The Student Room Group

Will I get in trouble for not declaring a qualification

Basically I'm looking to apply to oxford, and I've got pretty good grades apart from one AS which I took a year early and didn't even continue for A2 where I got a C. Will I get in trouble if i don't declare it on UCAS as i feel it will harm my application, or is that a big no-no?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah you will and they'll have every right to reject your application
Original post by hongse123
Basically I'm looking to apply to oxford, and I've got pretty good grades apart from one AS which I took a year early and didn't even continue for A2 where I got a C. Will I get in trouble if i don't declare it on UCAS as i feel it will harm my application, or is that a big no-no?

Big no-no, you'd be breaking ucas's t&c's and a university could take your place off you if they wanted.

If you have certificated the qualification, you must declare it. If you didn't want to declare it, you shouldn't have cashed it in, sorry.
Reply 4
Your application would be deemed fraudulent - you are required to complete a declaration when you submit your application that you have included all relevant information. Universities will be able to find out (very easily) that you have omitted this detail, and the results will be far more damaging to your prospects than including it. In any case, your school/college will be checking your application and should ensure that you have included everything correctly - if however they advise you to leave it out (*sigh* - but it happens) point them towards the UCAS guidance here (point 6).
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
Big no-no, you'd be breaking ucas's t&c's and a university could take your place off you if they wanted.

Oh right :frown:( do you think its worth me applying to oxford if I got a C at an AS??
One of my cousins 5as's grades was a C (the rest were A's) i believe and she's just graduated from brasenose.
Oh right :frown:( do you think its worth me applying to oxford if I got a C at an AS??
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Minerva
Your application would be deemed fraudulent - you are required to complete a declaration when you submit your application that you have included all relevant information. Universities will be able to find out (very easily) that you have omitted this detail, and the results will be far more damaging to your prospects than including it. In any case, your school/college will be checking your application and should ensure that you have included everything correctly - if however they advise you to leave it out (*sigh* - but it happens) point them towards the UCAS guidance here (point 6).

Thanks, I'll definitely leave it in, don't want to take the risk
Reply 8
Original post by Platopus
If you have certificated the qualification, you must declare it. If you didn't want to declare it, you shouldn't have cashed it in, sorry.
There's no choice about that, except for the very few private schools that have a policy of not cashing in (aka certificating) AS levels. At any state school AS results are certificated as standard whether the candidate wants it or not.
Reply 9
One of my cousins 5as's grades was a C (the rest were A's) i believe and she's just graduated from brasenose.

At least thats encouraging, I might be in with a chance
Thanks, I'll definitely leave it in, don't want to take the risk
That C grade is very unlikely to cause any problems, especially as it will be clear from the dates that you did the exams early.
Original post by Minerva
There's no choice about that, except for the very few private schools that have a policy of not cashing in (aka certificating) AS levels. At any state school AS results are certificated as standard whether the candidate wants it or not.

That's what I had thought too. However, I think my friend somehow managed to avoid getting an AS certificated but perhaps there were exceptional circumstances.
At least thats encouraging, I might be in with a chance

You get 5 choices so I'd think it's worth a try :smile:
jake wright (former Cambridge student and youtube vlogger) if my memory serves me well didn't declare his critical thinking grade. however not sure if "cashed in"
Reply 14
You get 5 choices so I'd think it's worth a try :smile:

Thanks for the encouragement, i guess i can't hurt to apply :smile:
Original post by Platopus
That's what I had thought too. However, I think my friend somehow managed to avoid getting an AS certificated but perhaps there were exceptional circumstances.
Perhaps - it is certainly very unusual these days.

Original post by cheesedrew
jake wright (former Cambridge student and youtube vlogger) if my memory serves me well didn't declare his critical thinking grade. however not sure if "cashed in"
It has become much stricter in recent years - which is the problem, because we get loads of stories "Oh, I didn't declare this" but it turns out this was ten years ago. Now, the rules are tougher and there are better mechanisms for enforcing them (as in, the universities can see the data anyway!).
Original post by Rouge123
Thanks for the encouragement, i guess i can't hurt to apply :smile:

No problem, best of luck with your application :smile:
Reply 17
Could a C in AS Creative Writing taken a year early affect a medicine application?
Original post by okey
Could a C in AS Creative Writing taken a year early affect a medicine application?

No, probably not.

What's the C in? Is it in a subject related to what you're applying for?
Original post by Minerva
Now, the rules are tougher and there are better mechanisms for enforcing them (as in, the universities can see the data anyway!).

Having access to such information, one wonders why the universities even bother asking candidates for their grades.

Quick Reply

Latest