The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Altun63
I signed up to that recent UCAS clearing which was emailed to me but I'll have to cancel insurance before I'm eligible to use it.

Do you think there's a possibility they may refuse to scrap my application for the purpose of shortages on students? As silly as it may sound aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a possibility they could refuse to release you to clearing - or just not prioritise it and take 2+ weeks to get it sorted (so after the bulk of clearing places are gone). Even universities that prioritise it take on average 48 hours to sort it out - that's 2 days into clearing before you can officially contact any other universities.

If you know NOW that you would rather go into Clearing than go to your insurance then do EVERYONE a favour and ring them NOW to tell them that. Ask if they need confirmation in writing.

It is MUCH better to go into results day with no insurance than with one you don't want to go to...sorting this stuff out on results day (when you should be on the phone to clearing universities) is deliberately adding extra stress to an already stressful situation.
Original post by Aph
Yeah, it seems more spiteful than anything else. Unless they can make you still pay the £9k a year dispite not going?

They can't force you to attend - but they're under no obligation to put extra effort in to make life easy for an applicant that doesn't want to attend. They can hold your application and prevent you entering Clearing in this application cycle and force a gap year. Or just take their time so that by the time they get round to putting you into clearing the vast majority of places are gone - even a days delay can make a big difference about what's on offer (often universities offering accommodation to clearing applicants will give out most hall places in day 1).
Reply 1662
Original post by PQ
They can't force you to attend - but they're under no obligation to put extra effort in to make life easy for an applicant that doesn't want to attend. They can hold your application and prevent you entering Clearing in this application cycle and force a gap year. Or just take their time so that by the time they get round to putting you into clearing the vast majority of places are gone - even a days delay can make a big difference about what's on offer (often universities offering accommodation to clearing applicants will give out most hall places in day 1).

So unis can be as spiteful as they like? That seems very unplesent and surely can't help their reputation?
Original post by Aph
So unis can be as spiteful as they like? That seems very unplesent and surely can't help their reputation?

It's no more spiteful than accepting an offer as insurance with no intention to take up a place. Especially if you don't inform a university until after results that you won't be going. At that point they've already rejected some firm students (because they're obligated to take you) and might not have placed the course into clearing to fill your place up with other applicants.

Don't forget your insurance universities get your results too. And can see both your firm offer conditions and whether your firm have rejected you as soon as the decision goes to UCAS. They might have technically been your firm choice from the Monday before results and made decisions on other applicants with your place already taken.
Reply 1664
Original post by PQ
It's no more spiteful than accepting an offer as insurance with no intention to take up a place. Especially if you don't inform a university until after results that you won't be going. At that point they've already rejected some firm students (because they're obligated to take you) and might not have placed the course into clearing to fill your place up with other applicants.

Don't forget your insurance universities get your results too. And can see both your firm offer conditions and whether your firm have rejected you as soon as the decision goes to UCAS. They might have technically been your firm choice from the Monday before results and made decisions on other applicants with your place already taken.

I get what you are saying, although most people would accept it and change their mind later I suppose...

So if you decide to reject your insurance you should do it before results? Not that I plan on doing that either!!!
Original post by Aph
I get what you are saying, although most people would accept it and change their mind later I suppose...

So if you decide to reject your insurance you should do it before results? Not that I plan on doing that either!!!

The sooner the better.

The earlier you let universities know if you've changed your mind then the more time they have to sort things out for you. On results day someone who has changed their mind is bottom of a very long priority list.
Original post by PQ
The sooner the better.

The earlier you let universities know if you've changed your mind then the more time they have to sort things out for you. On results day someone who has changed their mind is bottom of a very long priority list.

Hey! Apologies for intruding on your conversation however, I have a question. If I get rejected by newcastle for medicine, is it possible to get into St. George's through clearing? (As they have medicine in clearing) OR are you only allowed to try and enter 1 medical school per annual intake? For example, if I get A*AB (Chem, geography and biology) and Newcastle reject me, is there a possibility St. George's can still accept me? Is it purely the universities choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sacred Ground
Hey! Apologies for intruding on your conversation however, I have a question. If I get rejected by newcastle for medicine, is it possible to get into St. George's through clearing? (As they have medicine in clearing) OR are you only allowed to try and enter 1 medical school per annual intake? For example, if I get A*AB (Chem, geography and biology) and Newcastle reject me, is there a possibility St. George's can still accept me? Is it purely the universities choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
since when was medicine in clearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maggie43
since when was medicine in clearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Since PQ informed me that medicine applications dropped 15% this year and St. George's is in clearing haha
Since PQ informed me that medicine applications dropped 15% this year and St. George's is in clearing haha

I'm guessing the whole pay and contract issue has started to make people think twice about medicine careers
Reply 1670
Medicine I'm clearing?! Next it will be Oxbridge!!!
imppoosssiibruuuiu!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I noticed when looking through clearing that York was in clearing for History but when I looked on their website it wasnt on their clearing list. Do you think its likely it was just put in clearing by accident?

You sure it's St George's in Tooting and not the St George's in the Carribean? :tongue: Because the latter is usually in Clearing (I've not looked at the lists however so done know).*
Original post by usycool1
You sure it's St George's in Tooting and not the St George's in the Carribean? :tongue: Because the latter is usually in Clearing (I've not looked at the lists however so done know).*

I'm not sure mate, I just seen PQ say that medicine was in clearing at St. George's
I'm not sure mate, I just seen PQ say that medicine was in clearing at St. George's

fair enough but I'll keep my fingers crossed that you don't need it either way :smile:

It must be the one that's in the Caribbean

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by usycool1
fair enough but I'll keep my fingers crossed that you don't need it either way :smile:

Cheers mate! <3
Original post by maggie43
It must be the one that's in the Caribbean

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Caribbean sounds nice haha, albeit not economically viable
Its definitely not the one in the Caribbean - http://www.sgul.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/clearing

Quick Reply

Latest