The Student Room Group

Do you put your degree mark on your CV/ job application?

I'm applying for a research assistant job at a university, and am uncertain whether it's appropriate to provide my degree mark?
It states that you must have a good degree, and I have a 2:1 with an overall mark of 69. Because this is so close to a First do you think I should put the mark down, or will that not come across well?
Surely good degree is subjective. If they wanted specifics they'd have asked. I wouldn't put anything personally. Just the degree itself. Impress them with the whole application. A 2:1 is still a 2:1 however close!!!!
Reply 2
I would put it down, since it's an academic role.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Twinpeaks
I'm applying for a research assistant job at a university, and am uncertain whether it's appropriate to provide my degree mark?
It states that you must have a good degree, and I have a 2:1 with an overall mark of 69. Because this is so close to a First do you think I should put the mark down, or will that not come across well?

Yes, put both in, that's normal, especially in an academic CV
Can't do any harm, I'd have thought. Worth putting down surely, especially since you have the best 2.1 possible.
Reply 5
Thanks guys, I put it down :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Sammylou40
Surely good degree is subjective. If they wanted specifics they'd have asked. I wouldn't put anything personally. Just the degree itself. Impress them with the whole application. A 2:1 is still a 2:1 however close!!!!

What do you mean by that exactly? :unsure:
What do you mean by that exactly? :unsure:

That every employer looks for something different. Asking for a good degree and not specific grades leaves it open to interpretation. It's just as important to impress on the whole of your application. If they had asked for a first it may have been worth applying anyway and showing how close you were. As they haven't specified a grade, just a "good degree" there's not much benefit to showing how close you are to a first. They may also require a better "sort" of degree rather than just look at grades. There are plenty of employers who are more interested in the person as a whole and don't just look at the class.
Reply 8
Original post by Sammylou40
That every employer looks for something different. Asking for a good degree and not specific grades leaves it open to interpretation. It's just as important to impress on the whole of your application. If they had asked for a first it may have been worth applying anyway and showing how close you were. As they haven't specified a grade, just a "good degree" there's not much benefit to showing how close you are to a first. They may also require a better "sort" of degree rather than just look at grades. There are plenty of employers who are more interested in the person as a whole and don't just look at the class.

I understand that it is good to impress with the whole application. That is why I addressed every single essential criteria, one of which was a "good degree".

Yes we know that it leaves it open to interpretation, the majority of criteria on a person specification require an element of interpretation.
So here is my interpretation, my degree is at the same Russel Group university that I am applying to work at, I have the specific degree subject they request, so the only possible other criteria for a "good degree" concerns the classification.

I do not have a First, but if my mark which is a near miss can help distinguish me in any way from other applicants, then I see no issue in using it. I'm not saying it will, but it might. For the way I see it, a 69 requires a lot more work than a 60. I say that from personal experience.

Don't see what your issue is tbh. I'm not going to ignore an essential criteria just because they don't specify what a "good degree" entails.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by J-SP
It's a strength of your application - you will have a higher percentage grade than most applicants.

If it was anything else, like work experience, technical training etc, that made you stand out of the crowd, you'd include it, so I don't understand any argument as to why you wouldn't on here. Especially as this is an academic role.

All it has to be written as is something like:

Degree title, University name - 2.1 honours degree (69% average percentage).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers :smile: I don't think I have much of a shot because I can imagine I'm going up against those with a Masters, but it was worth a try!

Thanks also for advising how to word it, I'll use that in future.
I understand that it is good to impress with the whole application. That is why I addressed every single essential criteria, one of which was a "good degree".

Yes we know that it leaves it open to interpretation, the majority of criteria on a person specification require an element of interpretation.
So here is my interpretation, my degree is at the same Russel Group university that I am applying to work at, I have the specific degree subject they request, so the only possible other criteria for a "good degree" concerns the classification.

I do not have a First, but if my mark which is a near miss can help distinguish me in any way from other applicants, then I see no issue in using it. I'm not saying it will, but it might. For the way I see it, a 69 requires a lot more work than a 60. I say that from personal experience.

Don't see what your issue is tbh. I'm not going to ignore an essential criteria just because they don't specify what a "good degree" entails.

I don't have an issue. Was merely asked to explain my original comment
Where did it say that it was an essential criteria to give marks? If one concentrates on the application as a whole and sells oneself to the whole specification pointing out you had 69% may not count for that much. Especially if you are known to the department! Go for it and very good luck

I would put that down.
I got 69.2, and I was awarded a first.
Reply 12
Original post by hellodave5
I would put that down.
I got 69.2, and I was awarded a first.

Every uni is different I think. Mine goes by the rule that if over 60% of your modules were Firsts, then if your overall mark is a 68/69 you'll be awarded a First.

It's a little frustrating when I have friends with a 68 overall who had Firsts, but that's life I suppose!
Every uni is different I think. Mine goes by the rule that if over 60% of your modules were Firsts, then if your overall mark is a 68/69 you'll be awarded a First.

It's a little frustrating when I have friends with a 68 overall who had Firsts, but that's life I suppose!

Aye for us it was within the few percent but had a certain number of credits over 70 or something.
But for borderline grades I think its worth stating the score in brackets or something

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending