The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Clearing help.

Hi, i have only just completed my application for uni on ucas (after ucas extra etc) so automatically in clearing,i was wondering weather i can start ringing up unis now instead of wait for results day to get an offer, has anyone ever received an offer without their a levels results yet?
Reply 1
Original post by abiridgy
Hi, i have only just completed my application for uni on ucas (after ucas extra etc) so automatically in clearing,i was wondering weather i can start ringing up unis now instead of wait for results day to get an offer, has anyone ever received an offer without their a levels results yet?

You won't get an offer without your results.

You should start looking at unis and courses, so that you know what kind of thing you want to do if it's in Clearing. Create a shortlist of places you'd like to go. Think about what you want - do you want to be in a big city, by the sea, or near home? Do you want to study certain modules and don't care about location as long as you get to do that? Can you actually get to your chosen unis when you need to move all your stuff at the start of the year?
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Hi :smile:
Our clearing application have already started. Ring our clearing hotline 0800 0483 334 to speak to someone to help your further. The full list of courses available come out on the 18th August which is results days. Here is our clearing website too so you can have a look through that too :smile: http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/clearing/
Good luck with it all!
Emily
Student ambassador
Original post by Kingston University
Hi :smile:
Our clearing application have already started. Ring our clearing hotline 0800 0483 334 to speak to someone to help your further. The full list of courses available come out on the 18th August which is results days. Here is our clearing website too so you can have a look through that too :smile: http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/clearing/
Good luck with it all!
Emily
Student ambassador

Hi,

I will not meet my offer for the Science Foundation Year. This was my firm choice but I will not meet my offer.

Would I still be able to apply through clearing on results day and how does clearing work? Is it extremely busy and would you have to ring early?

Thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LionKing101
Hi,

I will not meet my offer for the Science Foundation Year. This was my firm choice but I will not meet my offer.

Would I still be able to apply through clearing on results day and how does clearing work? Is it extremely busy and would you have to ring early?

Thank you.

Hi,
If they are offering places on this course you will be able to. Again refer to the number I gave you they will know if this course is offering spaces.
And it will be busy but it is worth a shot :smile:

Emily
Student Ambassador
Hi,
If they are offering places on this course you will be able to. Again refer to the number I gave you they will know if this course is offering spaces.
And it will be busy but it is worth a shot :smile:

Emily
Student Ambassador

Would I still be able to ring even if I am accepted into my insurance choice university? (I do not think I will get accepted into my insurance, but if it occurs, which I highly doubt), does this mean I would have to reject the insurance choice first then phone kingston, or would I still be able to phone Kingston straight away?

Thanks for the information.
Would I still be able to ring even if I am accepted into my insurance choice university? (I do not think I will get accepted into my insurance, but if it occurs, which I highly doubt), does this mean I would have to reject the insurance choice first then phone kingston, or would I still be able to phone Kingston straight away?

Thanks for the information.

Hi,
I am not sure about this, The number I have given you is open now and you can ring them anytime for any questions :smile:
Emily
Student ambassador
Hi,
I am not sure about this, The number I have given you is open now and you can ring them anytime for any questions :smile:
Emily
Student ambassador

Does clearing apply for a first come, first serve basis?

For example: as clearing opens early on results day, would priority be given to someone who phones up earlier, rather than someone who phones later.

Also, would you need a clearing number? How would you receive a clearing number? Is this updated on UCAS or directly via. telephone.

Thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)

For example: as clearing opens early on results day, would priority be given to someone who phones up earlier, rather than someone who phones later.

Also, would you need a clearing number? How would you receive a clearing number? Is this updated on UCAS or directly via. telephone.

Thank you.

Hi,
Yes I believe it is first come first served though I will double check for you :smile: I would assume a number would come up on UCAS but again contacting the clearing helpline will help as they will know a lot more about what happens. I hope it all goes well for you :smile:Emily
Student ambassador
Reply 9

Thank you.

You get your Clearing number on UCAS Track.

You can't add a Clearing choice until the afternoon, so it isn't first come first served. It's a great idea to take your time over the decision - you're spending 3 years there so it needs to be right for you.
Original post by Juno

You can't add a Clearing choice until the afternoon, so it isn't first come first served. It's a great idea to take your time over the decision - you're spending 3 years there so it needs to be right for you.

Is there an exact time when can you add a clearing choice? For example: 12:00pm?

What happens once you receive your results? Can you not phone straight away, or do you have to wait for a clearing number before you can phone?
Original post by Juno

I was looking on the UCAS website:

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/results/no-offers-use-clearing

It states: (in italics below)

Ask if they'd accept you they might reconsider you (maybe for the same course) even if you applied to them earlier in the year.

Get informal offers over the phone maybe from a variety of universities and colleges then decide which one you want to accept.

So, if I was still rejected, could I phone them as soon as I have my results and see if they will still consider me?
Original post by Juno

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15485-introduction-to-clearing

I just checked this website. It says you can add a clearing choice at 5pm?

Does this mean that you can only phone after 5pm?

What happens if you are accepted into your insurance choice, but want to get released into clearing and you do not get accepted by clearing? Does this mean you have no offers or can you still go back to your insurance choice?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15485-introduction-to-clearing

I just checked this website. It says you can add a clearing choice at 5pm?

Does this mean that you can only phone after 5pm?

What happens if you are accepted into your insurance choice, but want to get released into clearing and you do not get accepted by clearing? Does this mean you have no offers or can you still go back to your insurance choice?

I'm not sure if it is 5pm this year, I think I heard it was earlier but I really can't remember. But if it is 5pm, that's the time you go on the ucas website and click all the buttons. You ideally would have spoken to the uni earlier - you can speak to several unis and think about it.
They changed it to 5pm to give people thinking time. Some applicants were panicking, adding the first thing they could find, and being done by 9:05. Then they were regretting it later!

Once you've been released into Clearing, you've lost your insurance choice. It's like fishing - you caught a fish but let it go to see if you could get a bigger one. You can then try to catch the insurance fish again, but it might have swam off and been caught by someone else. There's no guarantee it's still in the pond.
Original post by Juno
I'm not sure if it is 5pm this year, I think I heard it was earlier but I really can't remember. But if it is 5pm, that's the time you go on the ucas website and click all the buttons. You ideally would have spoken to the uni earlier - you can speak to several unis and think about it.
They changed it to 5pm to give people thinking time. Some applicants were panicking, adding the first thing they could find, and being done by 9:05. Then they were regretting it later!

Once you've been released into Clearing, you've lost your insurance choice. It's like fishing - you caught a fish but let it go to see if you could get a bigger one. You can then try to catch the insurance fish again, but it might have swam off and been caught by someone else. There's no guarantee it's still in the pond.

Does this mean universities cannot accept you until you have a clearing number?

Could you not phone earlier to see if they could offer a place, and then use the clearing number later in the evening?
Reply 15
Does this mean universities cannot accept you until you have a clearing number?

Could you not phone earlier to see if they could offer a place, and then use the clearing number later in the evening?

I've already said you need to speak to unis earlier in the day. You don't seem to be reading my posts, and I have better things to do than post the same thing over and over again because I'm being bombarded with questions by an ungrateful applicant.
Original post by Juno
I've already said you need to speak to unis earlier in the day. You don't seem to be reading my posts, and I have better things to do than post the same thing over and over again because I'm being bombarded with questions by an ungrateful applicant.

I am sorry.

Thanks for the previous information. I do appreciate the time you have taken to answer these questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
I am sorry.

Thanks for the previous information. I do appreciate the time you have taken to answer these questions.

^dont worry, I find it very confusing too aha. I've asked the same question hundreds of times and it's only just stuck! Basically once you've got your results, ring unis up that morning to see if they have places, if they want you they'll tell you to add them to clearing on ucas track, but you can only do this part at 5( your place is still secured because they have a list) and then at 5 you wait for them to confirm your place(based on wether your results are correct)
^dont worry, I find it very confusing too aha. I've asked the same question hundreds of times and it's only just stuck! Basically once you've got your results, ring unis up that morning to see if they have places, if they want you they'll tell you to add them to clearing on ucas track, but you can only do this part at 5( your place is still secured because they have a list) and then at 5 you wait for them to confirm your place(based on wether your results are correct)

Ah, I understand now, thank you. This makes sense now.

Thanks to everyone for their replies on this thread.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
I am sorry.

You need to get your results, and also need to check Track to see you've been rejected. You need to do both of these - you can't just check Track and therefore know you've missed your offer, because you need to tell the new unis what grade you got (and "I missed by ABB offer" isn't enough). You can't just get your results, because unis can sometimes accept people with lower grades.
If you're in Clearing, then Track will update to show this and your Clearing number will be displayed. This will display as soon as your firm and insurance have confirmed they're rejecting you - this can take a while because the unis have to check your results, see if they can accept you, and then tell UCAS.

Unis can accept you if you miss the grades. Because of this, they check all applications individually. So if a uni is your firm or insurance and you are rejected, they don't want you. You can try to apply through Clearing, but you're just wasting your own time. They will not accept you for the same course.
There is a teeny possibility they will accept you for a different course - but if the courses are very similar, they usually would ask you if you will change when rejecting you. If they haven't offered you a changed course then you can try to apply for a different course.However, remember that you will be studying the new course. Don't accept a course just for the uni - you need to actually want to study flower arranging. Some people choose a different course in the hope that they will be able to change to the old course when they arrive - this isn't guaranteed, and relies on someone on the old course dropping out. Someone might not drop out, or they might not drop out til summer when it's too late to change. Do not rely on this.

You have until 5pm to get everything sorted if you want to do it on the first day - but there are loads of vacancies that don't go that quickly, and Clearing is actually open until September. You can phone as many unis as you like. It's best to draw up a shortlist and work through it before making any decisions - some people get too excited, and just go for the first uni that offers them a place. If a uni or course doesn't feel right then don't accept it.
Remember that courses will vary at different unis. So even if you're applying for the same course name, the modules might be different. Check.
It might be helpful to phone your least favourite first. This way, you can pracitse answering questions and get your nerves out of the way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending