The Student Room Group

Are you socially awkward?

Scroll to see replies

Nah I'm fine, bit eccentric though.

Though I suppose making people feel awkward...suggests you're the awkward one? Because I like to hug goodbye (I had almost exclusively female close friends when I was younger who did this, so it's habit) and some guys find that incredibly awkward.....or are they are awkward ones?
I used to be that way, only because I have a high frequency hearing impairment. So my brain is wired differently than people that are born with a normal sense of hearing. Hearing aids do help, but I feel that they generally take on ambient noises at the same volume as someone talking to you, so it can be annoying.

Spoiler

Original post by 1secondsofvamps
So today whilst I was doing my volunteering work this guy (probs 19/20) randomly came up to me and started a conversation. Half way through our conversation he said "my name is ... by the way" and I said "okay" :facepalm:
That was literally my cue for me to say my name but I said "okay"
I literally hate myself for being so socially awkward.

Have anyone of you been in a situation like that before/are any of you socially awkward too?

When I was in year 12 I was sitting on the benches in my schools playground, a girl came up and started a conversion. She asks me how am I and I reply good...
she than said oh I have to go it was nice talking to you. I remember how stupid I was, I was suppose to reply with Im good wbu. Than rumors spread around that I'm jerk -__-
So today whilst I was doing my volunteering work this guy (probs 19/20) randomly came up to me and started a conversation. Half way through our conversation he said "my name is ... by the way" and I said "okay" :facepalm:

Have anyone of you been in a situation like that before/are any of you socially awkward too?

That's not awkward at all! I would think that's normal.

I have Asperger's, you should see the things I do. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SuperHuman98

OMG.I did this.
Annoyingly, I have quite a few mental health issues which mean I am extremely socially awkward (I didn't know how to actually hold a conversation until recently, and still am not very good at it now) and I struggle to feel pain for some reason.
Original post by Raizelcadres
When I was in year 12 I was sitting on the benches in my schools playground, a girl came up and started a conversion. She asks me how am I and I reply good...
she than said oh I have to go it was nice talking to you. I remember how stupid I was, I was suppose to reply with Im good wbu. Than rumors spread around that I'm jerk -__-

Oh wow that's not nice. Luckily he was nice enough and carried on speaking to me (for like an hour)
Yes! I'm socially awkward too. But now, I try my best to start conversations with strangers.

Yeah, I've definitely been in situations like that for sure. But I don't think that makes you socially awkward. There's different aspects of being socially awkward I think.

You probably just felt awkward in that particular situation, had it have been something else... Maybe you wouldn't have been?
socially akward talking to teachers in groups but not on my own :confused:
socially akward when I'm with a group of friends I know but not that well at all
socially awkward meeting new people
socially awkward when i buy stuff but not when ordering
socially awkward at all parties, esp when there is food :colonhash:

Spoiler

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Yeah because I don't go out enough
It's just like anything else, practice makes perfect..

Indeed man
One time my family ordered a Deliveroo and I went downstairs to collect the food from the deliverer. She handed me the food, said "have a nice meal" and I replied "you too".

:colondollar:
Original post by >Username<
Yeah, I've definitely been in situations like that for sure. But I don't think that makes you socially awkward. There's different aspects of being socially awkward I think.

You probably just felt awkward in that particular situation, had it have been something else... Maybe you wouldn't have been?

Idk I feel like I'm awkward all the time. Whenever my "boss" (at the place I volunteer) speaks to me Im just like "yeah, okay, it's fine" it's like I can never think of anything else to say
Original post by SuperHuman98

I did the Hi-Five...
Original post by Marshall Taylor
I did the Hi-Five...

For me its when someone goes for a handshake while you go for a fistbump xD
Reply 35
Side stepping into a strangers path. :s-smilie: (end up looking like a dance move 'slide to the left, slide to the right!')
yep.
Have issues eating in front of people, talking in front of people (not helped by the fact it is hard to speak clearly and people always go 'what? ;-;' ) walking in front of people (kind of want to hug myself tighter because im ashamed of my appearance)
so yeh pretty awkward :redface:
am trying to get better though but it is hard tbh
I used to be really bad, but I've learnt to deal with it over time (kinda had to), so I don't show it anymore. I can fake confidence and enthusiasm, and look all happy. But inside I die a bit everytime I have to speak to a stranger or in a group. :redface: I prefer one on one conversations so much better.
Awkward office moments during my internship last year:

1- I was working in an office last summer, and the lady seated next to me was American. I asked her which state she was from, and she replied 'Washington'. I went onto to say 'that's where the white house is' lol (like she didn't already know?)
Her response: 'yeah :biggrin:'.
I Didn't know how to respond
I proceeded to ask whether we could have a 'meeting' to discuss what she knows about the American education system, which I was doing my coursework on, the following term.
Her response:
'ummm surreee, we could talk about it now if you want to'
:colonhash:
: 'what would you like to know about'
Annoying as I was, I engaged in an acutual convo-
I didn't pick up on the cue she was giving me to end the convo

Her response: 'sorry just have to pop to the toilet'
She gets up, and she has a baby bump- SHE'S FREAKING PREGNANT

2- Day after Eid:

A colleague of mine asked me how my Eid celebrations went down

Me- 'It was good, oh btw EID MUBARAK TOO!! :smile:'
Him- uhaha, thanks but I'm not Muslim' :colonhash:
Me- :redface:

Moral of the story: just because someone is Asian and has an Arabic- don't assume they're Muslim.

3- Leaving the office

Me to the person opposite the office: ' I'm leaving now, have a good evening'
Person: 'You too!!'

Walking towards the door
Me- sees others still in the office
Says bye to them
Can't disregard the others in the corners so I say bye to them all

This was perhaps the most awkward experience of my life by far
I am very social awkward indeed. I am pretty sure that some people meet me at first and think I have social anxiety.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending