The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What kind of questions are asked in the interview

And which kind of questions does your offer really hang on...
Original post by Chittesh14
Hi, I have been on this thread before. I just want to know (even though you said people won't be deterred if they don't have Physics) but if I do Physics AS (Year 12) and drop it in Year 13. But, at the end of Year 13 I get A* A* A (Maths, Further Maths, Economics respectively) and C/B at Physics AS would I get a chance for interview. Or would that Physics really put you guys off lol?

HI, everything is considered holistically looking at your full application and how it compares to the gathered field in Mathematics across the entire University so I'm afraid I can't give a straight yes/no answer to this. Would you be applying post-A level?
Original post by STRANGER2
What kind of questions are asked in the interview

And which kind of questions does your offer really hang on...

Maths questions! All questions are academic and mathematical in nature and assessing your potential for the course. We won't ask anything general like you might get in a job interview ("what's your greatest weakness?" "what animal are you?" etc.).

The questions themselves will be things you should be able to have a go at, given the knowledge you already have but might not be presented in ways which are familiar to you. The idea is not to see who knows the most but to see who can best apply whatever they know to new and unfamiliar challenges.

When we're deciding who to make offers to, we consider all available information very carefully. No weights are applied to anything and no one element Is ever considered in isolation. Nothing (interview, statement, reference, grades) are any more or less important than any other and the same goes for responses in the interview. Candidates might struggle with simpler questions but progress quickly through more challenging ones, others may make a few more mistakes but we could see that they were shaking with nerves throughout and our job is to decide who shows the most potential to flourish in the Cambridge course and with the supervision style of teaching.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
HI, everything is considered holistically looking at your full application and how it compares to the gathered field in Mathematics across the entire University so I'm afraid I can't give a straight yes/no answer to this. Would you be applying post-A level?

That's fine thanks. I'll be applying whenever my school does so start of year 13 I think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I took Maths A Level early in year 11 and got an A*. This means that I'm taking Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry next year. If I get an offer will the maths count ie if I get an offer of A*A*A will the maths count as an A* or will I have to get two A*s next year? Will the fact that I did Maths early hinder me in any way?

I also did an EPQ but it is not related to Maths. There were a few statistical tests but that's it. Will this help or hinder my application or will it make no difference?
That's fine thanks. I'll be applying whenever my school does so start of year 13 I think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I see. Then I think your question might be very difficult to answer as you'd be applying before you'd taken the exams and we would have your predicted grades to go on. If you're predicted A*A* in maths and FM then you're likely to be interviewed. Did you do AS Physics this year? A C or B in this may be concerning but it wouldn't preclude a successful applciation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TH3-FL45H
I took Maths A Level early in year 11 and got an A*. This means that I'm taking Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry next year. If I get an offer will the maths count ie if I get an offer of A*A*A will the maths count as an A* or will I have to get two A*s next year? Will the fact that I did Maths early hinder me in any way?

I also did an EPQ but it is not related to Maths. There were a few statistical tests but that's it. Will this help or hinder my application or will it make no difference?

All offers are set individually on a case-by-case basis taking individual circumstances into account so there's not only one way we deal with cases where A levels have been taken early. Don't worry about meeting your offer yet, concentrate on getting one! We'd expect you to be on track for A*A*A in year 13.

We would be very interested in your Maths result from year 12 and it would certainly figure in our assessment and consideration, but we may still require A*A*A in the exams you're taking in year 13 and we may or may not specify which subjects the A* would have to be in (asking for A* in FM is likely). On the other hand, I can imagine circumstances where we might set A*A* in FM and Physics only.

Your EPQ will not be a problem.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, I've been on this thread before. My question is similar to that of TH3 FL45H. I was considering doing all my AS and A2 exams next year (year 12) applying next year too. But if I decide against this, I will likely still do Maths AS and A2 in Year 12, leaving me with only 2 A2-levels left to complete in Year 13 - Further Maths and Physics. Is this slightly lower workload likely to hinder me in any way? And what might my offer look like if I only have 2 A-levels left when I make my application in Year 13?

Also, since I may be doing all my A-levels next year, should I do the modules my school does, allowing me to go to get more support from my teachers, or do different ones and do less discrete maths and statistics? My school teaches S1, S2 (Statistics) and D1 (Decision Mathematics) as part of FM but I've read that from the point of view of the Cambridge course, it's better to do more pure maths and mechanics (and so less statistics and discrete mathematics).
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah I see. Then I think your question might be very difficult to answer as you'd be applying before you'd taken the exams and we would have your predicted grades to go on. If you're predicted A*A* in maths and FM then you're likely to be interviewed. Did you do AS Physics this year? A C or B in this may be concerning but it wouldn't preclude a successful applciation.

No, I'm still in year 11. I'm going into Year 12 from September, so I just finished my GCSEs. I should be predicted 2 A*s hopefully, maybe A* A (Maths, Further Maths respectively) after my Year 12 exams/results. I will probably do physics AS - hoping to get a B tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do some people get step 1 and 2 as offers, but others have got step 2 and 3 in their offers.

Is it because they do further maths
Why do some people get step 1 and 2 as offers, but others have got step 2 and 3 in their offers.

Yeah because STEP 3 is for further maths students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I'm still in year 11. I'm going into Year 12 from September, so I just finished my GCSEs. I should be predicted 2 A*s hopefully, maybe A* A (Maths, Further Maths respectively) after my Year 12 exams/results. I will probably do physics AS - hoping to get a B tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Strong resutls in maths would most likely mean that you would be invited to interview, but if it came to a decision about an offer, the fact you've tried Physics but didn't do so well in it would count against you. On the other hand, your entire application and interview performance might be strong enough to still get an offer regardless.

My general advice would be that if Physics is available candidates should take it. This is not because to get a better chance of getting in,but beacuse if they do get in, they would have an easier time with the appliedmaths/theoretical physics content of the Tripos

The typical offer for Mathematics and Computer Science with Mathematics includes 1, 1 in STEP II and III, although we may sometimes ask for S, 1 or even S, S. We use STEP I conditions for other courses like Engineering (about 40-50% of Engineering offers at Peterhouse ask for a I in STEP I) and other colleges may use STEP I for physical Natural Sciences, other routes into Computer Science or maybe Economics.
Original post by archipelaglobule
Hi, I've been on this thread before. My question is similar to that of TH3 FL45H. I was considering doing all my AS and A2 exams next year (year 12) applying next year too. But if I decide against this, I will likely still do Maths AS and A2 in Year 12, leaving me with only 2 A2-levels left to complete in Year 13 - Further Maths and Physics. Is this slightly lower workload likely to hinder me in any way? And what might my offer look like if I only have 2 A-levels left when I make my application in Year 13?

We generally prefer 3 A levels in year 13, but STEP preparation is likely to keep you busy enough! All offers are set individually looking at your full application but if you have 2 A levels in year 13 then the offer will very likely be for A*A*. If you do all your A levels in year 12, make sure you have a good plan for year 13. Gap years can be problematic for mathematicians.

Original post by archipelaglobule
Also, since I may be doing all my A-levels next year, should I do the modules my school does, allowing me to go to get more support from my teachers, or do different ones and do less discrete maths and statistics? My school teaches S1, S2 (Statistics) and D1 (Decision Mathematics) as part of FM but I've read that from the point of view of the Cambridge course, it's better to do more pure maths and mechanics (and so less statistics and discrete mathematics).

You should do what maths you enjoy. You won't be disadvantaged by following your school's programme.

Self-studying is not to be entertained lightly and following your school's programme (A levels in two years and supported by teachers) is very likely your best option. Remember that if you do get an offer, your place is only guaranteed if you achieve the grades (typically A*A*A and 1,1 in STEP II and III). Just over/around about half (depending on year and college this can be 40-75%) of offer holders in Mathematics fail to meet their conditions, and these are generally people taking two years to do their A levels and STEP preparation.
The typical offer for Mathematics and Computer Science with Mathematics includes 1, 1 in STEP II and III, although we may sometimes ask for S, 1 or even S, S. We use STEP I conditions for other courses like Engineering (about 40-50% of Engineering offers at Peterhouse ask for a I in STEP I) and other colleges may use STEP I for physical Natural Sciences, other routes into Computer Science or maybe Economics.

Do you accept the engineering candidate if they had a 1 in STEP 3 (but a high 2 in STEP 1) ? Even if there is limited places
I understand that you must/should have extra reading and/or gone to lectures but my question is how much do you recommend?
Original post by Duke Glacia
Do you accept the engineering candidate if they had a 1 in STEP 3 (but a high 2 in STEP 1) ? Even if there is limited places

A high score in a harder STEP paper would undoubtedly be in your favour, but such decisions are made on a case-by-case basis. The only way your place is guaranteed is if you meet the exact conditions of the offer given.
Original post by alfmeister
I understand that you must/should have extra reading and/or gone to lectures but my question is how much do you recommend?

I think lots of applicants end up missing the point about extra reading and supercurricular engagement - the point is to explore the subject you're interested in and pursue your interests, not to tick boxes to try and impress people like me. There is no minimum, maximum or even expected amount. Doing nothing outside of school can be a big red flag (it's easy to say you're passionate about Mathematics without doing the hard work) but remember your current schoolwork should be your priority and tons of extra stuff can mean you don't have the time/energy to concentrate on doing the important things well. We also expect you to have a break from time to time! You don't have to fill every waking minute with Mathematics!
A high score in a harder STEP paper would undoubtedly be in your favour, but such decisions are made on a case-by-case basis. The only way your place is guaranteed is if you meet the exact conditions of the offer given.

have u encountered such cases in the past ?
Original post by Duke Glacia
have u encountered such cases in the past ?

I don't recall any, but then few people with an offer for STEP I would choose to sit STEP III.

Latest

Trending

Trending