The Student Room Group

How many languages can you speak?

How many languages can you speak fluently? What languages would you like to learn?
I personally can speak Kurdish-native-, English, Arabic, Turkish and Persian. Next language on my list is German.

Scroll to see replies

I'm only an english speaker right now but I really want to learn spanish in the next 5 years. I'm thinking about moving to a spanish speaking country for a year or two
Original post by PartyKing
I'm only an english speaker right now but I really want to learn spanish in the next 5 years. I'm thinking about moving to a spanish speaking country for a year or two

Great to hear that . Based on what I have heard from friends, Spanish basic level can be learnt in quite relatively short time. As long as you have the intention and conviction, you will learn.
Reply 3
Apart from English:
German, French, Punjabi/Urdu/Hindi fairly fluently although I want to brush up my French speaking skills. It's been 2 years now and I've forgotten so much. My teacher would not be pleased
Original post by umar39
Apart from English:
German, French, Punjabi/Urdu/Hindi fairly fluently although I want to brush up my French speaking skills. It's been 2 years now and I've forgotten so much. My teacher would not be pleased

Great languages Umar.
Four but three poorly. I could learn four languages within two years by travelling to four different countries and living there temporarily whilst working at a tourist destination.

English, Spanish, German, Portuguese and hand language.
Reply 6

English is my native language and I'm fluent in sarcasm :tongue:

But seriously I would like to learn Spanish, we just came back from holiday there and they are really nice people, I would like to talk to them more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by umar39
Apart from English:

What's the difference between Urdu, Hindi and Punjabi?? If you know one can you understand the other two?
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
What's the difference between Urdu, Hindi and Punjabi?? If you know one can you understand the other two?

They are simply different languages people use to communicate with one another. The culture and heritage of any ethnicity is interesting no matter what language you learn. All that matters at the end of the day is that you share what experiences you have had in life and help others have a good time on that journey. If you part ways from friends and family etc then that is life.
Original post by oversizedcarrot
Four but three poorly. I could learn four languages within two years by travelling to four different countries and living there temporarily whilst working at a tourist destination.

English, Spanish, German, Portuguese and hand language.

It is never late to strengthen the other three. You know it is only difficult to get the basics and the rest is just practice.
Original post by Pix2015

English is my native language and I'm fluent in sarcasm :tongue:

But seriously I would like to learn Spanish, we just came back from holiday there and they are really nice people, I would like to talk to them more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spanish is a great choice. Fastest growing language in the world it is.
English and Spanish to an intermediate level
Original post by DNA89
How many languages can you speak fluently? What languages would you like to learn?
I personally can speak Kurdish-native-, English, Arabic, Turkish and Persian. Next language on my list is German.

oh im so jealous, learned french in school for 7 years and still cant put together a sentence:frown: guess im not made for languages:'(
Original post by DNA89
Spanish is a great choice. Fastest growing language in the world it is.

Oh I didn't know that.
I did hear that French and Spanish are the best languages to learn though, because they are mostly spoken.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh

As they all originate from the Hindustan area (Pakistan and India) the languages are spoken and translated in a similar way. (almost as if they are interchangeable). I think that all three are written differently..
Reply 15
English, Bollox and luuuuuuurve :smile:

The serious answer is that I can get by as a tourist in French and Spanish but would not claim to be anywhere near fluent in either
Original post by Justmoll28
oh im so jealous, learned french in school for 7 years and still cant put together a sentence:frown: guess im not made for languages:'(

With languages, the key is practice. I studied Arabic for 8 years in school didn't learn to put a sentence together, but then started reading in Arabic and speaking in Arabic and now I am fluent. I studied Turkish for six months but then has been practicing it for 10 years.

And the beautiful thing with learning languages is it is never too late to start. I thought I had grown too old to learn a new language -27 YO- but last year I learnt Malay basic level just through interaction with grocery stores.

Start practicing your French :smile:
Original post by DNA89
With languages, the key is practice. I studied Arabic for 8 years in school didn't learn to put a sentence together, but then started reading in Arabic and speaking in Arabic and now I am fluent. I studied Turkish for six months but then has been practicing it for 10 years.

And the beautiful thing with learning languages is it is never too late to start. I thought I had grown too old to learn a new language -27 YO- but last year I learnt Malay basic level just through interaction with grocery stores.

Start practicing your French :smile:

i think it was the way it was taught in school that did my head in, i would get told off for not knowing different tenses and grammar and things and i felt too stupid to put my hand up and say i didnt understand, i love french culture, i watch french films and listen to music and ive even been there but i still just cant get it to stick in my head haha, i might give it another go though:')
I speak fluently French, English, Arabic, I understand German to some extent, I've started to learn Czech (have given up on it for now to focus on my exams) next on the list is Italian :woo:
I love languages a lot a lot :love:
Original post by Justmoll28
i think it was the way it was taught in school that did my head in, i would get told off for not knowing different tenses and grammar and things and i felt too stupid to put my hand up and say i didnt understand, i love french culture, i watch french films and listen to music and ive even been there but i still just cant get it to stick in my head haha, i might give it another go though:':wink:

You should give it another go indeed. The thing with practice is I studied French for several months and I learnt the grammatical things you are talking about but then due to lack of practice, only few words in English , which I think are enough: I and Love and You (J'taime)

Quick Reply

Latest