The Student Room Group

Robot wars is BACK!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by jneill
It would be the LHC black hole all over again...

Actually there's a few spinners in the comp.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/429pM29J4mfytYXBYhtm6KG/10-of-the-most-destructive-looking-robots-from-the-series?__flush_cache=1

Ironside vs Carbide could be big!
Original post by dhr90
Ironside vs Carbide could be big!

Indeed :smile: I hope the bullet-proof plastic around the arena really is that strong!
I'm really hoping that Pulsar lives up to its potential, it could be the one to watch in terms of destruction, as vertical drum spinners can be even more impressive than horizontal spinners. Looking to BattleBots for examples (again, these are official uploads):

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 103
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I'm really hoping that Pulsar lives up to its potential, it could be the one to watch in terms of destruction, as vertical drum spinners can be even more impressive than horizontal spinners. Looking to BattleBots for examples (again, these are official uploads):

True, Matilda has had some massive hits, in the old series when her flywheel was introduced and upgraded it was fierce

:eek3:

That's shamazing.
AJ's Episode 2 predictions :blow:

Chimera - An axel bot, built by Team Death. The axe doesn't look very scary, and the wheels look very vulnerable. Can't see it lasting very long.

DisConstructor - Failed to damage any opponents in its sole Series 7 appearance, and robot armour has come a long way since then, so I guess it depends how much they've improved the weapon.

Draven - Failed to qualify for Series 4, 5 or 6 due to reliability issues, and lost to King B in its only televised fight in Extreme. Again, here's hoping the new team have made some huge improvements!

Foxic - I love the look and design; much lighter than the rest of the robots in this episode, though. I'm not sure whether Draven can self right, so their flipper could see them through the first melee at least.

M.R. Speed Squared - New robot from the creators of Trouble 'n Strife. An invertible full body spinner sounds great, I just hope it's reliable. Predicting them to advance alongside Foxic.

Shockwave - The weapon sounds interesting, a 360 degree lifter that can flip the robot itself onto/away from its opponents. Hopefully we'll get to see it do just that. :biggrin:

Thor - Completely redesigned from the Series 6 - 7 machine. Thor has looked amazing in the live show battles, their axe looks far more dangerous than Terrorhurtz's did last week.

Tough as Nails - Another veteran, and the only Dutch robot to qualify. Should be able to make good use of the new quickly descending pit, though its grab and drop tactics aren't the most thrilling to watch.

My prediction to win the heat: Thor.
(edited 7 years ago)
Wish Razer was still in in :emo:
that girl on the razer team was really attractive :getmecoat:

looking forward to today's one though :banana:
Christ spinners are overpowered this year.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Christ spinners are overpowered this year.

The armour got stronger, so the spinners evolved to cope with it. :biggrin:
And that's where arrogance gets you...

in a big pit :colondollar:
Spoilers!

Spoiler

I think last night's runner-up should be in with a good chance of getting the wildcard place in the finals. IMO their overall performance was much better than Behemoth's or any of the others from episode 1, and I think they'd have at least some chance of winning if given another shot.

Guess we'll have to see whether there are any bigger upsets to come though, I guess. :afraid:
Anytime I watched match of the day and jonathan pearce is commentating I always expect him to slip in a 'Sir Kill-Aaaaaaaaa-Lotttttttt!!!' :biggrin:
Reply 113
I wanna build a robot. I even bought a book two years ago called 'Robot Building for Dummies' but it's about 20 years old now...
Original post by Kyx
I wanna build a robot. I even bought a book two years ago called 'Robot Building for Dummies' but it's about 20 years old now...

If you're serious, apparently the Fighting Robots Association is a good place to go for info/help from other builders. That's where most of the roboteers send people when they ask for advice on Facebook pages etc. :yes:
Reply 115
If you're serious, apparently the Fighting Robots Association is a good place to go for info/help from other builders. That's where most of the roboteers send people when they ask for advice on Facebook pages etc. :yes:

Awesome!
Reply 116
Original post by Deyesy
Spoilers!

Spoiler

They were pretty useless. Looked like they should have been in the middle weight division of the old series.

Spinners are going to win. Shame Thor didn't win that episode, they deserved to given they have a weapon and not just a scoop which didn't even scoop.

Wish I knew why the jackass editors thought we wanted to see the crowd/teams/some obscure close up and not the fight that was going on, just give us a slightly wider shot and do the close ups in the replays FFS.

That fight that wasn't a fight should have resulted in a DSQ for both teams from the whole competition, pathetic!
Original post by dhr90
They were pretty useless. Looked like they should have been in the middle weight division of the old series.

Spinners are going to win. Shame Thor didn't win that episode, they deserved to given they have a weapon and not just a scoop which didn't even scoop.

Wish I knew why the jackass editors thought we wanted to see the crowd/teams/some obscure close up and not the fight that was going on, just give us a slightly wider shot and do the close ups in the replays FFS.

That fight that wasn't a fight should have resulted in a DSQ for both teams from the whole competition, pathetic!

Foxic was actually about the same weight as most heavyweights from series 4-7, a little lighter. The rest of this week's lineup (other than the ridiculously underweight Chimera) were still a good 15 kg heavier, though, thanks to the higher limit for this series. I was impressed that something so small could push the beefed up Dead Metal... though that's about all I can say I found impressive about Foxic. :giggle:

The spinners have definitely impressed so far, but I'm looking forward to seeing whether the two most impressive looking flippers (Or Te and Eruption) can manage to get a robot over the new higher walls and out of the arena. :biggrin:

While MR Speed Squared vs Foxic was boring, I don't think either team should have been disqualified. Both seemed to be having real issues (weapons with the former, traction and control with the latter). Sometimes things break, or just don't work out as the teams planned. :dontknow:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 118
Foxic was actually about the same weight as most heavyweights from series 4-7, a little lighter. The rest of this week's lineup (other than the ridiculously underweight Chimera) were still a good 15 kg heavier, though, thanks to the higher limit for this series. I was impressed that something so small could push the beefed up Dead Metal... though that's about all I can say I found impressive about Foxic. :giggle:

The spinners have definitely impressed so far, but I'm looking forward to seeing whether the two most impressive looking flippers (Or Te and Eruption) can manage to get a robot over the new higher walls and out of the arena. :biggrin:

While MR Speed Squared vs Foxic was boring, I don't think either team should have been disqualified. Both seemed to be having real issues (weapons with the former, traction and control with the latter). Sometimes things break, or just don't work out as the teams planned. :dontknow:

Oh I was very impressed that it pushed dead metal!! I would imagine it would shove Tornado all over the place.

How high are the new walls? I thought it was like a cube with just the one gap where the entry ramp was?

True, but they could have still driven into each other?

Seeing this series, I think hypnodisc would need a huge amount of upgrading to compete, the spinners are just brutal.
Original post by dhr90

Spoilers again.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest