The Student Room Group

General medical application stuff

Where are people applying? Why are they applying there? UKCAT scores? Gcse results? Anythingn to do with medicine application
Reply 1
Original post by Dan Milik
Where are people applying? Why are they applying there? UKCAT scores? Gcse results? Anythingn to do with medicine application

Are you asking abut undergrad entry or grad entry?
Reply 2
Original post by polerat
Are you asking abut undergrad entry or grad entry?

Either I'll be undergrad but just want to see where people are applying and for what reasons, to help me make my decision on where to apply
Reply 3
Either I'll be undergrad but just want to see where people are applying and for what reasons, to help me make my decision on where to apply

If i were you I wouldn't go of where other people are applying. You should be looking at your strengths and based on that making a decision.
Reply 4
Original post by polerat
If i were you I wouldn't go of where other people are applying. You should be looking at your strengths and based on that making a decision.

That's why I'm trying to gather information about each university i.e why people are applying there being due to how they did etc as looking on stat sheets or comparision sheets alone doesn't give me all the information I want about which suit me the best if that makes sense. I obviously wasn't able to attend all of the open days so I want to gather information to find out which universities suit my gcses, ukcat etc
That's why I'm trying to gather information about each university i.e why people are applying there being due to how they did etc as looking on stat sheets or comparision sheets alone doesn't give me all the information I want about which suit me the best if that makes sense. I obviously wasn't able to attend all of the open days so I want to gather information to find out which universities suit my gcses, ukcat etc

Asking other applicants where they are applying is not going to help you, because its about them not yourself and every applicant is different.

try this link first: http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/MSC-Entry-requirements-for-UK-medical-schools.pdf

Its a great starting point to see the entry requirements of each medical school.

If you would like anymore help then feel free to PM me with your stats and I can point you in the right direction.
Reply 6
Original post by Natalierm2707
Asking other applicants where they are applying is not going to help you, because its about them not yourself and every applicant is different.

try this link first: http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/MSC-Entry-requirements-for-UK-medical-schools.pdf

Its a great starting point to see the entry requirements of each medical school.

If you would like anymore help then feel free to PM me with your stats and I can point you in the right direction.

This is exactly the type of thing I wanted to look at. Thank you for being so helpful!
Reply 7
Need help as to where to apply for medical school, want to give myself the best chance of getting interviews so could people send any websites or give any information regards to this
Reply 8
Need help as to where to apply for medical school, want to give myself the best chance of getting interviews so could people send any websites or give any information regards to this

Hi Dan,*

It's good that you are being smart and applying strategically. It's difficult for me to recommend medical schools since I do not know your details.

What are your GCSE grades? Have you taken the UKCAT yet? If so, what was your score? Predicted AS/A level grades?*

Plus the personal statement is an integral part of your application. I'll assume you have the relevant experience and reflections present that the medical school will be looking for.

Reply 9
Original post by 06shawm
Hi Dan,*

It's good that you are being smart and applying strategically. It's difficult for me to recommend medical schools since I do not know your details.

What are your GCSE grades? Have you taken the UKCAT yet? If so, what was your score? Predicted AS/A level grades?*

Plus the personal statement is an integral part of your application. I'll assume you have the relevant experience and reflections present that the medical school will be looking for.

Gcses: 6 A*, 5 A and a B ( the B was in french and A* include maths, bio, chem, physics)
A level predictions AAA ( bio, maths, chem
UKCAT: average 693 but only band 3 for SJT
Gcses: 6 A*, 5 A and a B ( the B was in french and A* include maths, bio, chem, physics)
A level predictions AAA ( bio, maths, chem
UKCAT: average 693 but only band 3 for SJT

Avoid anywhere who use the SJT as part of their selection so HYMS, Leicester, Edinburgh as this is lower than most candidates.

Avoid really GCSE heavy medical schools considering you dont have an A* in english. So these include edinburgh, cardiff, birmingham, oxford, QUB. I would also say that your GCSE and UKCAT combo may be a bit borderline for kings so have a look but watch out.

Unless you have EPQ or extra UCAS points your score may be a bit on the low side for barts.

Your UKCAT is very strong and paired with your academics could make for good applications at manchester, Liverpool, UEA, SGUL, bristol, plymouth.

Avoid Cambridge because your predicted grades are not what they require, same for UCL and exeter. If you want to take the BMAT look at lancaster, leeds, BSMS.

The very UKCAT heavy unis such as southampton, newcastle and glasgow are always hard when you are 690-700, it could be risky but maybe worth applying to one if you like them.

Hope that helps a bit, if you make a spreadsheet and go through every unis requirements and admissions policies you can easily highlight where your likely to get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Natalierm2707
Avoid anywhere who use the SJT as part of their selection so HYMS, Leicester, Edinburgh as this is lower than most candidates.

Avoid really GCSE heavy medical schools considering you dont have an A* in english. So these include edinburgh, cardiff, birmingham, oxford, QUB. I would also say that your GCSE and UKCAT combo may be a bit borderline for kings so have a look but watch out.

Unless you have EPQ or extra UCAS points your score may be a bit on the low side for barts.

Your UKCAT is very strong and paired with your academics could make for good applications at manchester, Liverpool, UEA, SGUL, bristol, plymouth.

Avoid Cambridge because your predicted grades are not what they require, same for UCL and exeter. If you want to take the BMAT look at lancaster, leeds, BSMS.

The very UKCAT heavy unis such as southampton, newcastle and glasgow are always hard when you are 690-700, it could be risky but maybe worth applying to one if you like them.

Hope that helps a bit, if you make a spreadsheet and go through every unis requirements and admissions policies you can easily highlight where your likely to get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I am in the process of tabling all the information I am finding to make it easier to chose where to apply by mixing my chances and whether I like the course, uni and city itself.
Also with regards to Leicester, I was under the impression they were 'happy' with the SJT as long as it was not Band 4.

Thanks for your help
Yeah I am in the process of tabling all the information I am finding to make it easier to chose where to apply by mixing my chances and whether I like the course, uni and city itself.
Also with regards to Leicester, I was under the impression they were 'happy' with the SJT as long as it was not Band 4.

Thanks for your help

I cannot remember whether leicester were the med school that used the SJT during the interview stage. I know hull york do, but have a look because it will lose you points at interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending