The Student Room Group

Not everyone going to uni has a supportive family

Scroll to see replies

my dad didn't give me ten pence towards my degree.
I was under the impression that a lot of these "degrees" aren't worth the paper there written on. Whatever, keep funding those hedge funds with your poorly spent money and time at university. And say the actual word "university", it's not "uni".
Original post by WBZ144
Nobody says they're not. However, that does not mean that it isn't selfish for family not to help one another if they can, not unless they have a very bad relationship. I used to wonder how children could put their parents in retirement homes and leave them to grow old lonely, perhaps these are the sort of parents who end up there.

Original post by 97Y
Things like this.. It's dramatic to say (but very true to me) that I feel betrayed everytime things like this come up. Like.. Why can't you help me with a small thing and I'm sure I can repay the favour in the future

Parents really need to respect their children and understand that's it's their offspring that are going to bury them in their graves.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by AlphaCenturion
I was under the impression that a lot of these "degrees" aren't worth the paper there written on. Whatever, keep funding those hedge funds with your poorly spent money and time at university. And say the actual word "university", it's not "uni".

It's "they're", not "there".
Original post by difeo
It's "they're", not "there".

Thanks university genius! Put that on your wall and frame it!
Reply 45
Original post by AlphaCenturion
Thanks university genius! Put that on your wall and frame it!

You seem pretty salty, did you not get in to uni?
Original post by difeo
You seem pretty salty, did you not get in to uni?

No I'm pissed off that grants have been switched to loans. Typical target the poor for everything approach.
I'll be the first in my family to go to University and my family don't really care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If they are not supporting you, how are you coping with this, making sure you can still go to university and do well?
Reply 49
Get a job.
Original post by Duke Glacia
youll proove her wrong ena,DW

I hope so Duke, I hope so.
Original post by mercuryman
😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡
😡😡😡😡 that's literally the most out of order thing a mum can wish for her child WTH. God doesn't accept prayers made with bad and malicious intentions that's for sure.😡😡😡😡

I hope that's the case because my intentions for going to a top uni and doing well have always been pure :redface:
It feels strange reading these comments because generally in Asian-SouthAsian-Pakistani culture this is completely the opposite and that parents thoroughly house and take care of their children even when they're in their 20s-30s!

Some Asian Pakistani families aren't even wealthy, we're in deep financial struggles just like you are, but even so the respect between parents and children is taken VERY seriously in my culture (and religion) which I'm extremely grateful for.

You'll never see a Pakistani guy/girl getting booted from their house just because they're old enough to take care of themselves.

And of course the children modestly give back to their parents and treat them with respect for their entire lives.

Like they all say: what goes around comes around.

Parents really need to respect their children and understand that's it's their offspring that are going to bury them in their graves.

My parents are actually South Asian
Original post by Serine Soul
My parents are actually South Asian

I know, I was shocked when I read your comments especially when you're going to a top uni. Doesn't make sense but your dad is super supportive though. It'll benefit your mum after you graduate more since you could be looking after her with a banging salary.
(edited 7 years ago)
I know, I was shocked when I read your comments especially when you're going to a top uni. Doesn't make sense but your dad is super supportive though. It'll benefit your mum after you graduate more since you could be looking after her with a banging salary.

If I do get into my firm and earn a nice salary, I'm not giving her a single penny. She has given me zilch support throughout the whole process.

My dad deserves everything I earn though
If I do get into my firm and earn a nice salary, I'm not giving her a single penny. She has given me zilch support throughout the whole process.

My dad deserves everything I earn though

This sounds like Cinderella lol; substituting the step mother.
I don't think she understands tbh, have you tried explaining it to her? I think she's just mostly worried for you moving out. I'm sure she hasn't directly told you she's jealous that you're doing better than she did right? And pride? Doesn't she want the pride of her daughter going to Oxford ( correct me if I'm wrong 😭)
(edited 7 years ago)
This sounds like Cinderella lol; substituting the step mother.
I don't think she understands tbh, have you tried explaining it to her? I think she's just mostly worried for you moving out. I'm sure she hasn't directly told you she's jealous that you're doing better than she did right? And pride? Doesn't she want the pride of her daughter going to Oxford ( correct me if I'm wrong 😭)

You know how in A Cinderella Story Sam's stepmum hides her offer letter from Princeton from her or something? I genuinely thought my mum would do that if I wasn't emailed first.

Oh I've tried explaining, talked to her about potential high salaries, shown the numerous famous alumni etc only for her to say 'women shouldn't aim that high. The women who try to be smart always come to a sticky end'

Eh I don't know. I just want to get away from her asap

Nah she's got no sense of pride in her children. No matter what I get, even if it's a Nobel Prize or something, the cousin who got married young, is a housewife, and has 4 kids will have brought more 'honour' to their family than me.

It's just the way of life.

The uni I'm hoping for is Cambridge :smile:
Anybody here know about becoming an independent student?

I don't really want to see my parents as soon as I go to uni due to issues etc.
I'll share my story, even though it was many years ago..

My parents divorced right in middle of my A'levels, I lived with my mum who did not support me a single bit. During revision she would shout up "quick, quick, come here, quick" when I went down, she would say "make me a cup of tea" 😡. My boyfriend would testify to this..we lived in a small village in nowhere so I had no chance to go elsewhere to study.
My mum just wanted me to get a job and give her money.
Anyway, I failed my A'levels, came out with 3 U grades, school were no help at all, parents didn't give a damn, as long as I was now able to get a job to give them money...
My boyfriends parents took me in for a few months, I managed to get into Uni to do an HND. I moved out of home and when I went back over summer, I went to my boyfriends parents.
I left uni, got a full time job, bought a house, then went back to uni for 2years and got my degree from Lancaster. And the mortgage was only £149 per month!!
Anyway, long story short, it was a nightmare trying to get funding for uni because while I was independent, they still needed my parents income details because we were not legally irrovocably estranged, and I was under 25. Obviously they refused to disclose, so I basically lived on student loans only. I went to the same uni as my boyfriend so he moved in my house and we both lived VERY cheap through uni. (He did a PhD).
23 years and 3 kids later, we're still together, my in laws I class as my surrogate parents 😂, and I ask NOTHING from my parents.
The best bit was, my mum really wanted to come to my HND graduation, I let her, and then it turned out she didn't even see me..she was infatuated with another girl who graduated same uni and day as me, that she used to work with, and didn't give a fudge about her! 😳😡
My degree graduation, my in-laws came along, and to watch ME. 🙂

I know times are different now, so it is harder to be more independent through uni with housing etc.. But there's always a light at the end of the tunnel.
I sat my A'levels in 1994, Graduated Lancaster 2001, and going to Uni again in September for a career change! I'm now 40, and even now, without kids, finances wanted my parents financial details! 😳😳. Thankfully, with 3 kids, I'm sorted 😂.
(edited 7 years ago)
[QUOTE="Soul;66700888" Serine="Serine"] You know how in A Cinderella Story Sam's stepmum hides her offer letter from Princeton from her or something? I genuinely thought my mum would do that if I wasn't emailed first.

Haha yeah, loved that film

Oh I've tried explaining, talked to her about potential high salaries, shown the numerous famous alumni etc only for her to say 'women shouldn't aim that high. The women who try to be smart always come to a sticky end'

Eh I don't know. I just want to get away from her asap

Nah she's got no sense of pride in her children. No matter what I get, even if it's a Nobel Prize or something, the cousin who got married young, is a housewife, and has 4 kids will have brought more 'honour' to their family than me.

Regressive cultural attitudes make me feel sick. 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡
(edited 7 years ago)
Wow I'm so sorry for you guys... I know that my mum would at least help me financially. My parents haven't been that great either though; they've only ever been happy with my plans ONCE when I thought about applying to study medicine in my home city in Finland. When I realized I wanted to study medicine in the UK and Oxford in particular they haven't been anything but critical, but this isn't anything compared with the months of screaming and insults when I thought about studying humanities :colonhash: so apparently one specific course at one specific university is the only thing that's good enough for them. (oh that's actually not true, my mum once tried to persuade me to become a FARMER and I'm not kidding here - arbitrary much?)

Quick Reply

Latest