The Student Room Group

Would only laying out the laws in an essay question gain you around 50 marks?

I fear not being able to apply it to the essay question
in equity and eu law
Hey, what do you mean 50 marks? In total of the exam paper?

If you just lay out the law in each question it would barely get you the marks. My lecturers have stressed about this a lot and have said, people who do this get a 3rd or less (if they do it well maybe a 2.2- that's being lucky though) Whether it's an essay or problem question you have to apply it to the question- to get max marks.

Are you sitting these exams in the supplementary period? I am!
I mean 50% overall because there are too many cases to remember :frown:
I was thinking of laying down the laws, then attempting to apply them to the question. I want to get 50% at least - not high marks as I don't wanna stress myself too much.

and yeah, for medical reasons :frown: I'll be graduating in January for it
Original post by Ketchuplover
I mean 50% overall because there are too many cases to remember :frown:
I was thinking of laying down the laws, then attempting to apply them to the question. I want to get 50% at least - not high marks as I don't wanna stress myself too much.

and yeah, for medical reasons :frown: I'll be graduating in January for it

Okay I understand. I deferred my exams to now for personal reasons too. I'm also doing Equity and EU law.

And I agree there are too many cases but I've figured out the exam paper structure and worked out a strategy that will help me cut the content down and still do ok. It's hard to explain via text! I don't wanna end up writing an essay lol.

But what if suggest is, learn relevant cases, ones that actually have significance and tell you something about that area of law. Don't learn the ******** cases that reaffirm what another case has said.

Also, when applying, you will get low marks if you don't do application properly for problem questions. For EU law, free movement of goods, I have a structure for it, and also for direct effect.

For equity, people fail to pick out other relevant topics in the scenario, in our feedback, our lecturer has mentioned this. For example, a scenario on three certainties may also require you to apply the beneficiary principle. People fail to do this and lose marks.

Another thing I've learnt is that, essays are probably better to do then PQ. But if you learn to do them properly then you should be ok. Like my friend learnt how to do it properly and got a 1st in land law.
Original post by AthiaKarim
Okay I understand. I deferred my exams to now for personal reasons too. I'm also doing Equity and EU law.

And I agree there are too many cases but I've figured out the exam paper structure and worked out a strategy that will help me cut the content down and still do ok. It's hard to explain via text! I don't wanna end up writing an essay lol.

But what if suggest is, learn relevant cases, ones that actually have significance and tell you something about that area of law. Don't learn the ******** cases that reaffirm what another case has said.

Also, when applying, you will get low marks if you don't do application properly for problem questions. For EU law, free movement of goods, I have a structure for it, and also for direct effect.

For equity, people fail to pick out other relevant topics in the scenario, in our feedback, our lecturer has mentioned this. For example, a scenario on three certainties may also require you to apply the beneficiary principle. People fail to do this and lose marks.

Another thing I've learnt is that, essays are probably better to do then PQ. But if you learn to do them properly then you should be ok. Like my friend learnt how to do it properly and got a 1st in land law.

Thanks for the lengthy advice. I will take these into account. Also, I have just found out that all the past papers have an essay question about Cyanamid principles. There's one for you! (if you have 5 questions - one about each topic like ours) :biggrin:
Original post by Ketchuplover
Thanks for the lengthy advice. I will take these into account. Also, I have just found out that all the past papers have an essay question about Cyanamid principles. There's one for you! (if you have 5 questions - one about each topic like ours) :biggrin:

Haha you're welcome, I got a bit carried away! Omg 5 questions? What for? Eu or equity? We have 7/8 but only answer 3 for equity and 2 for eu (as we have an essay for that also)

Good luck with it all! And feel free to message me whilst revising about anything! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending