certificates so to have found what you love to do before is much better for you.

To be a vet is to think of a purpose that you wish to help those that need help and who is a valued and loved member of a family or to bring a homeless or abused dog back to health and to a loving owner.

This is not going to be true, as no uni expects 5 As's and is probably not even possible with A levels becoming linear.
Look at what Unis want for Vet medicine and any other options you have been considering, and then choose what you would enjoy most for your other subjects, as this will help you get the best grades.
Reply 10
Original post by giella
In all honesty, the subjects they state they want are the subjects that you need. If you can reflect on what you've learned from doing so in a meaningful way on your personal statement, that's what's going to make the difference, not which subject you do.*

For vet Med you need biology and chemistry. There may only be one course that asks for all three sciences. (I don't know I haven't looked) You can only apply to four anyway so no problem.*

Thank you so much for your advice!

Original post by post-grad-u-ate

I am not sure this is always true, but thanks anyway. You do need Biology and Chemistry but most universities seem to say that the third choice is up to you, as long as it is on the list of accepted subjects by the university. Thank you also for the rest of your advice - everyone's shared advice and experiences are all going to add up to help me make decisions in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest