The Student Room Group

How does being concerned about spread of Islam in the West make someone far-right?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingBradly
Which views of her's are far-right?

I think I might have confused her with someone else, or maybe not. I recall she said that "ISIS will only come to an end if we keep bombing Syria" or something similar, but I tried finding those comments now and I couldn't.
Reply 101
Original post by Good bloke
No matter what you think you know about him, that video does not support your assertion that he holds those views for religious reasons.
It is unusual to find a religionist with "strongly held, personal views" that are not based to some extent on their religious beliefs. Especially if those views are at odds with the expert consensus.
Original post by oShahpo
I think I might have confused her with someone else, or maybe not. I recall she said that "ISIS will only come to an end if we keep bombing Syria" or something similar, but I tried finding those comments now and I couldn't.

I can't imagine her saying that.
I can't imagine her saying that.

Must have confused her with someone else then, trying to remember who.
Original post by QE2
It is unusual to find a religionist with "strongly held, personal views" that are not based to some extent on their religious beliefs. Especially if those views are at odds with the expert consensus.

Yes, but that is true (and I did say that Brown may well hold his views for religious reasons) but isn't my point. What he claimed in his post simply isn't supported by the evidence he presented. What Brown says in the video is nothing like what he claimed Brown said.
Because apparently it's left-wing to (rightly) criticise all those guilty of misogyny and hating towards gays.....unless the person guilty of it happens to come from a particular group, in which case criticism of them must be shut down :rolleyes:
Original post by oShahpo
Must have confused her with someone else then, trying to remember who.

Pamella Geller?
Pamella Geller?

Possibly, or it could be that mad republican blonde lady who Paxman interviewed a while back, can't remember her name.
Original post by Damien96
The longer this type of reaction to genuine concerns happens, the more likely the actual far right will take hold.

tbh the far right is better for the West than islam.
Original post by offhegoes
Do you expect Irish people to continually apologise for sectarian violence? Do you expect Christians across USA to continually condemn those who attack abortion doctors? Do you expect Buddhists to continually apologise for Buddhist monks in Tibet murdering men, women and children?

Where did you hear that from? Did the Chinese govt say that or something?? LOL, I'm sure that it is the Chinese govt who are killing innocent Tibetans in Tibet.
So let me get this straight.

Am I correct in thinking that although I support decriminalising drugs; opening drug rehabilitation centres; getting rid of the legal benefits of marriage entirely (so no one is discriminated against); freedom of speech; secularism; publicly funded healthcare, schools, and university; and a welfare system, I'm actually far-right because I have the consistancy to dislike all kinds of traditionalist ultra-conservatism, and don't make an exception for Islam?
Could someone explain how this works? Does far-right just mean "anti-Islam"?

It's precisely because I'm a humanist social democrat that I oppose the fascism and violence of Islam. If anything, those on the far right should find they have much in common with Islamic doctrines.
Original post by AlexanderHam
It's precisely because I'm a humanist social democrat that I oppose the fascism and violence of Islam. If anything, those on the far right should find they have much in common with Islamic doctrines.

Exactly. People like @Bornblue actually have far more in common with the far-right than we do, given the fact that they actively defend or even support a far-right ideology, while we spend a lot of time denouncing it.

Exactly. People like @Bornblue actually have far more in common with the far-right than we do, given the fact that they actively defend or even support a far-right ideology, while we spend a lot of time denouncing it.

Indeed. Both Islamists and the far right, appear to have much in common...

"Islamism and the Far-Right: Two sides of the same coin"

" The far-Right and Islamists have similar ideologies, characteristics, and aims. Both rely on religion. Both use a language of hate and are extremely xenophobic, misogynist, homophobic, and anti-Semitic. Both rely on indiscriminate violence and terrorism to intimidate the population at large. They are dogmatic and punish free thinkers and dissenters. They use threats and scaremongering to push forward their agenda. Both are vehemently anti-working class and the Left. They believe in the superiority of their views and culture and deal harshly with anyone who transgresses… The world they have in mind is equally bleak, segregated, hateful and inhuman."

http://ex-muslim.org.uk/2013/03/cemb-opposes-islamism-and-the-far-right-two-sides-of-one-coin/

I'd recommend a good book to both of you: Them by Jon Ronson. Essentially it's about how people like Abu Hamza and his ilk have basically the exact same view of the world as Neo Nazis like David Duke. Which makes sense as people like leaders of extremist Islamist MPAC (who Momentum have a working relationship with yet are so extreme and open about their Jew-hating that even the NUS no-platformed them!) regularly tweet stuff by David Duke like Holocaust denial stuff etc. Their view amounts to thejewsdidthis.gif, shared by Islamists and Nazis alike. Yet the extreme left in this country at the moment (like Momentum) will support one lot who espouse this and not the other because they're dumb like that.*
(edited 7 years ago)
quite ironic seeing as how many fundamental islamists are what would be described as right wing.
Original post by Chakede
quite ironic seeing as how many fundamental islamists are what would be described as right wing.

Faaar-right wing, and ultra-conservative.

I think it's pretty valid to claim that far-right implies anti-Islam .
far-right => anti-Islam
Now far-right doesn't just mean anti-Islam . They are against immigrants in general (especially the ones with an 'inferior' nationality such as Romanians for Nigel Farage , while Germans are fine as neighbors ) .

However anti-Islam DOES NOT IMPLY far-right . It means you are a sensible Westerner!
Islam is an ideology , anti-Islam the opposition to that ideology . My opinion :Anyone who is in favour of progress (and is sensible) would be against Islam (since the whole ideology refers to a backward society ) .

Anti-Islam doesn't mean you are against muslims as citizents of Western countries . For me it means that I want them to change and adjust to our societies . Back laws against Islam (not against muslims) ; minimise faith schools ( do not fund them at least !), try to distribute them uniformly in your country , do not fund any religious institution (whatever that is) .

Of course Islam is a problem but far-right is not the solution. They seem to make more sense , because they provide a solution to that problem (a problem that more liberal parties ignore) but that doesn't mean they won't continue their plans ; build up walls , be against immigrants .
Original post by Vesniep
I think it's pretty valid to claim that far-right implies anti-Islam .
far-right => anti-Islam
Now far-right doesn't just mean anti-Islam . They are against immigrants in general (especially the ones with an 'inferior' nationality such as Romanians for Nigel Farage , while Germans are fine as neighbors ) .

However anti-Islam DOES NOT IMPLY far-right . It means you are a sensible Westerner!
Islam is an ideology , anti-Islam the opposition to that ideology . My opinion :Anyone who is in favour of progress (and is sensible) would be against Islam (since the whole ideology refers to a backward society ) .

Anti-Islam doesn't mean you are against muslims as citizents of Western countries . For me it means that I want them to change and adjust to our societies . Back laws against Islam (not against muslims) ; minimise faith schools ( do not fund them at least !), try to distribute them uniformly in your country , do not fund any religious institution (whatever that is) .

Of course Islam is a problem but far-right is not the solution. They seem to make more sense , because they provide a solution to that problem (a problem that more liberal parties ignore) but that doesn't mean they won't continue their plans ; build up walls , be against immigrants .

I agree.
So let me get this straight.

Am I correct in thinking that although I support decriminalising drugs; opening drug rehabilitation centres; getting rid of the legal benefits of marriage entirely (so no one is discriminated against); freedom of speech; secularism; publicly funded healthcare, schools, and university; and a welfare system, I'm actually far-right because I have the consistancy to dislike all kinds of traditionalist ultra-conservatism, and don't make an exception for Islam?

As long as you're able to distinguish between Islam (the disturbing and archaic religion) and Muslims (ordinary people who shouldn't be treated differently to you or me) then you're golden.

I don't support a far-right ideology and never have. The ideology of Islam, like the ideologies of both Christianity and Judaism are all very right wing. Some far right Christians shoot up abortion clinics, I don't blame ordinary peaceful Christians and nor should I.

However I will never accept ordinary Muslims who've done nothing wrong being blamed for or punished for the acts of despicable terrorists. That's where we differ.

One of the great pulls for young Muslims into the arms of extremists is a feeling that they are not wanted or trusted here and that's down to people like you.

By all means throw the book at the disgusting terrorists, but suggesting that we should ban 1.6 billion people from a country because of the acts of a few terrorists, really is fascism in action.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending