The Student Room Group

Who else thinks Uni is unnecessarily expensive ?

It cost in England £9000 for a term and that is reportedly set to rise even higher. By the time people are finishing university and starting their career, they are roughly £50,000 in debt, which for a young person is utterly ridiculous. It seems to me businesses are trying to capitalise on people's educations. What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cap.Henry Avery
It cost in England £9000 for a term and that is reportedly set to rise even higher. By the time people are finishing university and starting their career, they are roughly £50,000 in debt, which for a young person is utterly ridiculous. It seems to me businesses are trying to capitalise on people's educations. What do you think?

£9000 per academic year surely?

currently there's no incentive for unis to bring their fees down below the maximum permitted amount, Nobody wants to be seen as a cheap university and they're currently still able to recruit enough students.
Spending per student is seen as a good thing by ranking table compilers.
probably some harsh market discipline could bring fees down a bit... but even if fees were somehow drastically cut to (for example) £5000 per year, the rest of the students costs would remain fixed.
Original post by Joinedup
£9000 per academic year surely?

currently there's no incentive for unis to bring their fees down below the maximum permitted amount, Nobody wants to be seen as a cheap university and they're currently still able to recruit enough students.
Spending per student is seen as a good thing by ranking table compilers.
probably some harsh market discipline could bring fees down a bit... but even if fees were somehow drastically cut to (for example) £5000 per year, the rest of the students costs would remain fixed.

So you don't think university is expensive? Or you just want to spend a lot of money because it makes you look good.
Its not unnecessarily expensive because the market is willing to pay for it still lol.
I don't think universities are expensive, as in bad value. I just think students can't afford them.

What I mean is that the level of education offered and facilities required make the price tag high (I would point out that private secondary schools often charge far more than £9,000 a year). However, students can barely afford the money it costs. It's a bit of a tricky situation, but I personally don't think we're being ripped off. I do think the government needs to invest more in the education of the general public at degree level. Loans really aren't good enough.
Unis have costs too...honestly I don't think they're too expensive. University in this country is already heavily subsidised, and £9000 is a pretty good deal tbh.
Original post by TheTechN1304
Unis have costs too...honestly I don't think they're too expensive. University in this country is already heavily subsidised, and £9000 is a pretty good deal tbh.

For most people that £9k is effectively paid for by the government upon write off and by higher earners from interest payments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you don't think university is expensive? Or you just want to spend a lot of money because it makes you look good.

It doesn't make sense to think of it as a debt or expense because in reality it is paid back as a tax and only for 30 years. So if after 30 years you owe £200+k it is irrelivant. It has however been suggested that fees negate the graduate premium and the risk to debters is that the government may change the ts and cs without notice, or sell of the debt to a private company.
Original post by monkyvirus
I don't think universities are expensive, as in bad value. I just think students can't afford them.

What I mean is that the level of education offered and facilities required make the price tag high (I would point out that private secondary schools often charge far more than £9,000 a year). However, students can barely afford the money it costs. It's a bit of a tricky situation, but I personally don't think we're being ripped off. I do think the government needs to invest more in the education of the general public at degree level. Loans really aren't good enough.

Ridiculous. They get loans + grants.
I think its expensive for people who cant get loans (like international students who have to pay almost twice the fees) but otherwise in the long run the loans are repayable as u only pay based on your salary and it cancels after 30 years

Posted from TSR Mobile
Other countries provide uni for £1-3000. I don't see why we get overcharged so much. It's not a good deal. And it's been proven recently that because of the high debt, only the very best paid professions actually provide the graduate premium. For everyone else, paying off their debt means that they get the same money as anyone else.

Courses that are not academic should not get degrees. Things like art and music should instead be a practical qualification. And things like lab chemistry too etc.
I went to university when fees were ~£1000/year. My memory is so hazy that I actually think I was given a tuition fee grant and my student loan was simply made up of the 3 years living expenses I borrowed. I have a lot of sympathy for people attending university nowadays, with reports indicating that our HE system is the most expensive in the world. Although it is obviously correct to view the debt as a tax instead, I do think we are approaching the point where certain courses can not provide a positive expected value for the cost they represent. I think students should be more carefully about accepting certain facts without question and should seek to inform themselves before choosing their course of study.

Original post by loooopppyyy

Unless you get a really good career progression, have friends in good places, in the right place at the right time or are really good at negotiating contracts, then lets face it, its highly unlikely you're going to get a wage that pays over the threshold without a degree.

Even national living wage (which was a godsend when it was implemented, don't get me wrong) only equates to £15k a year.....

This is the argument adopted by the people who want to justify charging these fees for a degree but it is wholly inaccurate. A degree is simply a ticket to your first job; shortly after that talent, hard work and drive will be far more valuable than the piece of paper you have. Many graduates will come out and languish just above their graduate starting salaries for years and many non graduates will ascend rapidly if they are good enough. There are plenty of non graduates who are earning silly sums of money in employed positions.
I think £9000 is far too expensive for degrees that have low contact time and/or give you zero employability skills. *The money would be better used for vocational training for a lot of careers or retraining older people who are looking for a career change.
Original post by 1010marina
Other countries provide uni for £1-3000. I don't see why we get overcharged so much. It's not a good deal. And it's been proven recently that because of the high debt, only the very best paid professions actually provide the graduate premium. For everyone else, paying off their debt means that they get the same money as anyone else.

Courses that are not academic should not get degrees. Things like art and music should instead be a practical qualification. And things like lab chemistry too etc.

It's not that we're overcharged, it's due the lack of govt funding for higher education.

"Allowing" universities to charge up to 9k per year is a smokescreen to try and deflect blame, they've had to increase their fees because their funding was cut by the coalition govt.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Only some unis/degress tbh. I'm sorry but media studies at london met is not worth 9k. But from what I've heard at some unis, some degrees subsidize other degrees, like medicine or engineering, so I suppose it's necessary.
Original post by JamesN88
It's not that we're overcharged, it's due the lack of govt funding for higher education.

"Allowing" universities to charge up to 9k per year is a smokescreen to try and deflect blame, they've had to increase their fees because their funding was cut by the coalition govt.

Honestly, i would genuinely be shocked if the full 9k is necessary for the same quality education. Most degrees are simply not worth it, but we all pay for it out of lack of viable options. It's such a colossal waste
Reply 16
I imagine in the majority of cases, if it's not worth it you don't pay it back, and if it is then you do, so there's no problem.

Yep - graduate premium i.e the return on investment for going to uni has been wiped out. Due to the 50k debt + interest.
Original post by difeo
I imagine in the majority of cases, if it's not worth it you don't pay it back, and if it is then you do, so there's no problem.

6th April 2016 to 5th April 2017 £17,495

you think earning just over 17k means Uni was worth it?
It is but at least it doesn't have to be paid upfront like in America. It gets written off after a certain amount of years and you only have to pay back once you star earning 21k. Also uni doesn't have to be expensive, if you're worried about debt you can reduce it by staying st home/ not taking out student maintenance loans etc ....
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending