The Student Room Group

Uni courses in Clearing revealed for 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by PQ
UK universities know and understand qualifications from other countries - they're still only likely to admit you if you have the qualifications that are required to do well on the course concerned.

Only universities themselves can comment on whether your qualifications would be suitable - start putting together your UCAS application (you will NEED a reference and a personal statement) and contact universities you're interested in informally to ask about your chances of a place.

Sorry to bother you again :smile:, I just wondering if you could answer a quick question, let's assume for a second that I might not get an offer from the university, and I decide to re-apply for the next year, can I use the same personal statement and the same reference, for the application, or I need to start over again?
If a course is in clearing now, is that university more likely to accept more people outside the entry requirements too?
Original post by particlestudent
If a course is in clearing now, is that university more likely to accept more people outside the entry requirements too?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4224440&p=66575434#post66575434
Original post by h8 grapes
if i apply through clearing will i need the certificates of my qualifications or will unis be able to see through ucas all my details? i lost my gcse certificates when i was moving to qatar and now im moving back so am worried about this.

During clearing, universities can see your complete Ucas application, but this is a separate issue to accepting your GCSEs without seeing the certificates. Verifying your qualifications by seeing the certificates is a process some universities will do at registration and some will ask to see a scan by email. Not having your certificates won't stop you getting offers, but it could prevent you from taking up the place, so I'd suggest getting the process to get replacements started now.
Reply 224
Is the courses they have on clearing be the ones available for adjustment or will the latter be different
Original post by Pato1
Is the courses they have on clearing be the ones available for adjustment or will the latter be different

They may be different. There is no central list of courses in Adjustment.
Original post by jneill
They may be different. There is no central list of courses in Adjustment.

For Adjustment there are no advertised 'vacancies' - you just phone Universities and see it they are interested in you.
Sussex says "3 A-Levels in any subject" without specifying the actual desired grades, what does that suggest?
Original post by ludd-sama
Sussex says "3 A-Levels in any subject" without specifying the actual desired grades, what does that suggest?

Have they given you a UCAS points tariff target?
Original post by jneill
Have they given you a UCAS points tariff target?

not from what I can see
Scottish Unis in Clearing currently - courses are few and far between which was expected - worth a look though :smile:

http://search.ucas.com/

Abertay Uni
University of Dundee
Edinburgh Napier University
University of Glasgow
Glasgow Caledonian University
The Glasgow School of Art
University of the Highlands and Islands
Queen Margaret University
Robert Gordon University
SAE Institute
The University of Stirling
The University of Strathclyde
The University of West Scotland
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jumph96
Sorry to bother you again :smile:, I just wondering if you could answer a quick question, let's assume for a second that I might not get an offer from the university, and I decide to re-apply for the next year, can I use the same personal statement and the same reference, for the application, or I need to start over again?

I was interested in this too, like if I choose not to go this year after applying and accepting and unconditional would I be able to still use same reference when applying to different Unis the next year as it would be hassle going back to school just for another reference
Yes you can. But ...

If you didnt get any offers with that PS, common sense tells you it wasn't the best. So rewrite it completely. You also need to include updates in any revised PS - ie. what you are doing for a Gap Year, and what you hope to get out of it that is relevant to your intended course.

Your teacher or whoever still has to enter your reference on the new application. You cant press a button and get the existing one applied to it. They can use the same wording - but you should ask them to please update it with a comment on your achieved grades and your intended Gap Year.
Just great, 7 days left until results day. :sigh:

:rip:
if i want to study something else will i need to write a new personal statement? what if i use the same words but replace some things with the stuff related to my new course? will that be plagiarism even though its still my work?
Original post by h8 grapes
if i want to study something else will i need to write a new personal statement? what if i use the same words but replace some things with the stuff related to my new course? will that be plagiarism even though its still my work?

You should put together a brief new PS (bullet points is fine) to offer to send or to help you talk about why you're applying to the new course (what you are interested in, what you've enjoyed learning about so far, what you've found out about the subject in your own time).
Do the majority of universities conduct phone interviews when you enquire about a place in clearing? If so, how important are they? I'm worried that with the stress of results combined with the stress of ending up clearing would mean I'd be a bit of a mess on the phone so I really doubt I'd manage to perform well :frown:
Original post by ryanroks1
Do the majority of universities conduct phone interviews when you enquire about a place in clearing? If so, how important are they? I'm worried that with the stress of results combined with the stress of ending up clearing would mean I'd be a bit of a mess on the phone so I really doubt I'd manage to perform well :frown:

It depends entirely on the university and the course concerned.

Don't worry too much though - if you can manage not to sob down the phone you'll be fine (and even if you do sob down the phone most universities are going to be sympathetic - although if you're like me then sympathy makes the sobbing get worse!).
How accurate is this? Because the Uni of Glasgow has every single course in clearing which is impossible..
Original post by toulouseexpress
How accurate is this? Because the Uni of Glasgow has every single course in clearing which is impossible..

It's accurate for Scottish universities - although the lists might be revised slightly next week when universities have the A level results.

Glasgow isn't listing Accountancy,, Dentistry, Law, Medicine, Nursing teacher training and a bunch of other courses. Scottish universities have their number of students from Scotland strictly controlled but can get additional income by taking students from the rest of the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending