The Student Room Group

Is my lecturer aloud to refuse help even if I told him about my medical illness

I've been having a issues with my lecturers they are refusing to help me. Are they aloud to do this?

Scroll to see replies

a bit vague, what kind of issues? what do you need help with? they can refuse anything they want, theyre not the same as school teachers
Original post by Justmoll28
a bit vague, what kind of issues? what do you need help with? they can refuse anything they want, theyre not the same as school teachers

Help with section 63 tresspass with intent to commit a sexual offence. Whether this is a basic or a specific intent crime.

And also sexual offences. As rape is classed to be a basic intent when it requires intention. This is confusing asSpecific intent crimes require intention, so how is this basic intent.

Basically my lecturers notes have mistakes and she rushed lectures like no tomorrow. Not everything has been covered and I have an exam in three weeks. I've noticed mistakes in the lecture notes and have asked whether they are mistakes, so I can get confirmation. As I don't want her to mark me down, as I believe she is so stupid sometimes.
I don't think calling your lecturers 'stupid' is the way to go. I think perhaps an email outlining your concerns re 'mistakes' would be more practical.
Original post by Highfiveyou
Help with section 63 tresspass with intent to commit a sexual offence. Whether this is a basic or a specific intent crime.

And also sexual offences. As rape is classed to be a basic intent when it requires intention. This is confusing asSpecific intent crimes require intention, so how is this basic intent.

Basically my lecturers notes have mistakes and she rushed lectures like no tomorrow. Not everything has been covered and I have an exam in three weeks. I've noticed mistakes in the lecture notes and have asked whether they are mistakes, so I can get confirmation. As I don't want her to mark me down, as I believe she is so stupid sometimes.
OK. Slow down.
1.) What is your medical illness (if that's not too personal)
2.) Asking a lecturer if something they've done is a mistake (unless you know them well) is never going to go down well.
3.) Are we referring to a number of lecturers here? You mention 'him' in the title and then 'she' in your post.

Did you mention what your medical illness is?

You think they are stupid? Perhaps you have created a poor impression and its at their discretion how helpful they are or not. Maybe ask nicely, but tbh why not just read your textbook on basic and specific intent.

Just had a quick look and you need to identify whether the mens rea goes beyond the actus reus (what is it for this crime?), in the sense that the defendant has some ulterior purpose (Is this required?)

If so you have specific intent.....

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/42/section/63
Original post by Seamus123
I don't think calling your lecturers 'stupid' is the way to go. I think perhaps an email outlining your concerns re 'mistakes' would be more practical.

Why are you a lecturer? Many undergraduates experience unfairness considering we have paid a lot for our studies. I am studying semester 2 of criminal law, and I can tell you criminal law in semester 1 was the same. My lecturer is female and my seminar teacher is a male. They both make mistakes in the lecture materials, and give false direction. I literally had to teach myself this topic first semester and got a first overall. The majority of the student never even got past 40% because they followed her guidance. The moment I spotted about 40 odd mistakes I decided to research before I learned topics of my head. This is far more than being stupid, it is pure negligence. I desire to get a job in the legal profession, and I am sadly having to retake as I missed my exams due to a my current medical illness. Sadly, people like this control our future. I know in university is about being independant, but it doesn't give them reason to give it false information.
Original post by 999tigger
Did you mention what your medical illness is?

You think they are stupid? Perhaps you have created a poor impression and its at their discretion how helpful they are or not. Maybe ask nicely, but tbh why not just read your textbook on basic and specific intent.

Just had a quick look and you need to identify whether the mens rea goes beyond the actus reus (what is it for this crime?), in the sense that the defendant has some ulterior purpose (Is this required?)

If so you have specific intent.....

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/42/section/63

Thank you for your help.
Thank you for your help.

I did mention my medical illness and they know. It's like they cant be asked to
Help.
Because we dont know the medical illness then its hard to comment. I think its entirely within the lecturers discretion whether to help you or not. They arent allowed to discriminate against you, but for example if you had learning difficulties, then am not sure they have to become your personal student. At some level you will be expected to go and do your own research.

If the lecturer is stupid as you claim and there are fundamental errors in the notes, then you should politely point them out. My thoughts are that your other class mates will also have spotted such errors and raised it with the lecturer, who would then correct it for everyone. Never had a problem with any of my lecturers, so just ask nicely, be concise and on point rather than demanding. I tended to go in person.

What about your course mates- can you confirm it with them, surely you are friendly enough with one of them who is reasonably on top and can explain it to you?
Why are you a lecturer? Many undergraduates experience unfairness considering we have paid a lot for our studies. I am studying semester 2 of criminal law, and I can tell you criminal law in semester 1 was the same. My lecturer is female and my seminar teacher is a male. They both make mistakes in the lecture materials, and give false direction. I literally had to teach myself this topic first semester and got a first overall. The majority of the student never even got past 40% because they followed her guidance. The moment I spotted about 40 odd mistakes I decided to research before I learned topics of my head. This is far more than being stupid, it is pure negligence. I desire to get a job in the legal profession, and I am sadly having to retake as I missed my exams due to a my current medical illness. Sadly, people like this control our future. I know in university is about being independant, but it doesn't give them reason to give it false information.

No, I am not a lecturer. And what does that have to do with it? If you have so many issues, then bring them to the attention of your university. It still does not excuse you or give you the right to call lecturers stupid. Did you actually think everyone here would agree with you? I also have medical issues while studying, but calling someone stupid is counterproductive.
Perhaps you could have a word with Student Services and see what can be done about your concerns?
Because we dont know the medical illness then its hard to comment. I think its entirely within the lecturers discretion whether to help you or not. They arent allowed to discriminate against you, but for example if you had learning difficulties, then am not sure they have to become your personal student. At some level you will be expected to go and do your own research.

If the lecturer is stupid as you claim and there are fundamental errors in the notes, then you should politely point them out. My thoughts are that your other class mates will also have spotted such errors and raised it with the lecturer, who would then correct it for everyone. Never had a problem with any of my lecturers, so just ask nicely, be concise and on point rather than demanding. I tended to go in person.

What about your course mates- can you confirm it with them, surely you are friendly enough with one of them who is reasonably on top and can explain it to you?

I went to her directly and she screamed in my face and even shoved me out if her room. My friends are supportive but they went in to the exam hopeless luckily for them the offence of fraud popped up in the exam, and they were saved. I'm not demanding, but it's unacceptable and her behaviour towards student is also unacceptable. When I say she screams at people I mean she literally does!
If someone can help me
With section 63 and whether it is a specific intent, then I will appreciate it immensely. It's not in any textbook. I've been on law trove and everything. Have been through so many books still can't find the answer
I went to her directly and she screamed in my face and even shoved me out if her room. My friends are supportive but they went in to the exam hopeless luckily for them the offence of fraud popped up in the exam, and they were saved. I'm not demanding, but it's unacceptable and her behaviour towards student is also unacceptable. When I say she screams at people I mean she literally does!

Then talk to both the disability section at the Uni who should be assisting you and the student rep. Consider making a complaint about her behaviour and you should talk to the student rep.
Then talk to both the disability section at the Uni who should be assisting you and the student rep. Consider making a complaint about her behaviour and you should talk to the student rep.

Thank you. I will be making a complaint.
Reply 15
I did law and at times had hopeless lecturers who gave out rubbish handouts. I just relied on good text books, articles and past questions/exams. Would you even want this persons help if they are that bad and rude? you could maybe make a formal complaint to your course director? - your academic adviser might be worth speaking to though. however I'm not sure what kind of help you are wanting - lecturers don't do 1:1 help, the most I've had is a few emails. University is very different to school. Also about how much uni fees are - the increase in fees doesn't mean they are now paid more.
Just to make it clear I believe she is allowed to refuse to help and we only have your version. I dont think she is entitled to shout at you though.
ps I told you what you need to look for. If its present its specific intent and if not then one of basic intent.
At my uni, we can get 1-1 sessions if we are struggling, and emails are always promptly responded to. I am student rep for my course and issues like the ones mentioned here are dealt with in sessions with reps and lecturers present.
You have had many replies asking you for more information so that we can understand your situation properly. Instead of making use of those, you have decided to comment extensively on the inadequacy of your university lecturers. We are trying to help you: let us.
Original post by 04MR17
You have had many replies asking you for more information so that we can understand your situation properly. Instead of making use of those, you have decided to comment extensively on the inadequacy of your university lecturers. We are trying to help you: let us.

If you can help me with section 63 and whether it is a specific intent, then I will appreciate it immensely. It's not in any textbook. I've been on law trove and everything. Have been through so many books still can't find the answer. This is my main concern

Quick Reply

Latest