The Student Room Group

Is £10,000 enough for rent and living costs in London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by niteninja1
Grant? You have applied for the 2016//17 finance and not last years as this year there are no grants so unless you are going on to year2 you shouldn't get the grant

Unless they make the rest up with a loan in England. *
Original post by tut123
Unless they make the rest up with a loan in England. *

Yeah it's all a loan
Reply 22
No they £950 is how much short I am for my 81£ a week left over however my final payment is so much bigger I get the money back

image.png

They must give people more of a loan in england. *In NI people get a loan but if earning under £19,000 or so a year they can get all get a *grant. *Don't know what people do if they earn over that, it maybe should be the same but it's not. *Probably means I won't have to pay back as much when it comes to it.
Original post by tut123
They must give people more of a loan in england. *In NI people get a loan but if earning under £19,000 or so a year they can get all get a *grant. *Don't know what people do if they earn over that, it maybe should be the same but it's not. *Probably means I won't have to pay back as much when it comes to it.

Because my stepfather is at uni and all of our money is tied up in houses we have about £10k a year plus benefits.

So I qualify for the full amounts and will be 19702£ a year in debt.

In England they made it all loans no grants
Reply 24
Because my stepfather is at uni and all of our money is tied up in houses we have about £10k a year plus benefits.

So I qualify for the full amounts and will be 19702£ a year in debt.

In England they made it all loans no grants

Oh right, for a moment I was worried because the loan amount here is smaller so, that would not have been good but we do get the grant here so hopefully it should be fine. *You have shown me it is possible.*
Original post by tut123
Oh right, for a moment I was worried because the loan amount here is smaller so, that would not have been good but we do get the grant here so hopefully it should be fine. *You have shown me it is possible.*

Glad to hear it

Gotta go to work so can't reply back at 10
Reply 26
Glad to hear it

Gotta go to work so can't reply back at 10

oh rite, thanks. *Good luck *
No. It's doable mathematically but it's not practical. For instance you could just spend £500 a year on food or £1,500 a year on decent food and not stunt your growth.
I managed it. But I lived in halls and uni was within walking distance.
Reply 29
Of course. no different from saying 'I'm taking x amount of money on holiday will i be able to find a hotel?' - the answer is yes, just find the cheapest hotel

firstly the university you are studying in - why not apply to living in halls?

there are alternatives to halls too, you will find a lot of students house-sharing and all chipping in on the rent and bills. ask around and see whats available. most of the time they are always looking for an extra lodger

alternatively if you'd rather live alone then find the cheapest place thats on rent possible, you may have to travel to some crappy part of London but they're really not as bad as some people make out. i've lived in brixton, people said it was a dangerous place. it really wasn't, found it very vibrant and loved the fact i was so close to the tube station.
Original post by tut123
I am nearly 28

I could be going to university in London but im unsure due to how expensive it can be there.

I will be getting £10000 for the whole year and that has to cover rent, living costs and travel.

Any body else moved there and live on that amount?*

East london has cheap flatshares. I'm sharing a large room with two beds with my friend (we both are happy with it and the housemates are nice) and we split the cost so it's 300 pm per person, but you can find single rooms for around the same price in East London. 300x12= 3600 pounds a year for living. Not sure about the other things ^^ food, etc. Too lazy to calculate, as food and travel can vary a lot.If you mean just travelling in London, Zone 2-3 travel card is 65 pounds a month for students. If you mean travelling to other countries/cities, then I don't know. Good luck :smile: I think 10000 is possible though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Finances are a cost to students who are either from a low income background or do not receive funding from their estranged middle class parents. Both are problematic for students and is not embarrassing to admit. I didn't consider this at first because when you are studying full time the immediate assumption is to enjoy yourself with downtime and focus on your education.

However, you may want to consider working just 4hours a week at a bar or within the university itself. The minimum wage for your city that you are studying at should be enough to cover food for the week by working for those four hours. You also gain experience and respect.

edit -> I'll just say it: if you are struggling financially this will impact your grades which results in impeding the whole point of getting a degree in the first place.
(edited 7 years ago)
As I showed it is easily do able

Quick Reply