The Student Room Group

How many languages can you speak?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by viffer
English, Bollox and luuuuuuurve :smile:

The serious answer is that I can get by as a tourist in French and Spanish but would not claim to be anywhere near fluent in either

The last of the three is a universal language , you know it, then you own everything.
On a serious note, purpose of language first and foremost is making communication easy and a tourist level language is never bad.
Original post by Justmoll28
oh im so jealous, learned french in school for 7 years and still cant put together a sentence:frown: guess im not made for languages:'(

Hello :3

To learn French I suggest you to :
- watch 10min of the French news everyday
- listening to French music everyday (Stromae, Louane, Shym..)
- watch all your movies and series in French WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES ! It does not have to be a French movie, just settle it in French :yep: subtiles at every important tho ! At 1st you'll be lost, but after a few times you'll be able to relate what you hear to the subtitles
- read a few pages of a French book every night before you go to sleep, So you can remember better

Do all of the above literally everyday and you'll improve your French like crazy, trust me ;D
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
I speak fluently French, English, Arabic, I understand German to some extent, I've started to learn Czech (have given up on it for now to focus on my exams) next on the list is Italian :woo:
I love languages a lot a lot :love:

Lovely that you are into languages. I think languages bring a very new dynamic and dimension to life. But why Czech if I may ask?
Hello :3

To learnt French I suggest you to :
- watch 10min of the French news everyday
- listening to French music everyday (Stromae, Louane, Shym..)
- watch all your movies and series in French WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES ! It does not have to be a French movie, just settle it in French :yep: subtiles at every important tho ! At 1st you'll be lost, but after a few times you'll be able to relate what you hear to the subtitles
- read a few pages of a French book every night before you go to sleep, So you can remember better

Do all of the above literally everyday and you'll improve your French like crazy, trust me ;D

thanks!!!
Original post by DNA89
Lovely that you are into languages. I think languages bring a very new dynamic and dimension to life. But why Czech if I may ask?

I think the same :3
Well that's because I have applied to medical schools in Czech, for an English course but I have to learnt Czech anyway so I gave it a go :3

thanks!!!

YW dear :lovehug: Also you can practise with me if you want to, I'm a French native :yep:
Reply 25
I speak 3 (English, Portuguese and Spanish). Currently teaching myself grammar in Portuguese and Spanish, since I've never really got taught it :colondollar:
Well that's because I have applied to medical schools in Czech, for an English course but I have to learnt Czech anyway so I gave it a go :3

YW dear :lovehug: Also you can practise with me if you want to, I'm a French native :yep:

aw haha maybe in a couple of months when im less rusty haha :')
Reply 27
To various degrees- English, Spanish, French, Czech. I read and write Spanish but my listening skills are shite. Same with French, but worse because out of practice. Early days in Czech and I know a few things in German. But over the next three years I want to be able to say I speak them all to CEFR B2 at least. I don't know them well enough to put them on my LinkedIn, for instance.
(edited 7 years ago)

So nice to offer help with languages. Keep the great spirit up doctor :wink:
aw haha maybe in a couple of months when im less rusty haha :':wink:

Don't worry :3 good luck anyway If you decide to learn French :yep: :lovehug:
Original post by DNA89
So nice to offer help with languages. Keep the great spirit up doctor :wink:

Tyvm for saying that :cry2: You have no idea how much It means to me, thank you :h:
German, English and Italian, though my Italian has become a bit rusty after graduating from school. I also had to learn some Latin for university, but I don't really think that counts as the question was which languages I'm able to speak and the only thing I'm able to do is to translate Latin texts into German, with no speaking involved whatsoever.
I'm fluent in English and Gibberish.

Spoiler

Original post by ~Trifolium~
German, English and Italian, though my Italian has become a bit rusty after graduating from school. I also had to learn some Latin for university, but I don't really think that counts as the question was which languages I'm able to speak and the only thing I'm able to do is to translate Latin texts into German, with no speaking involved whatsoever.

Lovely languages -as all other languages- I want to learn German, I am told it is harder but I have come to know that no language is impossible to learn in a relatively reasonable time. I am planning to do my PhD in Germany so I want to get most out of my experience
Original post by DNA89
Lovely languages -as all other languages- I want to learn German, I am told it is harder but I have come to know that no language is impossible to learn in a relatively reasonable time. I am planning to do my PhD in Germany so I want to get most out of my experience
Obviously, as German's my native language I've never had to consciously learn it, but judging by what I have heard from friends who have another native language, it can be considered rather hard to learn.Still, I guess it depends on what you want to achieve. For example, I felt, that learning English was rather easy compared to Italian. At least if you're only interested in some basic language skills. I think, that if you really want to master a language, it does not matter which one it is- it will take lots of time and effort, regardless of how easy or difficult the Basics might be.
English and Spanish fluent, ok French, and am going to be studying Chinese in september
Reply 35
English native, fluent German, pretty good French and a smattering of Spanish.
Btw, was wondering: can anyone recommend any good language learning sites that offer the opportunity to chat with natives? Find it frustrating to have languages couped up in my head with limited opportunity to speak them.
a fair few :pierre:

Spoiler

Uno, English.
Original post by XOR_
Uno, English.

room 9 me vs @Matrix123 if u wanna watch

Spoiler

Original post by DNA89
How many languages can you speak fluently? What languages would you like to learn?
I personally can speak Kurdish-native-, English, Arabic, Turkish and Persian. Next language on my list is German.

fluent in english and bengali (illiterate in bengali though)
learning french and russian in my spare time. better at french though.

Quick Reply

Latest