The Student Room Group

Is £36 per night expensive?

I booked a B and B in Edinburgh for £36 per night, which was the cheapest and most descent basic accommodation I could find, including breakfast.

I feel like I've wasted my money, I spent £504 for 14 nights. For that, I could have maybe gone abroad, upgraded my PC, etc.

Is it cheap? Should I feel ok?
Reply 1
It is 14 nights after all, and it's right in the middle of town, just off the Royal mile.
Reply 2
And it's peak season, so lots of tourists come for the Edinburgh festivals
Reply 3
Omg, I can't get a refund too, it's non refundable.

Should I just suck it up and enjoy myself and get my money's worth?
Reply 4
Original post by Thuthebough
Omg, I can't get a refund too, it's non refundable.

Should I just suck it up and enjoy myself and get my money's worth?

It's non refundable so that's all you can really do. Just enjoy yourself
I think you should just enjoy yourself. Yes, it's a lot of money, but for a good place at peak time £34 a night is good. I always feel awful after spending money on myself, so I know how you feel. Every penny feels kinda like a waste, even if you spent it on something awesome. There'll always be something else you could've spent your money on, but you're gonna go somewhere cool and do some stuff you'll always remember so that's something right? A PC upgrade would be pretty cool, but you'd only enjoy that for so long. At least you'll have two weeks worth of memories to keep. You should get out and see some shows and just be a tourist. See and try new things! It's not like you can refund it now anyway, so you may as well get your money's worth.
Reply 6
That's extremely good value, especially for somewhere like the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. I'd be pretty happy about that deal myself.
Any second thoughts are something you probably should've considered before booking the room - but hindsight is a wonderful thing and nobody has it.
If you've already paid for it, and you can't get a refund, then you should go and enjoy it. Like you say, Edinburgh has some great festivals over the summer and plenty of culture otherwise. At the very least it'll be a holiday, and everybody always needs a holiday. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Although for the record, you probably could've rented out a flat for less than £100 a week. Would've saved some money for sure. People do short term lets pretty cheap
Reply 8
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I think you should just enjoy yourself. Yes, it's a lot of money, but for a good place at peak time £34 a night is good. I always feel awful after spending money on myself, so I know how you feel. Every penny feels kinda like a waste, even if you spent it on something awesome. There'll always be something else you could've spent your money on, but you're gonna go somewhere cool and do some stuff you'll always remember so that's something right? A PC upgrade would be pretty cool, but you'd only enjoy that for so long. At least you'll have two weeks worth of memories to keep. You should get out and see some shows and just be a tourist. See and try new things! It's not like you can refund it now anyway, so you may as well get your money's worth.

Thank you honey, I feel a bit better now after reading this x
Reply 9
Original post by Devify
Although for the record, you probably could've rented out a flat for less than £100 a week. Would've saved some money for sure. People do short term lets pretty cheap

You mean something like Airbnb? That's just too stressful
I consider that ridiculously cheap so good bargain.
Reply 11
all depends on how much you're making. if you make decent money then its fairly cheap, if you're broke af then yeah its hella expensive.

if you compare it to the fact that some hotels charge around £100-£500 a night (the really fancy ones of course) then yeah £36 is not so bad.

bottom line is its pretty sad that these are the 'cheapest' places. most people just want a bed in a separate room to sleep in. they don't need the room service, they don't need the sofas, heck some people don't even need the tv - just a bed and en-suite so i wish someone could work on creating hotels like this that only charge like £10 a day!

Quick Reply

Latest