The Student Room Group

So... I'm a complete, and utter idiot. Someone please tell me it'll be alright. :(

Yesterday I got a call from Tesco, asking if I could come in early in the morning today for an interview. I accepted (this job is perfect for me, and out of all I've applied for, I want this one the most) but this was pretty sudden, and I was a bit of a mess trying to revise and plan (it'd be my first ever interview!). I ended up staying up all night just to get to grips with the process and the questions they might ask (this might not have been the best idea, but I made a conscious decision between being tired vs being completely unprepared).

So... where things went wrong. I got there alright, and everything was running smoothly, I wasn't that tired and felt comfortable. But no one was showing up to interview me in the shop. The poor workers were chasing people down to try work out what's up, after I repeatedly said it wasn't an error on my part.

But you guessed it, it was. Somehow I got the wrong postcode... And not knowing the area as well as I should I went to the wrong store. D: (In my defence though, from what I've seen around here most people get interviewed in the Extra, not the Express...)
Obviously I only realised this after I'd come home though and spent at least an hour there trying to find what went wrong with the friendly workers.

R.I.P whatever chances I had at being employed at Tesco. :frown: I've phoned the store I went to and apologised for my stupid mistake. I will now phone the correct store, and also apologise profusely for not arriving.

I thought worse case scenario today was being late or being bad at the interview questions. How wrong was I... I hope someone can learn something from this.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's only a Tesco, how about applying for a Sainsbury's/Asda/Morrisons/Aldi/Lidl? (You won't have to mention that you got lost on the way to an interview)
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
It's only a Tesco, how about applying for a Sainsbury's/Asda/Morrisons/Aldi/Lidl? (You won't have to mention that you got lost on the way to an interview)

I'm 17 so I don't think Sainsbury's or Aldi are a possibility right now, and Morrisons aren't hiring near me last I checked. I have applied to Lidl though.
Reply 3
Original post by Galactic97
Yesterday I got a call from Tesco, asking if I could come in early in the morning today for an interview. I accepted (this job is perfect for me, and out of all I've applied for, I want this one the most) but this was pretty sudden, and I was a bit of a mess trying to revise and plan (it'd be my first ever interview!). I ended up staying up all night just to get to grips with the process and the questions they might ask (this might not have been the best idea, but I made a conscious decision between being tired vs being completely unprepared).

So... where things went wrong. I got there alright, and everything was running smoothly, I wasn't that tired and felt comfortable. But no one was showing up to interview me in the shop. The poor workers were chasing people down to try work what's up, after I repeatedly said it wasn't an error on my part.

But you guessed it, it was. Somehow I got the wrong postcode... And not knowing the area as well as I should I went to the wrong store. D: (In my defence though, from what I've seen around here most people get interviewed in the Extra, not the Express...)
Obviously I only realised this after I'd come home though and spent at least an hour there trying to find what went wrong with the friendly workers.

R.I.P whatever chances I had at being employed at Tesco. :frown: I've phoned the store I went to and apologised for my stupid mistake. I will now phone the correct store, and also apologise profusely for not arriving.

I thought worse case scenario today was being late or being bad at the interview questions. How wrong was I... I hope someone can learn something from this.

It's not all that bad people would have had a worse day than you just take it as a learning experience i've done way more stupider (is that even a word?) things before and now i just look back and laugh at them you will too. Maybe the correct store will understand and allow to change the interview to another day. Even if they don't you can always apply again to Tesco's they have lots of stores. PS everything happens for a reason so maybe that job was just not meant to be :biggrin:
Reply 4
If nothing else, you've learnt a valuable lesson about double checking details. And although it is upsetting now, it is better to learn that sooner rather than later
As gutted as you might be, it's really not the end of the world, it was a simple mistake to make, which anyone could make, and with the number of tescos in towns/cities these days I guess it can be easy to muddle them up. dont be too hard on yourself, youll get plenty more job opportunities and if this wasnt your big career job for the rest of your life then I wouldnt stress too much about it :smile:
Have to agree with everyone else. We all make mistakes, even older, really experienced people. Just a tip though I have always used. If you are going for an interview in future, and if you have the time, do a dummy run the day or a couple of days before. I suggested this to my son when he started a work placement at a primary school in an unfamiliar area. He got the bus the day before and then walked to where the school was to find out its exact location. Just as well really, as the school was a good 20 minute walk from the bus stop down a quiet lane. If he had got a later bus the next day when he was due to start at 9 AM he would have been very late.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending