The Student Room Group

Foods to eat to lose weight. Struggling!

I need some help with good foods to help me lose weight as I am currentley in the overweight category.

I thought I eat a healthy and wholefood diet but this fat is not bugding.

I am really unsure why???

UPDATE

Has also been said further down..

I don't eat meat. I am vegan.

I consider myself very active.

My phone isn't good enough for my fitness pal and I rarely eat processed food so in order to constantly count calories every week it would be very time consuming.

I counted calories for a week and am eating below my TDEE.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Could you elaborate a little more on your previous diet and your current diet? It'd help to include quantities, even qualitatively.
Original post by pandaseattoast
I need some help with good foods to help me lose weight as I am currentley in the overweight category.

As long as you are eating 500 calories less than your daily requirement you will lose weight. Some foods can speed up weight loss and have a more beneficial effect on your body. A wholefood diet is pretty good, maker sure you incoporate protein and make sure you count the calories. You should also try working out, maybe doing weights or cardio.
(advice from an ex fat kid)
Plant based foods are usually good for Weightloss so potatoes,sweet potatoes,whole grain rice and pasta
I'd avoid dairy products such as cheese completely and if any at all have some white meat
Reply 4
It's more about the amount of calories you consume as well as doing exercise. Download my fitness app or something similar and record every single thing you eat for a few days. It's nice because you can find items by barcodes too.

Then you'll be able to see what's the problem with the food you eat. You may just be eating too much or maybe something has way more calories than you thought.

Also make sure that you also do some exercises too
Ive been vegan for a year and was vegetarian two years before that.
My calorie intake is roughly 1700-2000 per day. I dont always count them as I find it difficult and time consuming to do it accurately.
I cycle each day and go climbing about twice a week. Im active most days.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ive been vegan for a year and was vegetarian two years before that.
My calorie intake is roughly 1700-2000 per day. I dont always count them as I find it difficult and time consuming to do it accurately.
I cycle each day and go climbing about twice a week. Im active most days.

then it's much much better to measure your body fat % than base it all on weight since muscle is more dense than fat
Breakfast is always porridge. Sometimes with a plant based milk. And fruit. But then other meals can completely vary.

Lunch can be pasta in tomato sauce. Snacking with lots of fruit or salad. Occasionally have hummus but I limit this.

I eat a lot of rice mixed with veg aswell.
dust
Breakfast is always porridge. Sometimes with a plant based milk. And fruit. But then other meals can completely vary.

Lunch can be pasta in tomato sauce. Snacking with lots of fruit or salad. Occasionally have hummus but I limit this.

I eat a lot of rice mixed with veg aswell.

to be honest your eating healthy already. not sure you can change much other then dieting or doing more exercise that would effect you.
The types of food you eat don't matter if we're talking about strictly weight loss and not overall health, wellbeing and satiety . It's the amount of calories you eat. You need to eat less than your TDEE a day (google TDEE calculator) to lose weight, if you eat 500 less you'll lose approximately 1lb per week (1lb of fat =3500/ 7 days = 500 calories a day).

if you're not willing to count calories properly then you're out of luck as you have no way of knowing if you're in a deficit (eating less than your TDEE) or not. Some people can get away with just reducing portion sizes, but depending on your TDEE your window of calories may be too small to just eyeball it and guess. Eyeballing it works better for men, particularly large men as they require more calories to sustain themselves so have a higher TDEE, this means they have more room for error.
If you eat low calorie foods you can eat lots of it without many calories mostly plant based vegan foods eg lentils , veggies , chickpeas , oats ... Are all really good as you will feel full and can have huge portions for few calories :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hollyht
If you eat low calorie foods you can eat lots of it without many calories mostly plant based vegan foods eg lentils , veggies , chickpeas , oats ... Are all really good as you will feel full and can have huge portions for few calories :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll agree with lentils being low calorie and many veg being low calorie. But chickpeas and oats certainly aren't! 100g of oats is 389 cals, and chickpeas 100g is 364 calories they definite aren't few calories for a large portion. 100grams is barely anything if you're talking about large portions. You could have twice as much weight in chicken breast for less calories.
Original post by SophieSmall
I'll agree with lentils being low calorie and many veg being low calorie. But chickpeas and oats certainly aren't! 100g of oats is 389 cals, and chickpeas 100g is 364 calories they definite aren't few calories for a large portion. 100grams is barely anything if you're talking about large portions. You could have twice as much weight in chicken breast for less calories.

Hmm suppose although in comparison to some fatty things they still are but I would generally recommend bulking them up with veggies ( chickpeas ) or oats like breakfast oats if you add almond milk ( v low calorie for a milk like 12 cal per 100 ml ) it makes a few oats go a long way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hollyht
Hmm suppose although in comparison to some fatty things they still are but I would generally recommend bulking them up with veggies ( chickpeas ) or oats like breakfast oats if you add almond milk ( v low calorie for a milk like 12 cal per 100 ml ) it makes a few oats go a long way

Posted from TSR Mobile

eh, when I'm losing weight i avoid oats because of the high calorie content. And I i find then leave me hungry within half an hour anyway.
I will say stay away from starchy carbs such as bread rice etc. Replace them with vegetable carbs such as brocolli, sweat potato etcs..

Also if keep your food portion small and eat after every 3 - 4 hours. Your meals shouldn't mainly consist of protein, carbs and fats (Healthy fats).

For protein have chicken breast or fish in particular white fish such as tilapia. Fry it using olive oil as these are healthy fats. If you find you are still hungry you can snack on almonds and other sort of nuts but keep it moderate.

As stated in previous post make sure you work out how much calories you are burning every day.What you need to work out is your Total daily energy expenditure (TDEE).

To do this you do :
(males 10 x weight (kg) + 6.25 x height (cm) - 5 x age (years) +5)
(females 10 x weight (kg) + 6.25 x height (cm) - 5 x age (years) - 161)

You need to decide your activity level

sedentary - Don't do any exercise, don't move often. Your job involves sitting at a desk. Multiply your TDEE by 1.2

Light Activity - You exercise a bit. 30 minutes of light exercise would count. Nothing too strenuous. Multiply your TDEE by 1.375

Moderate Activity - You exercise for an hour and the exercise is quite intense. Multiply your TDEE by 1.55

Very Active - You exercise for an hour or more, and the exercise is very intense. Multiply your TDEE by 1.725.

Once you know how much calories you losing per day, use the app fitness pal to track how calories you consume and make sure you eat less that you lose.
Original post by SophieSmall
chickpeas 100g is 364 calories they definite aren't few calories for a large portion

Dry, raw chickpeas are pretty high in calories but if you get a can of say, Tesco's chickpeas in water and drain all of them, 120g (ie half the can, they're sold in cans of 400g with water and 240 drained) is about 150-160 calories. So yeah, no. Plus, for a vegetarian, chickpeas and kidney beans are an actual necessity so 150 calories isn't exactly a struggle considering the average meal should be what, 400 calories? 500?
Reply 17

I'm not sure what you currently eat or how much, but it may be worth counting your calories. Perhaps you are eating lots of wholesome healthy foods, but in too large quantities. My family has the same problem - both parents severely overweight and don't understand why and refuse to count their calories. Foods which can be traps like this are things like nuts, avocados, olive oil, feta cheese, peanut butter, cereals, greek yoghurt, lean meat and so on. All healthy foods but also easy to over-do.

When I was dieting (which I need to start again, I'm overweight too :frown: ) I managed to discover some foods which literally kept me going because of how surprisingly low they were in calories. I started having a lot of these instead of higher calorie options.

Some examples:

Rice instead of pasta
Marmite instead of peanut butter
Skimmed milk [don't listen to the purists, if you drink a lot of tea this will make a huge calorie reduction]
Options hot chocolate - for when I really needed sugar and/or chocolate
Quorn or pulses like chickpeas and lentils instead of meat (listen to Mo Farah! I particularly like the fake chicken and fake mince meat. The sausages are crap though)
Rice snaps / corn flakes instead of heavier cereal like Muesli - although make sure you still get some fibre in your diet.

Another thing I did, which I wouldn't necessarily recommend but am just throwing out there, is ate a lot of prepared food. Things out of packets basically, as it made it so much easier to control my portion sizes and understand exactly how much I was eating. This isn't great long-term, because fresh food is so much better for you, but initially I find it can be quite a big help to do this. Maybe combine this with fresh food rather than ready meals for every meal.

Anyway these are just the things which have helped me in the past
(edited 7 years ago)

Vegetarian. It works for me anyway.
I've heard that Kale is really good for losing weight because it's very low cal 👍🏼 I've tried and it's also really nice with mince meat and spices ❤️😉

Quick Reply