The Student Room Group

Questions about the EPQ?

Thinking about doing the EPQ next year but I'm not sure whether I'd have the time? My options are biology chemistry English lit and psychology, would an EPQ be too much work on top? Also (if I were to do one) it'd probably either be a creative writing artefact or something to do with the Myers-Briggs type indicator (fascinates me), would that be plausible?
Our school hasn't really given us much information about it at all, and I know it's a very independent thing and it's preferable you don't drop out if you decide to take it.
So anybody's experiences who did it would be very much appreciated, whether it's actually much use (I'm planning to study medicine so I kind of want all I can get as long as it doesn't hinder my grades aha), how many hours on average you spent a week on it etc.
Thank you x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I did four subjects and the EPQ at AS (which I have just finished), so it's definitely doable if you are sort of organised. I really recommend it, as it is not only a good experience but also gives you something to say in your personal statement.

I think your possible questions are viable, as long as you remember to narrow it down enough to have a very precise question. Otherwise, it can be quite hard when you find yourself waffling through more content than you need.

There were long spaces where I completely neglected EPQ and there were spaces that I worked really hard on it. Basically, I put like a week and a half aside over Christmas to write the first (and second) drafts. I definitely recommend that!

Overall, it's really valuable.
Reply 2
Original post by ett11
I did four subjects and the EPQ at AS (which I have just finished), so it's definitely doable if you are sort of organised. I really recommend it, as it is not only a good experience but also gives you something to say in your personal statement.

I think your possible questions are viable, as long as you remember to narrow it down enough to have a very precise question. Otherwise, it can be quite hard when you find yourself waffling through more content than you need.

There were long spaces where I completely neglected EPQ and there were spaces that I worked really hard on it. Basically, I put like a week and a half aside over Christmas to write the first (and second) drafts. I definitely recommend that!

Overall, it's really valuable.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophxxs
Thinking about doing the EPQ next year but I'm not sure whether I'd have the time? My options are biology chemistry English lit and psychology, would an EPQ be too much work on top? Also (if I were to do one) it'd probably either be a creative writing artefact or something to do with the Myers-Briggs type indicator (fascinates me), would that be plausible?
Our school hasn't really given us much information about it at all, and I know it's a very independent thing and it's preferable you don't drop out if you decide to take it.
So anybody's experiences who did it would be very much appreciated, whether it's actually much use (I'm planning to study medicine so I kind of want all I can get as long as it doesn't hinder my grades aha), how many hours on average you spent a week on it etc.
Thank you x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did the EPQ at A2 with three subjects, but I also managed to fit in a part-time job, music and volunteering, so it's definitely doable and is a great subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi yeah I did an EPQ at A2 and I was in no way organised enough I was just worrying closer to date-but did still get an A*. I think it's doable particularly if you like the subject but be weary about submission dates like it might overlap with your English Lit coursework (that is if you continue it at A2), otherwise you'll be fine ☺️
I also am really fascinated by the myres briggs indicator and was thinking of researching for an EPQ. I decided against it as its alot of work and none of my uni choices care about EPQ. Good luck
I know you’ve probably long gone on this site, but I also am interested in MBTIs and I was wondering what you did your question on? (If you did)

Latest