The Student Room Group

Changing name and moving country to start a new life.

I graduate from university this year- I hated childhood and everything associated with it but I'd rather not go into details- I hated uni and the course but I felt I had to finish the three years because otherwise I would be labelled "uneducated". Now that freedom is almost near in sight- I want to forget everything, just change name so I can try and forget everyone and everything that happened and put it in the past- I have planned this for almost three years now -this isn't just impulsive whim-from what I'll be called down to the job I will get when I graduate until I get my immigration visa arrives and even the plans I will make when I reach my destination country.
My issue is: Should I change my name before I leave my home country or after I reach my new country?
One factor also which is swaying me to do it before then is that my uni does not give out replacement degree certificates for name changes- they say just show proof of deed poll with original degree certificate. I don't want to remember old name whenever I apply for a job in my new country. I wasted three years of my life on this degree it might as well come in useful sometime.
I'd appreciate any helpful opinions. Thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
I graduate from university this year- I hated childhood and everything associated with it but I'd rather not go into details- I hated uni and the course but I felt I had to finish the three years because otherwise I would be labelled "uneducated". Now that freedom is almost near in sight- I want to forget everything, just change name so I can try and forget everyone and everything that happened and put it in the past- I have planned this for almost three years now -this isn't just impulsive whim-from what I'll be called down to the job I will get when I graduate until I get my immigration visa arrives and even the plans I will make when I reach my destination country.
My issue is: Should I change my name before I leave my home country or after I reach my new country?
One factor also which is swaying me to do it before then is that my uni does not give out replacement degree certificates for name changes- they say just show proof of deed poll with original degree certificate. I don't want to remember old name whenever I apply for a job in my new country. I wasted three years of my life on this degree it might as well come in useful sometime.
I'd appreciate any helpful opinions. Thanks.

I m afraid there's no way round to put to show a change of name deed when people request to see your certificate. However, depending on where you're emigrating to, changing your name when you're just about to apply for a visa might complicate things so waiting till you get there could be the simplest option.
My 19 year old son changed his surname by Deed Poll. He included my surname after his and his late father's surname, which he also kept to keep his father's side of the family happy. The Deed Poll came through in time for his new name to be included on his BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma. But his GCSE certificates will always have just his father's [i.e his old ] surname on them. For his Social Care college course and work placements he has to have an up to date AccessNI Enhanced Disclosure Certificate. But each year on the application for a new one they ask if he has been known by any other surname. Which he states that he has, and there is usually no hold up at all. This is for what they call Regulated Activity ,i.e. for working with children and vulnerable adults. I doubt it is going to matter for any other job.You will always have your Birth Certificate with your original name on it anyway. I think it is important that, even though you intend to change your name that you do so,as far as with a view to training or employment are concerned, in a completely open and honest way. Don't try and pretend you never had the name you now have. That would come across as being quite deceptive I think.

Quick Reply