The Student Room Group

College help

Hi,

could you please recommend colleges all over England that are cheap/free but good for education... And are colleges (for age 16) free normally? I live in Spain but thinking of attending school in England starting at age 16...
What subject would you want to study, would you want to do multiple subject and would you rather get A-Levels or BTEC?
Reply 2
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
What subject would you want to study, would you want to do multiple subject and would you rather get A-Levels or BTEC?

What subjects can I choose? And which is better a level or btec? I prefer something with tech, like maybe coding that seems to be doing some money in this world but I have never coded. And just to say I prefer college instead of Sixth form colleges.
Original post by KristjanR
What subjects can I choose? And which is better a level or btec? I prefer something with tech, like maybe coding that seems to be doing some money in this world but I have never coded. And just to say I prefer college instead of Sixth form colleges.

i'll answer you're second question first. BTECs are far more specific, allowing you to get a degree in something like "Computing and IT", "Hair and Beauty, "Music Performance" and many many more. You generally get more experience and life skills than with A-Levels and there are no exams. The downside to BTEC is that if you want to go on to University you can really only do degrees related to your BTEC and some places do not accept them, although this is the very small minority. Don't let this deter you from BTECs though as people doing BTECs do them because they know what they want to do, what kind of degree they want to do and what industry they want to work in. One BTEC course can be equivalent to multiple A-Levels, for example I did a Music Performance BTEC that is worth three A-Levels.

A-Levels however are the more general qualifications in things like Maths, Physics, English Literature etc. These are accepted at every university and will allow you to get into far more degrees giving you more choice. A-Levels however have a few exams at the end of the year and you'll need to do at least three to get into a degree normally.As for which is better that is up to you. Generally if you prefer exams A-Levels are the best choice but if you don't like exams, don't do well in exams or prefer coursework, BTECs are better.

As you want to do programming and such I'd recommend a Levle 3 BTEC so you can get experience doing it.

I enjoyed my college, Stafford College, because my department was fantastic. Great staff, great facilities and equipment. Many colleges differ so I'd research what has the best course for you.

Hopefully this has been of some help.
Reply 4
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
i'll answer you're second question first. BTECs are far more specific, allowing you to get a degree in something like "Computing and IT", "Hair and Beauty, "Music Performance" and many many more. You generally get more experience and life skills than with A-Levels and there are no exams. The downside to BTEC is that if you want to go on to University you can really only do degrees related to your BTEC and some places do not accept them, although this is the very small minority. Don't let this deter you from BTECs though as people doing BTECs do them because they know what they want to do, what kind of degree they want to do and what industry they want to work in. One BTEC course can be equivalent to multiple A-Levels, for example I did a Music Performance BTEC that is worth three A-Levels.

A-Levels however are the more general qualifications in things like Maths, Physics, English Literature etc. These are accepted at every university and will allow you to get into far more degrees giving you more choice. A-Levels however have a few exams at the end of the year and you'll need to do at least three to get into a degree normally.As for which is better that is up to you. Generally if you prefer exams A-Levels are the best choice but if you don't like exams, don't do well in exams or prefer coursework, BTECs are better.

As you want to do programming and such I'd recommend a Levle 3 BTEC so you can get experience doing it.

I enjoyed my college, Stafford College, because my department was fantastic. Great staff, great facilities and equipment. Many colleges differ so I'd research what has the best course for you.

Hopefully this has been of some help.

Okey thanks. So btec basically is projects through out the year while A levels are exams in the end of the course? And the college you went is for coding IT as well? And when I go to college they give me then 2 opportunities like a levels or btec or depends on college?
Reply 5
Okey thanks. So btec basically is projects through out the year while A levels are exams in the end of the course? And the college you went is for coding IT as well? And when I go to college they give me then 2 opportunities like a levels or btec or depends on college?

That's basically it. A levels are exams, BTEC is coursework. I did BTEC in IT and we had programming and game design lessons along with the usual computing ones. Most colleges have a selection of A levels and BTECs. I would decide on an area you would like to live in. I wouldn't recommend big cities if you won't have much money although some are reasonably cheap like Bristol and Cardiff (if Wales is fine for you).

Most colleges are free as long as it's your first that level course and you're under a certain age (20+ so you're fine). Although there are some private colleges that you would have to pay for.
Reply 6
Original post by Devify
That's basically it. A levels are exams, BTEC is coursework. I did BTEC in IT and we had programming and game design lessons along with the usual computing ones. Most colleges have a selection of A levels and BTECs. I would decide on an area you would like to live in. I wouldn't recommend big cities if you won't have much money although some are reasonably cheap like Bristol and Cardiff (if Wales is fine for you).

Most colleges are free as long as it's your first that level course and you're under a certain age (20+ so you're fine). Although there are some private colleges that you would have to pay for.

Just out of the topic do you have a good job on IT right now? And what college did you study in?
Reply 7
Just out of the topic do you have a good job on IT right now? And what college did you study in?

I went to Bridgwater college, mostly because I had family around there. I'm currently doing computer science at Cardiff university so don't have a proper job just yet. I can tell you specifically about the BTEC I did if you want to know anything tho
Reply 8
Original post by Devify
I went to Bridgwater college, mostly because I had family around there. I'm currently doing computer science at Cardiff university so don't have a proper job just yet. I can tell you specifically about the BTEC I did if you want to know anything tho

Yes and for jobs around tech like coding, is it better A level or btec. And btec is hard? Especially is coding hard for someone who has never coded in life?
Reply 9
Yes and for jobs around tech like coding, is it better A level or btec. And btec is hard? Especially is coding hard for someone who has never coded in life?

If you want to go into coding you'll probably have to go to university after going through either one. With A levels you will HAVE to go to uni as you will have no experience. With BTEC you could manage with getting and apprenticeship afterwards so not go to uni but a lot of the companies want at least a bachelor's degree which means going to uni.

BTEC is hard if you can't manage your time. Sometimes we had 6 different assignments out at the same time and then 1 or 2 assignments due in each week. So you finished one and had to jump on the next one because that was due in next week. And the usual assignments added up to about 5000 words. If it was a programming one it was closer to 10,000-15,000 words in a word document plus a created program. So if you didn't want to have to spend 24/7 to finish the assignments you need to plan it out well.

Coding is not that hard because they start teaching you from scratch. As long as you pay attention and have enough logical understanding you'll do fine. Since it's all coursework you can also always Google stuff if something is not working or you can simply ask a teacher or one of the other students to take a look at it.
Reply 10
Original post by Devify
If you want to go into coding you'll probably have to go to university after going through either one. With A levels you will HAVE to go to uni as you will have no experience. With BTEC you could manage with getting and apprenticeship afterwards so not go to uni but a lot of the companies want at least a bachelor's degree which means going to uni.

BTEC is hard if you can't manage your time. Sometimes we had 6 different assignments out at the same time and then 1 or 2 assignments due in each week. So you finished one and had to jump on the next one because that was due in next week. And the usual assignments added up to about 5000 words. If it was a programming one it was closer to 10,000-15,000 words in a word document plus a created program. So if you didn't want to have to spend 24/7 to finish the assignments you need to plan it out well.

Coding is not that hard because they start teaching you from scratch. As long as you pay attention and have enough logical understanding you'll do fine. Since it's all coursework you can also always Google stuff if something is not working or you can simply ask a teacher or one of the other students to take a look at it.

Okey but what kind of things did you program? And how long are the school hours? and after finishing college like you did is it possible to find a good job that pays atleast 2k per month? and do uni care if you did a levels or btec?
Reply 11
Original post by Devify

And the place you studied is a sixth form college? and for 3 years?
Reply 12
Okey but what kind of things did you program? And how long are the school hours? and after finishing college like you did is it possible to find a good job that pays atleast 2k per month? and do uni care if you did a levels or btec?

We did some simple programs like pizza selection at a restaurant or calculating the price for repainting a room depending on the custom measurements and paint selected. For the game we were given full creativity rights so could create anything we wanted. Some did platformers, some did flappy bird rip offs, some did bullet hell. But all your choice.

For BTEC we only were in 3 days a week. 12-16 hours a week so they're flexible like that. But to do the assignments you need to work on them out of lessons a lot. I would spend extra 3-9 hours a week, sometimes more.

Only way you'd get a job that pays that well would be if you got and finished a good apprenticeship afterwards or lived in London. Uni graduate jobs start off from around 18k a year. 24k if you're lucky if not in London

Some uni's don't take BTEC ir want A level maths on top. So look at specific uni's you would like to go to
Reply 13
Original post by Devify
We did some simple programs like pizza selection at a restaurant or calculating the price for repainting a room depending on the custom measurements and paint selected. For the game we were given full creativity rights so could create anything we wanted. Some did platformers, some did flappy bird rip offs, some did bullet hell. But all your choice.

For BTEC we only were in 3 days a week. 12-16 hours a week so they're flexible like that. But to do the assignments you need to work on them out of lessons a lot. I would spend extra 3-9 hours a week, sometimes more.

Only way you'd get a job that pays that well would be if you got and finished a good apprenticeship afterwards or lived in London. Uni graduate jobs start off from around 18k a year. 24k if you're lucky if not in London

Some uni's don't take BTEC ir want A level maths on top. So look at specific uni's you would like to go to

But were you studied is a sixth form? and from what age to what age were you there?
Reply 14
But were you studied is a sixth form? and from what age to what age were you there?

Sixth form college is a school that has college courses. It's what you have to do when you're 16 or you go to college. Either you do it or you go to work. You do usually 2 years of sixth form college from 16 to 18 and then start university at 18.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Devify
Sixth form college is a school that has college courses. It's what you have to do when you're 16 or you go to college. Either you do it or you go to work. You do usually 2 years of sixth form college from 16 to 18 and then start university at 18.

But you did 6th form college not normal college? And whats the big difference between 6th form and normal college?
Reply 16
But you did 6th form college not normal college? And whats the big difference between 6th form and normal college?

I did normal college. That's what I've been telling you. Sixth form college is just a school that has college courses. So a sixth form college has kids from like 10yos doing school courses and then 16yos+ are doing college courses. A college only has the older students 16+.
So both do A levels and/or BTEC.

Some colleges have university level courses that you can progress to after the normal courses. But at 16 you go to a college and then you go to a uni afterwards if you want to.
Reply 17
Original post by Devify
I did normal college. That's what I've been telling you. Sixth form college is just a school that has college courses. So a sixth form college has kids from like 10yos doing school courses and then 16yos+ are doing college courses. A college only has the older students 16+.
So both do A levels and/or BTEC.

Some colleges have university level courses that you can progress to after the normal courses. But at 16 you go to a college and then you go to a uni afterwards if you want to.

Okey and in a level of goodness or like in rating of UK how high up is Bridgwater college? Is it in top 100 or 50 of best colleges or best it colleges? And if I moved there but without family in UK and be alone in an apartment would the gov or the school let me like that?
Reply 18
Okey and in a level of goodness or like in rating of UK how high up is Bridgwater college? Is it in top 100 or 50 of best colleges or best it colleges? And if I moved there but without family in UK and be alone in an apartment would the gov or the school let me like that?

They don't really do a lot of rankings. It's mostly like Ofsted rated ones and such. You can check this https://www.theguardian.com/education/alevels2000/table/0,,355874,00.html
But it doesn't really say if they're private ones or not. And truthfully the college level doesn't really mater. Your college grades only mater for uni applications and you can get ones in crap colleges and good colleges alike as long as you put in the work. All of the courses can be done by self learning so look more at where you want to live.

As for living alone, it's fine as long as you manage to pay the rent and such.

Quick Reply

Latest