The Student Room Group

Medicine - Which A-Level subjects to take?

I intend to take both Chemistry and Biology to A2 as I know these are required, I also plan to take Psychology to A2 because I find it interesting

However I'm unsure whether to take either Sociology, Maths or Physics as my fourth AS subject.

My preference is Sociology however I fear that it isn't as "respectable" as Physics and Maths and it may hinder my chances of being accepted into a medicine course

Are Physics/Maths (a third science subject) really that important?

And overall are these A-Level choices correct for medicine: Chemistry, Biology Psychology, Sociology?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Mate you will need math for most universities offering medicine. An ideal combination would be biology chemistry physics and maths. However try writing to your university and ask for A level requirements.
Good luck!
Reply 2
Take Maths. Pretty easy to get an A in especially at AS level.
Lots of info here about applting for Medicine - including which A levels required by each Med School : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

If a Uni only asks for Chem and Bio/another science, and leaves the 3rd subject open, then they wont care what subject you've taken - it could be Art or Theatre Studies, they wont care or give you extra points for some imaginary 'better subject'. So choose a subject you enjoy - you are far more likely to get an A grade, and that is all that matters.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Hardly any medical schools in the UK require more than 2 sciences at A Level, ie, they want just Chem and Biology.

However, it may be a good idea to take maths to AS level as this could help with any aptitude tests (UKCAT and/or BMAT) you may have to take. Both these tests require maths to GCSE level but taking maths as a subject in Year 12 will keep your maths skills going and make this a potentially easier process.

That being said, maths AS isn't at all compulsory, universities don't generally 'look' for it in their candidates.

I'm in the process of choosing whether to take Maths for A2 next year instead of Theatre Studies. We shall see on the 18th :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TomSuffolk
I intend to take both Chemistry and Biology to A2 as I know these are required, I also plan to take Psychology to A2 because I find it interesting

However I'm unsure whether to take either Sociology, Maths or Physics as my fourth AS subject.

My preference is Sociology however I fear that it isn't as "respectable" as Physics and Maths and it may hinder my chances of being accepted into a medicine course

Are Physics/Maths (a third science subject) really that important?

And overall are these A-Level choices correct for medicine: Chemistry, Biology Psychology, Sociology?

Those subjects would be fine for every medical school except Cambridge. You don't need maths or physics. Sociology is actually taught as part of a medical degree and researched at many medical schools, so I'd be a bit puzzled as to why anyone would consider it not "respectable". In other words, feel free to ignore this "advice":

Original post by 2000rules
Mate you will need math for most universities offering medicine. An ideal combination would be biology chemistry physics and maths. However try writing to your university and ask for A level requirements.
Good luck!

No.
Original post by 2000rules
Good luck!

Maths is sometimes suggested, but pretty much never required.
Reply 7
Most Universities require maths (or at least prefer it)
Reply 8
Original post by umar39
Most Universities require maths (or at least prefer it)

No. No they don't. Please show me one UK university apart from Cambridge which wants a third science or maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unless Maths is stated as a required A level subject it is not required !

There are no secret requirements, or info that only you or your school knows. ALL Unis have to be totally upfront with their admissions info in order to comply with all sorts of consumer legislation. Check out the info on each website, go to Open Days and listen to the admissions presentations - don't 'guess'.
Original post by returnmigrant
Lots of info here about applting for Medicine - including which A levels required by each Med School : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

If a Uni only asks for Chem and Bio/another science, and leaves the 3rd subject open, then they wont care what subject you've taken - it could be Art or Theatre Studies, they wont care or give you extra points for some imaginary 'better subject'. So choose a subject you enjoy - you are far more likely to get an A grade, and that is all that matters.

But do you think that my application would be weaker that than of someone taking Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths because these subjects are more difficult? Or do they really not mind
But do you think that my application would be weaker that than of someone taking Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths because these subjects are more difficult? Or do they really not mind

It wouldn't make a difference. Applications aren't scored by subjects, you just need the requirements (i.e. chemistry and biology) and then they look at other things (GCSEs, UKCAT etc).
Original post by Democracy
Those subjects would be fine for every medical school except Cambridge. You don't need maths or physics. Sociology is actually taught as part of a medical degree and researched at many medical schools, so I'd be a bit puzzled as to why anyone would consider it not "respectable". In other words, feel free to ignore this "advice":

No.

So if only Biology and Chemistry are required:

Then somebody taking Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Sociology will stand just as much of a chance as somebody taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths?
Original post by ForestCat
It wouldn't make a difference. Applications aren't scored by subjects, you just need the requirements (i.e. chemistry and biology) and then they look at other things (GCSEs, UKCAT etc).

Thankyou ☺️
So if only Biology and Chemistry are required:

Then somebody taking Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Sociology will stand just as much of a chance as somebody taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths?

Basically yes, but it all depends on grades, admission score, personal statement etc.
I understand that no subject is "easy" but between AS Maths and AS Sociology which do you personally think would be easier to get an A, because that's what really matters at the end of the day?

I'm expecting an A at GCSE Maths with the slight chance of an A*, but most likely an A haha
I understand that no subject is "easy" but between AS Maths and AS Sociology which do you personally think would be easier to get an A, because that's what really matters at the end of the day?

I'm expecting an A at GCSE Maths with the slight chance of an A*, but most likely an A haha

Completely depends on you. Are you good at essay subjects? Do you want a change so you're not doing all science/maths? Does the sociology syllabus interest you?
Original post by ForestCat
Completely depends on you. Are you good at essay subjects? Do you want a change so you're not doing all science/maths? Does the sociology syllabus interest you?

Sociology interests me much much more than Maths. The problem is the pace of my writing, I've been able to cope with essay subjects at GCSE and do well in them, however I'm worried I won't be able to write fast enough at A-Level

Also Sociology and Psychology seem much more relevant for Medicine than Physics and Maths
(edited 7 years ago)

It'd probably be easier to get an A in Sociology, tbh. AS Maths assumes a large chunk of A* knowledge, and requires much more work than GCSE Maths. If Maths bores you, or you don't have any motivation to work at it, you'll likely struggle. If you're willing to work at it, though, an A in Maths would be achievable!
Original post by _gcx
It'd probably be easier to get an A in Sociology, tbh. AS Maths assumes a large chunk of A* knowledge, and requires much more work than GCSE Maths. If Maths bores you, or you don't have any motivation to work at it, you'll likely struggle. If you're willing to work at it, though, an A in Maths would be achievable!

Do you think that AS Maths will benefit me in Chemistry or Biology or will I have any real use for it in the future?

And I'm willing to put in the work whichever subject I take because I so desperately want to do Medicine, I'm just worried that even if I work really hard I still might not come out with an A in Maths
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending