The Student Room Group

Do you hear gunshots at night?

i've been kept awake tonight by gunshots, it's really starting to piss me off. These people have no regard for the rest of us trying to get a good night's sleep. Sounds like a shotgun rather than a rifle - it has that deeper "hollower" sound without the sound barrier crack of a heavy bullet as you'd hear from a rifle, if that makes any sense.

I live out in the countryside, so it's probably some farmer who's had a few too many brandies and decided to go after the rabbits now that they're out and about during the night. Or maybe some idiot youths lamping.

Do you ever get pissed off by gunfire at night or when you're trying to concentrate revising or such like? Have you ever reported it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hear - rarely, once I've found few bullets.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry I was practising in my backgarden shooting range.
Where the **** do you live? South central Los Angeles?
Sometimes, people like to hunt around here.
Reply 5
Original post by Impressive
Hear - rarely, once I've found few bullets.*

Sometimes I find buckshot pellets on the platform at the train station. There's some woodland about 200m opposite that I think someone shoots in. Still, bad shooting habit. Basic rule - check your target and beyond. If there's someone shooting at something and there's a busy train platform a few hundred metres behind it, that's just being careless.

If you go for a walk round the countryside on some of the public footpaths here, it's pretty common to see a few bright orange 12ga shell casings lying around. Annoys me sometimes - a bit hypocritical to be someone who apparently works the land and relies on it for a living, but's happy to leave plastic casings lying on the dirt. It doesn't take much to pick them up.

Original post by Arkarian
Sorry I was practising in my backgarden shooting range.

Lol at 3am? You rocking a fancy Trijicon or something there? hehe :P*
Reply 6
no, but I do hear knocking. Literally, all of last night I could just hear endless knocking coming from my wardrobe room area + i just wanted someone to shoot me in that moment but I eventually convinced myself that it was a woodpecker outside of my house banging against the bricks or something, even though it was literally coming from my wardrobe + I was scared to go inside this evening to pick out some new pyjamas + blah + i know that has nothing to do with guns but i needed to share it so thanks.
Reply 7
Original post by Cap.Henry Avery
Where the **** do you live? South central Los Angeles?

Lol just on the border between Beds and Herts - between Stevenage and Biggleswade. Although I am looking at going for a job in LA since you mention it :P

Original post by TercioOfParma
Sometimes, people like to hunt around here.

Yeah same here, especially during pheasant season (which I believe has just ended, or is about to end), but usually early morning around 7-9am. Not 3 in the morning in pitch darkness.*
Original post by XMaramena
Lol at 3am? You rocking a fancy Trijicon or something there? hehe :P*

Its actually almost 4am and nah, I prefer a Dragonov, semi auto.
Original post by Anon_98
no, but I do hear knocking. Literally, all of last night I could just hear endless knocking coming from my wardrobe room area + i just wanted someone to shoot me in that moment but I eventually convinced myself that it was a woodpecker outside of my house banging against the bricks or something, even though it was literally coming from my wardrobe + I was scared to go inside this evening to pick out some new pyjamas + blah + i know that has nothing to do with guns but i needed to share it so thanks.

Sorry, was I keeping you awake as well? The rack in your closet fell so I was hammering a nail back in.

Yeah same here, especially during pheasant season (which I believe has just ended, or is about to end), but usually early morning around 7-9am. Not 3 in the morning in pitch darkness.*

They do around here.... Could be the mafia.
Reply 11
Original post by Anon_98

I often heard knocking sounds in the night when I was younger. Scared me for years!

But it actually turned out to the pipes and valves by the heater - as the heater starts going around 3-4am in time for an early start, the increase in water temperature causes a pressure increase which means that the pipes can make "knocking" sounds as they very slightly move and expand. If you have water pipes going around that area, maybe this might make you feel a bit better :smile:*
Reply 12
Original post by TercioOfParma
They do around here.... Could be the mafia.

More likely some stupid teenagers lamping. Lamping really hits a nerve with me. Deeply.
All the time. :zomg:

Too bad they don't shoot out the old low pressure sodium lighting in my area so our council will have to replace the lighting with LEDs. :colonhash: :moon:
Reply 14
Its actually almost 4am and nah, I prefer a Dragonov, semi auto.

Ooh CoD Prestige eh :P*
Reply 15
Original post by RavioliDance
All the time. :zomg:

Too bad they don't shoot out the old low pressure sodium lighting in my area so our council will have to replace the lighting with LEDs. :colonhash: :moon:

Count yourself lucky. You have lighting. The most annoying thing I do at this time of night is using full beams past the bedroom windows when I'm driving home because there aren't any street lamps.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ooh CoD Prestige eh :P*

No I hate CoD I mean the guns themselves are quite nice. I've always liked rifles more than other guns.

Count yourself lucky. You have lighting. The most annoying thing I do at this time of night is using full beams past the bedroom windows when I'm driving home because there aren't any street lamps.

You can have our old low pressure sodium lighting then instead of it being shot at! :yep:
Sorry, was I keeping you awake as well? The rack in your closet fell so I was hammering a nail back in.

:biggrin:

I often heard knocking sounds in the night when I was younger. Scared me for years!

But it actually turned out to the pipes and valves by the heater - as the heater starts going around 3-4am in time for an early start, the increase in water temperature causes a pressure increase which means that the pipes can make "knocking" sounds as they very slightly move and expand. If you have water pipes going around that area, maybe this might make you feel a bit better :smile:*

oh, I see. Thanks v much for that, I was so terrified + have been since. Well, I don't know, I obviously have a heater in my room so you're probably right + I know it's most likely a rational cause but we never see it that way when we're alone + it's night time. Thank you, it did.
Reply 19
Original post by RavioliDance
You can have our old low pressure sodium lighting then instead of it being shot at! :yep:

Lol, we've got that old orange lighting down the ends of the village, but the 300-400m stretch of the double corner (or really really sharp S-bend if you think about it) that I live on, all the lampposts have been out of order for about a year and nobody at the council gives a ****. Which is a bit stupid considering that there's a Grade I listed church right on the corner and the train station carpark is a hotspot for idiot street drifters late at night thinking they're Bedfordshire's answer to Fast and Furious.

Latest