The Student Room Group

attractions you recommend in barcelona?

finally fly in just over a weeks time, we have a list of a few things we plan on doing ie zoo, aquarium, beach, waterpark etc but what else does people recommend?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The Nou Camp (football stadium) is really nice

La Boqueria is a massive market too. Good for cheap fruits if you are on a budget
Reply 2
Original post by UWS
The Nou Camp (football stadium) is really nice

La Boqueria is a massive market too. Good for cheap fruits if you are on a budget

is it just a fruit market?
Original post by shawtyb
finally fly in just over a weeks time, we have a list of a few things we plan on doing ie zoo, aquarium, beach, waterpark etc but what else does people recommend?

Omg I was in Barcelona last week! :biggrin:

I would highly recommend looking inside the Sagrada Familia church. Despite the fact it's unfinished, the interior is truly stunning and you won't see anything else like it.

There's also a fun waterpark a little way out of the city (Illa Fantasia Waterpark)

Check out all the shopping streets like La Rambla as well as the Port Olimpic/ Port Vell

There's also a little place called Poble Espanyol which is like a little microcosmic village full of cafes and bars etc, with each part representing a district of Spain

And of course the beach!
Moved to Travel! Have a fantastic holiday!

(Sent from Gatwick airport :wink:)
Reply 5
Original post by shawtyb
is it just a fruit market?

It's an everything market. Meat, sweets, seafood, fruit, vegetables, etc..
Reply 6
Original post by connieiscrazy
Omg I was in Barcelona last week! :biggrin:

I would highly recommend looking inside the Sagrada Familia church. Despite the fact it's unfinished, the interior is truly stunning and you won't see anything else like it.

There's also a fun waterpark a little way out of the city (Illa Fantasia Waterpark)

Check out all the shopping streets like La Rambla as well as the Port Olimpic/ Port Vell

There's also a little place called Poble Espanyol which is like a little microcosmic village full of cafes and bars etc, with each part representing a district of Spain

And of course the beach!

wheres the church?
were going to marineland catalunya (bit further up)
are the shopping streets good?
i think i saw that on the internet today, is it close to the centre? (the mini village)
and obviously! :wink:

Original post by UWS
It's an everything market. Meat, sweets, seafood, fruit, vegetables, etc..

do they sell souviners etc?
Reply 7
Original post by shawtyb

do they sell souviners etc?

I don't remember but I think they do, they have the stalls at the sides. It would still be good to check it out
Reply 8
Original post by UWS
I don't remember but I think they do, they have the stalls at the sides. It would still be good to check it out

ok great thankyou :smile:
do you remember if there are any supermarkets locally to city centre?
id assume there would be but iv not been there so...
Reply 9
Original post by shawtyb
ok great thankyou :smile:
do you remember if there are any supermarkets locally to city centre?
id assume there would be but iv not been there so...

If I remember, there are several. One in particular called Carrefour, a big French supermarket chain and I believe there is one near the market i mentioned. You can find pretty much everything there, it's like the French Tesco.
Reply 10
Original post by UWS
If I remember, there are several. One in particular called Carrefour, a big French supermarket chain and I believe there is one near the market i mentioned. You can find pretty much everything there, it's like the French Tesco.

ok cool thats great!
i did look online and stumbled across carrefour on google maps although as its not in english (obviously), i wasnt able to figure out what exactly is specialsies in.

it surprises me how many japanese supermarkets there are lol
Reply 11
Original post by shawtyb
ok cool thats great!
i did look online and stumbled across carrefour on google maps although as its not in english (obviously), i wasnt able to figure out what exactly is specialsies in.

it surprises me how many japanese supermarkets there are lol

You'll find out when you get there but it's just your standard groceries supermarket. Definitely recommend shopping there if you're not looking to eat out every night

I would recommend going to eat at one of the paella places along the beach, it's delicious and you get a really beautiful view of the sea in the evening.

The subway is also a good place to get from one part of the city to the other. Open top bus tours are also really nice
Reply 12
Original post by UWS
You'll find out when you get there but it's just your standard groceries supermarket. Definitely recommend shopping there if you're not looking to eat out every night

I would recommend going to eat at one of the paella places along the beach, it's delicious and you get a really beautiful view of the sea in the evening.

The subway is also a good place to get from one part of the city to the other. Open top bus tours are also really nice

ok great thanks!
were only gonna have one meal out in the evening and the rest of the time itl be sort of carrefour shopping.
is paella a fish dish? :/
Reply 13
Original post by shawtyb
ok great thanks!
were only gonna have one meal out in the evening and the rest of the time itl be sort of carrefour shopping.
is paella a fish dish? :/

It's seafood and a type of rice
Reply 14
Original post by UWS
It's seafood and a type of rice

ew maybe not then lol
Original post by shawtyb

Although I have not been in Barcelona yet, you should take a closer look at the Barcelona Park guell. The architecture looks so fascinating and aesthetic. Convince yourself! *

picture
Reply 16
Original post by Kallisto
Although I have not been in Barcelona yet, you should take a closer look at the Barcelona Park guell. The architecture looks so fascinating and aesthetic. Convince yourself! *

picture

yea we plan on going here. it reminds me of a gingerbread house lol
There's a cable car over the sea and a funicular railway plus cable car up to Montjuic Castle. You can have paella with other meat and just vegetables if you prefer. The Gothic Quarter is where all the best little shops are.
Reply 18
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
There's a cable car over the sea and a funicular railway plus cable car up to Montjuic Castle. You can have paella with other meat and just vegetables if you prefer. The Gothic Quarter is where all the best little shops are.

just looked at the castle, looks like it has epic views!
were next to the gothic quarter so will defo have a browse.
are many shops open usually as i heard alot of them shut up for summer :/
Original post by shawtyb
just looked at the castle, looks like it has epic views!
were next to the gothic quarter so will defo have a browse.
are many shops open usually as i heard alot of them shut up for summer :/

Couldn't say for sure as I tend to go out of season (my son lives there) but they do have very long lunch breaks when it looks like nothing is ever going to open again. If jewellery is your thing, this
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187497-d2076559-Reviews-La_Basilica_Galeria-Barcelona_Catalonia.html
is the most astonishing shop I have ever been in (and I've been in quite a few....)

Quick Reply