The Student Room Group

A levels vs Access to HE science.

Hey guys,

I'm currently waiting to do an access to HE science course. I am undecided whether to do A levels or the course. I've read some posts that say A levels are easier and some that say the Access is easier. So obviously to better my chances I would prefer to take the path of least resistance.

If I were to pick A levels it would be Biology/Chem and something else to fill up the space.

The requirements for the uni I want to go to are "Strong Science component required. Pass Access to HE Diploma with 45 credits at level 3 of which 30 level 3 credits must be at Distinction." or AAB to ABB

I'd like to hear from someone who has done both A levels and an access and which is harder. As I did A levels prior and was too immature and ended up doing badly.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

A levels are not easier. I don't think Access courses are easy either, but A levels are probably more stressful because there are so many more exams. If you perform better in exams than coursework then maybe A levels are the way to go, if not go for an Access course.

You almost certainly won't find anyone who has done both A levels and an Access course, or if you do, they did A levels a long time ago or didn't try every hard and so can't fairly judge the relative difficulty of each course. Personally I would do an Access course because it takes less time, they seem to be more structured (so you know exactly what you're supposed to be learning and when), and they are much cheaper.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
A levels are not easier. I don't think Access courses are easy either, but A levels are probably more stressful because there are so many more exams. If you perform better in exams than coursework then maybe A levels are the way to go, if not go for an Access course.

You almost certainly won't find anyone who has done both A levels and an Access course, or if you do, they did A levels a long time ago or didn't try every hard and so can't fairly judge the relative difficulty of each course. Personally I would do an Access course because it takes less time, they seem to be more structured (so you know exactly what you're supposed to be learning and when), and they are much cheaper.

Well in my case I didn't try very hard when I did A levels, but I didn't forget the difficulty haha
Original post by gelplate
Hey guys,

I'm currently waiting to do an access to HE science course. I am undecided whether to do A levels or the course. I've read some posts that say A levels are easier and some that say the Access is easier. So obviously to better my chances I would prefer to take the path of least resistance.

If I were to pick A levels it would be Biology/Chem and something else to fill up the space.

The requirements for the uni I want to go to are "Strong Science component required. Pass Access to HE Diploma with 45 credits at level 3 of which 30 level 3 credits must be at Distinction." or AAB to ABB

I'd like to hear from someone who has done both A levels and an access and which is harder. As I did A levels prior and was too immature and ended up doing badly.

Thanks.

I did Access (but not A Levels) and I genuinely can't recommend it enough. I do know a few people who've done both and they said Access is tougher. Not because of content, but just because of the sheer volume of work and the speed at which you're expected to go through it. With A Levels, you work through the year then do exams at the end. With Access, you'll have to go through 15 modules from September to July and do an assessment for each one. This means every few weeks you will have to submit an assignment or do an exam then it's onto the next topic. It's a very intense course, but I do think that it prepares students well for university.
Reply 4
Original post by Hamo2509
I did Access (but not A Levels) and I genuinely can't recommend it enough. I do know a few people who've done both and they said Access is tougher. Not because of content, but just because of the sheer volume of work and the speed at which you're expected to go through it. With A Levels, you work through the year then do exams at the end. With Access, you'll have to go through 15 modules from September to July and do an assessment for each one. This means every few weeks you will have to submit an assignment or do an exam then it's onto the next topic. It's a very intense course, but I do think that it prepares students well for university.

What results did you end up with? I need 30 credits at distinction to get into nottingham, I don't know if thats hard or not. I guess it sounds similar to when I was at uni, if the content isn't too hard, i'm pretty used to writing lots of essay's and probably have a few already written I could do. Which access did you do?
What results did you end up with? I need 30 credits at distinction to get into nottingham, I don't know if thats hard or not. I guess it sounds similar to when I was at uni, if the content isn't too hard, i'm pretty used to writing lots of essay's and probably have a few already written I could do. Which access did you do?

I did Business & Management and now I study Finance at uni. I ended up getting a distinction in every unit.
Like I said, the content isn't hard but you have to be very very organised and it's a lot of independent study. The other thing I forgot to add is that you can't re-sit any modules, if you fail you can re-submit essays or re-take the exam but your grade is capped at a Pass. It's the same at university though so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
Reply 6
I did Business & Management and now I study Finance at uni. I ended up getting a distinction in every unit.
Like I said, the content isn't hard but you have to be very very organised and it's a lot of independent study. The other thing I forgot to add is that you can't re-sit any modules, if you fail you can re-submit essays or re-take the exam but your grade is capped at a Pass. It's the same at university though so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I've done a year at uni before, so I guess all I need to worry about is the work load, but i'm quitting my job so will have spare time. How many hours of study/work did you do a day?
I've done a year at uni before, so I guess all I need to worry about is the work load, but i'm quitting my job so will have spare time. How many hours of study/work did you do a day?

I was in college two days a week and usually did two or three full days in the library outside of that, depending on my workload.
I worked nights at the time so I often worked overnight at work when it was quiet.
Reply 8
I was in college two days a week and usually did two or three full days in the library outside of that, depending on my workload.
I worked nights at the time so I often worked overnight at work when it was quiet.

So you had time for part time work? Just preying it doesn't cripple me, want to go to uni so bad!
So you had time for part time work? Just preying it doesn't cripple me, want to go to uni so bad!

Yeah I worked part-time and so did most of my classmates. It is a crazy crazy year where work is flung at you, I think I wrote something like 40 essays during my access course, not to mention seven 3-hour exams. It's so worth it though :biggrin:
Reply 10
Yeah I worked part-time and so did most of my classmates. It is a crazy crazy year where work is flung at you, I think I wrote something like 40 essays during my access course, not to mention seven 3-hour exams. It's so worth it though :biggrin:

Jesus :O I have a big year ahead of me
Jesus :O I have a big year ahead of me

Yep it's a big one, but you could be packing for uni this time next year!
Reply 12

The thought is very exciting, just need to smash out a few essays a week! Also, how much detail does every essay need to get to get a distinction?

Did you complete your degree yet Hamo?
The thought is very exciting, just need to smash out a few essays a week! Also, how much detail does every essay need to get to get a distinction?

Similar to first year undergrad. With every assignment you'll get a set of criteria for a pass, merit, or distinction. For distinction you mostly have to show you have a strong understanding of the topic and that by referencing you've read around the argument and can analyse different viewpoints.
Original post by john2054
Did you complete your degree yet Hamo?

I just finished first year
Reply 16
Similar to first year undergrad. With every assignment you'll get a set of criteria for a pass, merit, or distinction. For distinction you mostly have to show you have a strong understanding of the topic and that by referencing you've read around the argument and can analyse different viewpoints.

Can I pm you one of my essays from uni and see how it compares? also what uni did you end up at :biggrin:
Can I pm you one of my essays from uni and see how it compares? also what uni did you end up at :biggrin:

You certainly can, although I know very little about science. I ended up at Cass Business School, but I received offers from every uni I applied to in the end.
I just finished first year

i just finished my fifth (final), what are your grades like so far?
Original post by john2054
i just finished my fifth (final), what are your grades like so far?

Congrats! I got 1sts in everything except one exam I disastrously failed (I got 4%), which I'm re-sitting in two weeks so fingers crossed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending