The Student Room Group

Personal Statement (Medicine)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If you're struggling with an intro as such then try starting with the second paragraph?
You don't really even need an "introduction" as such given you have so few characters to work with. Try your best to keep waffle to an absolute minimum.
Also bear in mind that the final draft of your personal statement is unlikely to resemble the first so don't worry about getting it right first time - it's a very gradual process for most.
Reply 21
Original post by Optimistsan98
GCSE: I got 4A* 5As and 1C(in art looool!)
AS level: AABB
A level... I think I will get AAA/A*AA
Ukcat last year I got 635

In my gap year, I have got a job as an healthcare assistant in a hospital. I think after attending the interview, and seeing the atmosphere in the hospital, it has only motivated me so much more to be a doctor. I think working with these doctors on a daily basis as part of a team, will only make me more enthusiastic to start medicine next year!

Thats not bad at all!
I think that may seriously be an option for me just until I get myself together and know exactly what grades I'm working with

Thanks so much youve been amazing and I wish you every success in your journey
Reply 22
Original post by JC25
If you're struggling with an intro as such then try starting with the second paragraph?
You don't really even need an "introduction" as such given you have so few characters to work with. Try your best to keep waffle to an absolute minimum.
Also bear in mind that the final draft of your personal statement is unlikely to resemble the first so don't worry about getting it right first time - it's a very gradual process for most.

Youre absolutely right
Thank you for the advice
Original post by Haaa101
Thats not bad at all!
I think that may seriously be an option for me just until I get myself together and know exactly what grades I'm working with

Thanks so much youve been amazing and I wish you every success in your journey

Aww thanks so much. I feel bad on TSR no jokes... People on here are sooooo good!

Just think about what's right for you! And most of all BEILEVE in yourself.

Good luck to you as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
You should explain why you want to do medicine (and make it specific, so nothing that can be applied to nursing, for example). It's probably easier to write the rest of your PS and come back to your intro
don't think about your opening line. In fact write all of your personal statement apart from the beginning and end parts, then once you have finished go back to those with a fresh pair of eyes. To help you with the opening lines, just roughly write down all of the reasons why you want to do medicine, was it something you saw when you were young? was it a particular scientific article you read that made you want to do research but you also love talking to people? was it a particular person you came across whilst volunteering? anything which stands out in your memory that led you to want to become a doctor. I would say anything can be written so that it stands out and seems unique. It's not WHAT you experience (i.e it doesn't have to be a ground breaking reason, e.g death in the family or you had cancer) but HOW you write it and express it that matters.
Reply 26
Might not be a massive help but when I got into nursing I opened up with my admiration for nurses and what the stand for and do etc. So maybe something along them lines? Not quite the same as "I've always wanted to be a doctor" but more your admiration and reasoning behind it....without making it too obvious

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
As I remember you don't actually need to have an "introduction" with all of the stereotypes we normally use to introduce our topic!
Just spend a few lines.

At least that's what they told me in the Prep Centre I went and actually helped me a lot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending