The Student Room Group

Student debts wipe out most graduate pay premiums - report

I think this is something most of us knew. I have long been a proponent of a graduate tax. This would mean those who end up going to better unis pay more for the privilege.

From the BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36916009

"The report says that in 2002, ministers put it at £400,000, but recent estimates have been more modest at about £100,000." So about £2k per year in which your interest wipes that out anyway.

I think our current system is better than no fees (just look at the mess Scotland is in)
That said it needs another overhaul - and not just small raises in fees as per the current whitepaper.

Scroll to see replies

I completely agree with the report. Far too often universities and the government uses the graduate earning bonus to deflect from genuine calls for better value for money.

While I'm not against tuition fee because it's not right to burden other taxpayers with subsidised education, I feel that universities must be more transparent in justifying their value for money.

I'd propose a legal requirement to publish an annual breakdown of how the tuition fee was used. It's important for students to be able to scrutinise their university's spending.
Original post by CherishFreedom
I completely agree with the report. Far too often universities and the government uses the graduate earning bonus to deflect from genuine calls for better value for money.

While I'm not against tuition fee because it's not right to burden other taxpayers with subsidised education, I feel that universities must be more transparent in justifying their value for money.

I'd propose a legal requirement to publish an annual breakdown of how the tuition fee was used. It's important for students to be able to scrutinise their university's spending.

Universities publish public accounts which explain their spending.
Original post by PQ
Universities publish public accounts which explain their spending.

I know but it really does not tell how the money was used for ones education. It would be much better to report the spending on a departmental level. I've accidententally edited this out on my previous post.

For example:

Staff wages (total wages paid in department / number of students in department) - £x
Lab supplies - £x
Maintenance
etc.

It is much easier for universities to dilute its justification when spending report is produced at a top level.
(edited 7 years ago)

That's an interesting proposition but I'm not really sure how it would help a student make a decision? Most degrees cost far more than the tuition fee, unis get charity money, gov money, endowments etc. It would be hard to put all this together to make a coherent cost of each degree and compare like for like.

For example a degree at oxford in med for an Int student is £25k. This means UK students are getting at least an extra 16k per year free.

I really don't see how this would help, this is just pushes the blame onto the universities when the actual cause of the problem is a lack of government funding.
Original post by Plagioclase
I really don't see how this would help, this is just pushes the blame onto the universities when the actual cause of the problem is a lack of government funding.

I disagree, government funding really plays no part in a University's accountability on spending.

Government funding effectively means subsidising tuition fees at the expense of other taxpayers, including those who do not choose to study at higher education level. It is unfair to those people and it also changes nothing, because the expense will bite you back in the form of taxation.

My point is that Universities must produce data which allow students to scrutinise their department's tuition fees spending more easily.

A spending report produced at university level allows way too much leeway to distort spending.

For example my university's annual statement has an expense called 'academic departments' with no further breakdown of what is being spent on at departmental level.
Original post by skeptical_john
That's an interesting proposition but I'm not really sure how it would help a student make a decision? Most degrees cost far more than the tuition fee, unis get charity money, gov money, endowments etc. It would be hard to put all this together to make a coherent cost of each degree and compare like for like.

For example a degree at oxford in med for an Int student is £25k. This means UK students are getting at least an extra 16k per year free.

I think there needs to be a procedure to ensure accountability in university's spending, especially when they receive public funding. Better transparency would be a good start because it will force universities to put more effort in justifying their spending. The objective is to improve value of money, it would not change the funding structure if that is the amount of money needed.

For your example, UK students don't get £16k free. They will soon become taxpayers and that shortfall will be added to their taxes over time.

For your example, UK students don't get £16k free. They will soon become taxpayers and that shortfall will be added to their taxes over time.

My point here is that my quoted degree costs an int student £25k. This is a more realistic cost of the tuition than the 9k a UK student pays. Whereas say English @ Coventry costs an international student £11k.

So in this example for uk students both pay the same fees and all other things being equal both pay back the same amount but the oxford student has had at least £14k more funding per year at no extra cost.

The tuition fee has little reflection of the cost of the degree and no reflection what so ever on career prospects. (These were both things instrumental to the plan to increase tuition fees)
Original post by skeptical_john
My point here is that my quoted degree costs an int student £25k. This is a more realistic cost of the tuition than the 9k a UK student pays. Whereas say English @ Coventry costs an international student £11k.

So in this example for uk students both pay the same fees and all other things being equal both pay back the same amount but the oxford student has had at least £14k more funding per year at no extra cost.

The tuition fee has little reflection of the cost of the degree and no reflection what so ever on career prospects. (These were both things instrumental to the plan to increase tuition fees)

Then I would argue that local students are offered a discount on their tuition, on the basis that the shortfall can be reabsorbed by taxation later on. Meanwhile the government pays the shortfall in advance in the form of government funding.

Also there is no problem in charging a fee on top of your departmental spending e.g. for university expansion, or charging a disproportionate amount on international students compared to local students, as they most likely will not become a UK taxpayer after graduation. What is important is that universities are direct and honest about their spending.
I disagree, government funding really plays no part in a University's accountability on spending.

Government funding effectively means subsidising tuition fees at the expense of other taxpayers, including those who do not choose to study at higher education level. It is unfair to those people and it also changes nothing, because the expense will bite you back in the form of taxation.

My point is that Universities must produce data which allow students to scrutinise their department's tuition fees spending more easily.

A spending report produced at university level allows way too much leeway to distort spending.

For example my university's annual statement has an expense called 'academic departments' with no further breakdown of what is being spent on at departmental level.

I'm not sure how much it would help individual applicants for universities to publish breakdowns of student spending. Few students would read it, fewer would extract any useful conclusions from it, and I suspect most of those who did have that level of initiative would probably not base their decision of where to go on it. At the end of the day, much of the value of most degrees is in the perception of those degrees among employers, and that has nothing to do with university spending. I think what would be more useful to students is greater transparency from universities about the fates of their graduates.

On the taxation point, I don't think it's inherently unfair for taxpayers to subsidise university fees. We all benefit from having a well educated workforce, especially in an economy dependent on finance and services, and we already have progressive income taxation which ensures that good graduates who get well-paid jobs put more tax back into the system from which they benefited.*

I don't agree in the slightest. You could use the exact same argument to oppose subsidising other essential services such as healthcare. Most other successful European countries have free or very cheap higher education because they view higher education as an intrinsically important service for society, rather than the absurd view in this country that the only value of education is for you to get more money. You wouldn't call it unfair for the NHS to be paid for by the taxpayer just because some people use it more than others, because it's an investment into society. Higher education is the exact same thing and it's absolutely essential for any knowledge-based economy.

Demanding universities to be more transparent about what they spend it on suggests that they are somehow responsible for our high fees due to extravagance or incompetence (neither of which are the case) and detracts away from the fact that they receive a pittance from the government for teaching undergraduates in comparison to other countries.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
Demanding universities to be more transparent about what they spend it on suggests that they are somehow responsible for our high fees due to extravagance or incompetence (neither of which are the case) and detracts away from the fact that they receive a pittance from the government for teaching undergraduates in comparison to other countries.

I don't think demanding honesty and transparency on how universities spend their money is too much to ask for. If they are responsible in their spending they have nothing to worry about.
The danger is we are talking about average students. I'd rather nto be average and in those cases many students earn a significant premium because of their education as well as many only being able to access that niche job market because of a degree.

Theres also a class of student who will never pay off their debt because they take themselves out of the job market to become full time mums. Their debt is written off.

Definitely worth it for both of those groups.
Original post by 999tigger
The danger is we are talking about average students. I'd rather nto be average and in those cases many students earn a significant premium because of their education as well as many only being able to access that niche job market because of a degree.

Theres also a class of student who will never pay off their debt because they take themselves out of the job market to become full time mums. Their debt is written off.

Definitely worth it for both of those groups.

It is actually the average student who is worse of all. Those who do really well pay off their degree quite quick without accruing much interest. The average student spends the best part of 30 years paying it off and the rest have theirs wiped off.

Sure no one wants to be average but when you delve into the data unless you've have had a privileged background ie public school, rich parents then you have incredibly tough odds to beat.
I know but it really does not tell how the money was used for ones education. It would be much better to report the spending on a departmental level. I've accidententally edited this out on my previous post.

For example:

Staff wages (total wages paid in department / number of students in department) - £x
Lab supplies - £x
Maintenance
etc.

It is much easier for universities to dilute its justification when spending report is produced at a top level.

So table 8 of this public dataset that costs £41
https://www.hesa.ac.uk/index.php?option=com_pubs&Itemid=&task=show_year&pubId=1719&versionId=31&yearId=331

Or if you wanted more information then the sort of thing you could get for free with an FoI request.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PQ
So table 8 of this public dataset that costs £41
https://www.hesa.ac.uk/index.php?option=com_pubs&Itemid=&task=show_year&pubId=1719&versionId=31&yearId=331

Or if you wanted more information then the sort of thing you could get for free with an FoI request.

As I said, what I am proposing is for all universities to be legally required to publish their departmental spending.

The fact that one has to pay £41 or submit a FoI request means that they are not publishing these expenses openly.

We are talking about an open and transparent procedure for students to understand what specifically their tuition fees are bring spent on. Playing the FoI game is not the most transparent way to go.
As I said, what I am proposing is for all universities to be legally required to publish their departmental spending.

The fact that one has to pay £41 or submit a FoI request means that they are not publishing these expenses openly.

We are talking about an open and transparent procedure for students to understand what specifically their tuition fees are bring spent on. Playing the FoI game is not the most transparent way to go.

Hesa just finished consulting on making more of the data they hold freely available as part of their open data project.

https://www.hesa.ac.uk/component/content/article/19-consultations/3975-hesa-open-data-consultation?Itemid=435

What you're suggesting is already being made more readily available.
Original post by PQ
Hesa just finished consulting on making more of the data they hold freely available as part of their open data project.

https://www.hesa.ac.uk/component/content/article/19-consultations/3975-hesa-open-data-consultation?Itemid=435

What you're suggesting is already being made more readily available.

The consultation had only just closed 3 days ago, they still have not published the result and their intended actions.

Also in table K of the report you mentioned previously, which lays out the format for table 8, has extremely limited and broad categories for departmental spending.

The expenses are categorised as 'Academic staff costs', 'other staff costs', and 'depreciation'.
The consultation had only just closed 3 days ago, they still have not published the result and their intended actions.

Also in table K of the report you mentioned previously, which lays out the format for table 8, has extremely limited and broad categories for departmental spending.

The expenses are categorised as 'Academic staff costs', 'other staff costs', and 'depreciation'.

What other departmental costs do you expect? Equipment, facilities, consumables etc will all be covered by central budgets. The English dept doesn't decide to build a new building - that's a university level capital investment which is then the space the English dept inhabit. If the university management decide to repurpose a building the departments affected have very little say in the matter.

You seem to misunderstand university budget management, recourse allocation and accounting practices.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending