7x + 2y = 13

What do you think? What can you cancel?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Jack_Tomlin
How would I solve this??

3x - 2y = 7
7x + 2y = 13

Notice that the "y"s have the same coefficient though with a different sign (-2 and +2). This means that you can add the equations together:

3x - 2y + 7x + 2y = 7 + 13

Then simplify, and you will find that you are left with an x term and a number.

5x = 20
x = 20/5
x = 4

Then substitute the value x = 4 into the top equation, ie replace the x with a 4.
Reply 3
Original post by OscarTG
Notice that the "y"s have the same coefficient though with a different sign (-2 and +2). This means that you can add the equations together:

5x = 20
x = 20/5
x = 4

Then substitute the value x = 4 into the top equation, ie replace the x with a 4.

I don't understand why you add the equations together? Would you mind doing a written method?
I don't understand why you add the equations together? Would you mind doing a written method?

-2++2=0

when the signs are different you always add, when they are the same you always subtract

You add them because then the y's cancel, thus leaving you only with an x which you can solve for. Once you have your x, substitute that into one of the two equations and solve for y.

When solving simultaneous equations you always aim to get rid off either x or y and in this case we choose y because it's easier by having the same coefficient (the number next to it).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by SuperHuman98
-2++2=0

when the signs are different you always add, when they are the same you always subtract

But I thought these were the rules:

- x - = +
+ x + = +
- X + = -
+ x - = -
But I thought these were the rules:

- x - = +
+ x + = +
- X + = -
+ x - = -

That's when you multiply numbers together... you don't multiply/divide two equations when it comes to solving them here.
Reply 8
How would I solve this??

3x - 2y = 7
7x + 2y = 13

Add them together to get rid of Y so you can solve for x
Original post by OscarTG

5x = 20
x = 20/5
x = 4

i though 7x+3x was 10x not 5x???
Reply 9
How would I solve this??

3x - 2y = 7
7x + 2y = 13

eqn1 + eqn 2
10x= 20
x= 2
Sub x = 2 into eqn 1
6 - 2y = 7
2y = -1
y = -0.5

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

You have a pair of simultaneous equations with two variables, x and y. The "x"s and "y"s are of the same value in both equations. But in order to obtain any of their values, you need to make an equation with only one variable, x or y, and then solve for that variable. Then substitute that value into one of the original equations.

(3x - 2y = 7)
[7x]

We have xs and ys. (3x - 2y) is equal to (7), and [7x + 2y] is equal to [13], so:
(3x - 2y) + [7x + 2y] = (7) + [13]

Here everything is being added or subtracted, so we can simply remove the brackets and simplify:

3x + 7x + 2y - 2y = 7 + 13
10x = 20 <---- Indeed, I made a numerical error in my rushed response earlier, my apologies for that.

From that, you can solve the value of x, and substitute that numerical value in the place of x into any of the two original equations, to leave just one variable (y in this case).

I hope I have explained myself well.
Reply 11
I have tried to do this one but dont know what to do next:

6x + 2y = 22 (1)
5x + 4y = 23 (2)

First I made the coefficients the same:

6x + 2y = 22 (x 4)
5x + 4y = 23 (x 2)

12x + 8y = 88
10x + 8y = 46
(edited 7 years ago)
I have tried to do this one but dont know what to do next:

6x + 2y = 22 (1)
5x + 4y = 23 (2)

First I made the coefficients the same:

6x + 2y = 22 (x 4)
5x + 4y = 23 (x 2)

12x + 8y = 88
10x + 8y = 46

Well done, now take one away from the other because if you were to add them, you would end up with 22x+16y=134 which you can't solve on its own. It's really as simple as that. I hope you understand that by combining these two equations through means of subtraction/addition, you can solve for one of the variables which wouldn't be possible given only one of those equations.
(edited 7 years ago)
How would I solve this??3x - 2y = 77x + 2y = 13
rearrange either of the equations for 2y, then substitute.
Reply 14
Original post by RDKGames
Well done, now take one away from the other because if you were to add them, you would end up with 22x+16y=134 which you can't solve on its own. It's really as simple as that. I hope you understand that by combining these two equations through means of subtraction/addition, you can solve for one of the variables which wouldn't be possible given only one of those equations.

12x + 8y = 88
10x + 8y = 46

So would it now be 10x = 42

then i would divide by 10 to get x on its own then do the same to 42 and I get x = 4.2
12x + 8y = 88
10x + 8y = 46

So would it now be 10x = 42

then i would divide by 10 to get x on its own then do the same to 42 and I get x = 4.2

No. Where did you get that from?
Reply 16
Original post by RDKGames
No. Where did you get that from?

I don't know :frown:
I don't know :frown:

12x + 8y = 88 ... (1)
10x + 8y = 46 ... (2)

Subtract (2) from (1) on both sides.

(1)(2):(12x+8y)(10+8y)=(88)(46)(1)-(2): (12x+8y)-(10+8y)=(88)-(46)

and you can solve that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
this thread is infuriating. Add them together, it's not hard. Watch some tutorial video if you're unsure. x=2 y = -0.5 is the solution

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 98matt
this thread is infuriating. Add them together, it's not hard. Watch some tutorial video if you're unsure. x=2 y = -0.5 is the solution

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel the same way lol, but would't want to be rude or anything. I wonder what year OP is in.

Quick Reply

Latest