The Student Room Group

2 months wage (full time). Will I be taxed?

Hi there!?
I'm working 2 months full time over summer, doing 35+ hours each week.
The first month I only did around 3 weeks work as I joined late so obviously I didn't get a full wage (£860-ish).
However this month I will have done a full month and also got commission which I am expecting to get around £1200/£1300 (inc.commsion). That will be my last wage as I go on holiday and back to uni again and working part time (6-12hours weekly).

Do you think I'll get taxed for this months wage? Baring in mind it's my first ever proper wage!!!

Scroll to see replies

My girlfriends brother did the same last year. He did 3 months work at full time hours and wasn't taxed at all. Not sure if things have changed but I don't think they have. Hope this helps.
Original post by Mattinfenwa
My girlfriends brother did the same last year. He did 3 months work at full time hours and wasn't taxed at all. Not sure if things have changed but I don't think they have. Hope this helps.

Okay brill lets hope that's the same for me then haha! Thanks mate
Original post by RichardR21
Hi there!?
I'm working 2 months full time over summer, doing 35+ hours each week.
The first month I only did around 3 weeks work as I joined late so obviously I didn't get a full wage (£860-ish).
However this month I will have done a full month and also got commission which I am expecting to get around £1200/£1300 (inc.commsion). That will be my last wage as I go on holiday and back to uni again and working part time (6-12hours weekly).

Do you think I'll get taxed for this months wage? Baring in mind it's my first ever proper wage!!!

Phone hmrc and ask which tax code they ve got you on, if it ends in OT you will otherwise you shouldn't earn enough over the limit.
You may find that they tax you then you have to claim it back,
Original post by claireestelle
Phone hmrc and ask which tax code they ve got you on, if it ends in OT you will otherwise you shouldn't earn enough over the limit.

Or just check their last payslip. Tax code should be on there.*
My tax code start in 1100L. Which I've heard I will be strong taxed on that! Although I've heard elsewhere I wouldn't as I haven't earned more than £10,000/£11,000 yet!
🤔😁😳

Thanks for all the replies guys! I appreciate it
My tax code start in 1100L. Which I've heard I will be strong taxed on that! Although I've heard elsewhere I wouldn't as I haven't earned more than £10,000/£11,000 yet!
🤔😁😳

Thanks for all the replies guys! I appreciate it

You shouldn't be taxed on that :smile:
You shouldn't be taxed on that :smile:

Are you 100% sure with that? Because I am hearing so many things ! I'll actually probably be actually earning this month around £1500 mark including commsion.
Are you 100% sure with that? Because I am hearing so many things ! I'll actually probably be actually earning this month around £1500 mark including commsion.

So to clarify until this 2 month summer you only worked part time? so if you earned less than £920 a month before the summer then if i m correct you have some allowance that you won't have used yet therefore you shouldn't get taxed.
So to clarify until this 2 month summer you only worked part time? so if you earned less than £920 a month before the summer then if i m correct you have some allowance that you won't have used yet therefore you shouldn't get taxed.

Correct; this is my first full time job ever haha! Before this I was working part time (£84 week).
This next months wage I am expecting around £1500 including commission, so you're saying I shouldn't be taxed ?
Correct; this is my first full time job ever haha! Before this I was working part time (£84 week).
This next months wage I am expecting around £1500 including commission, so you're saying I shouldn't be taxed ?

Yeah you shouldn't do, my fiancee hadn't worked for a couple of months of the tax year and so although his salary is over the 11k allowance as he got 2 months allowance built up, he's not been taxed yet if that makes sense?
Yeah you shouldn't do, my fiancee hadn't worked for a couple of months of the tax year and so although his salary is over the 11k allowance as he got 2 months allowance built up, he's not been taxed yet if that makes sense?

Yes that makes perfect sense, so I should be in the same boat then really.
Does it depend on what your tax code is?
The thing is I rang up hm revenue and explained all this to them and they said if you earn over £900 odd pounds you'll get taxed?!
But my dad said you need to earn over £11,000 before you start paying tax?

Soooooo confused
Yes that makes perfect sense, so I should be in the same boat then really.
Does it depend on what your tax code is?
The thing is I rang up hm revenue and explained all this to them and they said if you earn over £900 odd pounds you'll get taxed?!
But my dad said you need to earn over £11,000 before you start paying tax?

Soooooo confused

Oh its £920 allowance you get a month, that's where that came from. But since you only earned £340 each month for the rest of the year so far, that means you have an extra £2k or so allowance that you've yet to use. As you've the 1100L code, you shouldnt be taked till you hit that 11k average. Make sense? I m confident they shouldnt tax you but if they do call them up and you should get it back in your next pay check.
Oh its £920 allowance you get a month, that's where that came from. But since you only earned £340 each month for the rest of the year so far, that means you have an extra £2k or so allowance that you've yet to use. As you've the 1100L code, you shouldnt be taked till you hit that 11k average. Make sense? I m confident they shouldnt tax you but if they do call them up and you should get it back in your next pay check.

Yeah that's crystal clear! I understand that that makes perfect sense! Since the new tax year starts in April I should be no way paying tax then should I?! Fingers crossed then!
Worst case scenario I get it back next month 😐
Yeah that's crystal clear! I understand that that makes perfect sense! Since the new tax year starts in April I should be no way paying tax then should I?! Fingers crossed then!
Worst case scenario I get it back next month 😐

Exactly no way:smile: If it does happen just get on the phone to them straight away and it shouldnt be a problem :smile:
Will do!
Actually, I haven't handed in a p45 to my new employee from my old job. Apparently I will get taxed because of this?
I am getting the p45 today and giving in on Monday. Pay day is on the 6th(Friday) so hopefully it won't be too late if that's the case
Will do!
Actually, I haven't handed in a p45 to my new employee from my old job. Apparently I will get taxed because of this?
I am getting the p45 today and giving in on Monday. Pay day is on the 6th(Friday) so hopefully it won't be too late if that's the case

They could have filled in a starter checklist (used to be called a p46) instead of having to use your P45 :smile:
Reply 18
Um, if you are earning £1,500 in a month you will have to pay NI I think at 12% over the threshold.

Someone correct me if im wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I paid NI on my first wage which was around £880 and I paid around £20 in NiSomeone correct me if im wrong

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending