The Student Room Group

Predict grade boundaries

Scroll to see replies

What does everyone think the boundary for an A in Edexcel maths will be considering last year was 125 for an A,2014 was 133 and 2013 was 131
?
Original post by Waveyalex
What does everyone think the boundary for an A in Edexcel maths will be considering last year was 125 for an A,2014 was 133 and 2013 was 131
?

I think the grade boundary for an A would be between 130-135 but some people are saying 140 but that seems to high considering that the first paper was quite difficult. What do you think?
Original post by miraclemuokebe
I think the grade boundary for an A would be between 130-135 but some people are saying 140 but that seems to high considering that the first paper was quite difficult. What do you think?

ppl saying 140 are just chatting rubbish because that would be the hghest ever grade for this spec this year had some odd questions especially the sine and cosine one also the inverse proportion used some weird sign instead of words so realistically 130 just fits perfectly in the pattern shown in the link

http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/papers/gradebound.pdf
ppl saying 140 are just chatting rubbish because that would be the hghest ever grade for this spec this year had some odd questions especially the sine and cosine one also the inverse proportion used some weird sign instead of words so realistically 130 just fits perfectly in the pattern shown in the link

I definitely agree
Original post by miraclemuokebe
I definitely agree

And plus if edexcel puts it over 130 there gonna be in for a huge uproar about ppl mssing grades out and most years the grade boundary changes by 1-3 marks although this year most likely by 5 marks cos of the drop last year
may the grade boundaries be in our favour.
I think the boundary for an A* would be 168, and the A boundary at 139
Reply 47

those questions were aimed for A* candidates though... everyone was meant to find them hard and A graders weren't suppose to get it right. That's how edexcel differentiate between A and A*. I predict 135 for A and 169 for A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ad4m
those questions were aimed for A* candidates though... everyone was meant to find them hard and A graders weren't suppose to get it right. That's how edexcel differentiate between A and A*. I predict 135 for A and 169 for A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

seems reasonable but just slightly too high especilly comparing it to previous years
Reply 49
seems reasonable but just slightly too high especilly comparing it to previous years

yeah. we never know. its never usually to do with the difficulty of the paper, but with the proportion of people getting a mark over a certain threshold. only 5% will be given A* and no more than 20% an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ad4m
yeah. we never know. its never usually to do with the difficulty of the paper, but with the proportion of people getting a mark over a certain threshold. only 5% will be given A* and no more than 20% an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is because they to ensure that had we taken the exam in a given year we should get the same grade as this year so its fair on us.
Reply 51
It is because they to ensure that had we taken the exam in a given year we should get the same grade as this year so its fair on us.

Exactly. There cannot be an uprising about grade boundary changes like a lot of people are using as their rationale for a low grade boundary. Edexcel can put the A* boundary to 180 if 5% of people achieved a mark above that and schools cannot fight back because it can be statistically proven that the same proportion achieved A* in 2016 as in 2015.
Wow, in June 2010 the boundary for an A* was 176; the paper wasn't even that easy - could they do that this year?
In comparison to the June 2014 paper, how easy/hard was the 2016 one in your opinions?

I assume the grade boundaries for the November series of exams are higher because fewer people get A*, right?
Original post by TheAnon121
Wow, in June 2010 the boundary for an A* was 176; the paper wasn't even that easy - could they do that this year?
In comparison to the June 2014 paper, how easy/hard was the 2016 one in your opinions?

I assume the grade boundaries for the November series of exams are higher because fewer people get A*, right?

I think that the 2014 paper was alright, it was a fair paper. This year I feel that parts of the non calculator paper were difficult but I found the calculator paper to be quite easy. I think that the grade boundary for an A should be between 130-135 and the boundary for an A* to be no more than 168. What do you think?
Reply 54
Original post by TheAnon121

June 2010 was a different spec to 2016 but it still could be possible. I'd say it was about the same maybe a bit easier on the calculator paper and there were less nasty questions. November series boundaries are irrelevant as they do not form the representative values needed to predict boundaries. A lot of people are saying they will change it due to it being the last year of the qualification, but they cannot change the statistics without trouble. Edexcel is a business remember, and if they start being harsher on grades schools will just go elsewhere. A* should realistically be between 165 and 170 :smile:
Original post by ad4m
June 2010 was a different spec to 2016 but it still could be possible. I'd say it was about the same maybe a bit easier on the calculator paper and there were less nasty questions. November series boundaries are irrelevant as they do not form the representative values needed to predict boundaries. A lot of people are saying they will change it due to it being the last year of the qualification, but they cannot change the statistics without trouble. Edexcel is a business remember, and if they start being harsher on grades schools will just go elsewhere. A* should realistically be between 165 and 170 :smile:

I get what ur saying but november 2015 was 135 for an A and I was kinda thinking it wouldnt make logical sense to repeat considering that exam was easier
Reply 56
I get what ur saying but november 2015 was 135 for an A and I was kinda thinking it wouldnt make logical sense to repeat considering that exam was easier

Nov boundaries are useless for predictions. They do not consider the difficulty of the paper, but have a specific result statistic they put the boundary at so that that statistic of people pass. They allow 0.6% an A*.
AQA Biology
B1- a* 44
B2- a* 46
B3- a* 48

November exams always have higher boundaries than June exams, they're pretty useless for predicting June boundaries. I think people are predicting way too high, I would probably say like 162-164 for an A*, maybe less.
Original post by _gcx
November exams always have higher boundaries than June exams, they're pretty useless for predicting June boundaries. I think people are predicting way too high, I would probably say like 162-164 for an A*, maybe less.

What do you reckon the grade boundary for an A will be ?

Quick Reply

Latest