The Student Room Group

What do you wish you did in the summer before year 11?

Hi all, I'm currently in the summer between year 10 and 11 and considering so many people have been here I thought it be good for those who have surpassed us to give some advice on the best things we could be doing now to succeed in school/GCSEs in year 11. Anything you wished you might have done to help yourself or just what anyone's doing now would be extremely helpful. Thanks!
Reply 1
Not stressed over my GCSEs at such an early stage. A bit of revision to stay on top of what you've learnt is enough for year 10-11. So many of my friends started to 'get serious' with revision before Year 11 started and gave up when it really mattered, so my main advice is to enjoy the summer and try not to worry too much. If you want to revise, I'd suggest reading guides and making notes. I don't think past papers will be necessary at this stage unless you're really struggling with a certain subject.
Reply 2
Original post by M451
Not stressed over my GCSEs at such an early stage. A bit of revision to stay on top of what you've learnt is enough for year 10-11. So many of my friends started to 'get serious' with revision before Year 11 started and gave up when it really mattered, so my main advice is to enjoy the summer and try not to worry too much. If you want to revise, I'd suggest reading guides and making notes. I don't think past papers will be necessary at this stage unless you're really struggling with a certain subject.

Thank you, that sounds like a good plan. Do you have any particular advice on how to get/remain motivated through year 11?
Reply 3
Original post by katie4610
Thank you, that sounds like a good plan. Do you have any particular advice on how to get/remain motivated through year 11?

Personally I think I managed myself the wrong way. I didn't (still don't) want to be disappointed and have my eyes firmly fixed on the results I want and the thought of not getting those made me work. I focused on my goals so much that achieving them became the only option to me. When you finish, you should have a hell of a lot of time to do whatever you want with so don't worry about being buried in work. You've got a lot ahead of you but you'll have time to wind down afterwards, and you don't want to be there at the end with the thought that you didn't do everything you possibly could.

In the grand scheme of things, GCSEs are quite easy. That might sound negative but I told myself that I should just power through them because things will get so much trickier later on and you'll regret not making the most of your chances now. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by M451
Personally I think I managed myself the wrong way. I didn't (still don't) want to be disappointed and have my eyes firmly fixed on the results I want and the thought of not getting those made me work. I focused on my goals so much that achieving them became the only option to me. When you finish, you should have a hell of a lot of time to do whatever you want with so don't worry about being buried in work. You've got a lot ahead of you but you'll have time to wind down afterwards, and you don't want to be there at the end with the thought that you didn't do everything you possibly could.

In the grand scheme of things, GCSEs are quite easy. That might sound negative but I told myself that I should just power through them because things will get so much trickier later on and you'll regret not making the most of your chances now. Good luck!

Thank you so much, that's such a great way to look at things! Best of luck to you also.
Reply 5
Original post by katie4610
Thank you so much, that's such a great way to look at things! Best of luck to you also.

You're welcome :biggrin:
Reply 6
Nothing.. Enjoy your holidays, September to may will be enough revision time, maybe even too much depending on where you are.. If you're getting Bs already you can probably start revising at January.. January to May is enough time to go through every single course, GCSEs don't have much content.. I've heard A-levels are the opposite

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest