London

LSE Anniversary scholarships and LMA's

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Any responses for anyone yet?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Hi everyone, I've just found this group today. Am in the same boat here: waiting to hear back from LSE (which seems extremely unlikely), and won't be able to attend without fin aid.All I can say is congrats to everyone who had been awarded a scholarship (although your stories make me paranoid), and for all of us who haven't got anything: stay calm and hopeful on this white-knuckle ride.(Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go burry my head in the sand while I weep.)
Haven't heard anything, and I can sense an upcoming rejection for USS :/
Reply 63
I accidentally stayed up for 30 hours yesterday, in large part because I kept feeling like the scholarship letter was about to come, even though I know exactly what time of day the mailman arrives. I went to the doctor for some other issues I've had for the past while and he just told me the remedy was destressing and sleeping. It's partly just melodrama on my part, but jesus. I really hope they were being truthful when they said that we get a letter even if we're rejected.

Original post by Blue.neddicky
Hi everyone, I've just found this group today. Am in the same boat here: waiting to hear back from LSE (which seems extremely unlikely), and won't be able to attend without fin aid.All I can say is congrats to everyone who had been awarded a scholarship (although your stories make me paranoid), and for all of us who haven't got anything: stay calm and hopeful on this white-knuckle ride.(Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go burry my head in the sand while I weep.)

Greetings, fellow sufferer. Which scholarship are you waiting on, grad or undergrad, and from which country?

Original post by prepdream
Haven't heard anything, and I can sense an upcoming rejection for USS :/

Always next year.
Not to sound cynical or anything, but I think as the end of the month is fast approaching and we haven't heard anything (myself included) that we've been unsuccessful this time... Has anyone heard anything from anyone (from facebook or otherwise) specifically on anniversary scholarships?
Reply 65
I am very pleased to report that I received a named scholarship earlier this month amounting to £28,000 and an LMA worth £2,500. I totally did not expect this in the slightest and had anticipated ultimately declining my offer for lack of funding.

Also, I've managed to secure a single room in Rosebery Hall, which looks like its a decent and pretty social place near Angel, an area I've heard is very nice.

For those still waiting to hear back - chin up. I didn't receive any funding last year and so decided to reinstate my offer for the next round in the 2016/17 academic year on the off-chance that I might get lucky next time. I did get lucky - I would suggest that, if possible for anyone who might be disappointed at not receiving funding this year, they do the same and reinstate their offers, unless of course it would be impossible, time table wize, to fit in a postgraduate degree next year.

I didn't let my failure to acquire funding last year change my ambitions. I reasoned it was worth another go while I used my "free year" to pursue other avenues, such as employment.

Congrats also to everyone else who has received funding.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by muhreeah

Greetings, fellow sufferer. Which scholarship are you waiting on, grad or undergrad, and from which country?

I'm from Vietnam, grad. I'm not waiting on any scholarship specifically. I used to put my hope in a few named scholarships, but reading through the posts it seems like named scholarships have all been given out. I didn't get Graduate Assistance. Guess my need was too large.
Original post by Smurf67
I am very pleased to report that I received a named scholarship earlier this month amounting to £28,000 and an LMA worth £2,500. I totally did not expect this in the slightest and had anticipated ultimately declining my offer for lack of funding.

Also, I've managed to secure a single room in Rosebery Hall, which looks like its a decent and pretty social place near Angel, an area I've heard is very nice.

For those still waiting to hear back - chin up. I didn't receive any funding last year and so decided to reinstate my offer for the next round in the 2016/17 academic year on the off-chance that I might get lucky next time. I did get lucky - I would suggest that, if possible for anyone who might be disappointed at not receiving funding this year, they do the same and reinstate their offers, unless of course it would be impossible, time table wize, to fit in a postgraduate degree next year.

Congrats also to everyone else who has received funding.

Big congrats to you. Good things take time. I know you deserve this.
Reply 68
Big congrats to you. Good things take time. I know you deserve this.

Thanks Blue! Yes indeed, good things come to those who wait. The last year has proven that to me. I really hope you get the funding that your looking for and if not, I wish you the best of luck for next time if you decide to reinstate your offer or pursue a different postgraduate programme. Best wishes :smile:
Reply 69
Regarding the USS: successful applicants are supposed to expect a response by the end of July (although the lady said wait until the middle of next week to be sure, some were sent out later), unsuccessful applicants will be notified later.

Fingers crossed for everyone!
Original post by Smurf67
Thanks Blue! Yes indeed, good things come to those who wait. The last year has proven that to me. I really hope you get the funding that your looking for and if not, I wish you the best of luck for next time if you decide to reinstate your offer or pursue a different postgraduate programme. Best wishes :smile:

Hey Smurf, thanks a lot. I emailed the financial support office and they told me they'd already given out all the awards for this year.
I don't know what to do now, I wonder if deferring might be an option because I can't tell they'll give me an award next year or not. By the way, may I ask which program you're studying in? I do IR theory, probably too theoretical a field to give fin aid to.
Reply 71
Hey Smurf, thanks a lot. I emailed the financial support office and they told me they'd already given out all the awards for this year.
I don't know what to do now, I wonder if deferring might be an option because I can't tell they'll give me an award next year or not. By the way, may I ask which program you're studying in? I do IR theory, probably too theoretical a field to give fin aid to.

Hi Blue,

MSc in International Relations for me, so pretty similar! Mine is the course geared towards a career with an international focus as opposed to the more research oriented one.

I initially deferred my offer but there was a stipulation that by January of the next year (2017 for you), I had to pay a hefty some of money to keep my offer deferral. I therefore changed my offer in January from a deferral to a reinstated offer which meant that I could re-apply fresh for fundung.

I think you should do same. So long as you have time to fit in a degree starting next year, I think you've got nothing to lose by keeping your offer deferred for now. In January next year you could keep the deferral or reinstate it like I did.

Most people who reinstate an offer seem to get accepted again, as I was.

I'd definetly give it another try with a deferral for now and/or a reinstated offer.

Best of luck for the future,

Smurf
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 72
So nobody gets notified through email? Also, as I am an international student, should I wait more for a positive reply or there is no hope for me?
Original post by MoRa123
So nobody gets notified through email? Also, as I am an international student, should I wait more for a positive reply or there is no hope for me?

Which one did you apply for? If it is the Undergrad Support Scheme, then you have to wait through post only.
Original post by MoRa123

Hi Mora, I am a graduate international student. I emailed the financial support office to ask about awards results and they informed me that all financial aid awards for this year had been given out and the successful candidates contacted. I didn't receive aid.
If you're an undergrad, I think you still have your chances. I'd suggest contacting the office for the most direct answer.
Reply 75
Original post by prepdream
Which one did you apply for? If it is the Undergrad Support Scheme, then you have to wait through post only.
Postgrad :/
Original post by Smurf67
Hi Blue,

MSc in International Relations for me, so pretty similar! Mine is the course geared towards a career with an international focus as opposed to the more research oriented one.

I initially deferred my offer but there was a stipulation that by January of the next year (2017 for you), I had to pay a hefty some of money to keep my offer deferral. I therefore changed my offer in January from a deferral to a reinstated offer which meant that I could re-apply fresh for fundung.

I think you should do same. So long as you have time to fit in a degree starting next year, I think you've got nothing to lose by keeping your offer deferred for now. In January next year you could keep the deferral or reinstate it like I did.

Most people who reinstate an offer seem to get accepted again, as I was.

I'd definetly give it another try with a deferral for now and/or a reinstated offer.

Best of luck for the future,

Smurf

Hi Smurf,

Glad to know you're also studying International Relations.

I'm going to request to defer my offer with LSE now. Thank you for your explanation of the process, this helps a lot. And yes, I'll be spending my next year working, studying, and volunteering, so nothing to lose.

All the best to you at LSE! Go get'em!

blue.neddicky
Reply 77
Hi Mora, I am a graduate international student. I emailed the financial support office to ask about awards results and they informed me that all financial aid awards for this year had been given out and the successful candidates contacted. I didn't receive aid.
If you're an undergrad, I think you still have your chances. I'd suggest contacting the office for the most direct answer.

Not undergrad. Ahh so now i'm disappointed..
Original post by MoRa123
Not undergrad. Ahh so now i'm disappointed..

Me too. I was very disappointed when I received their email, mostly because I feel I was kept in the dark the whole process, and I have waited for almost 5 months, only to receive this piece of bad news. But as Smurf above said, we can defer entry and reapply to financial aid next year.
Perhaps this happens by way of giving us another year to live and learn so as to better prepare ourselves before we dive into the LSE universe.

blue.neddicky
Reply 79
Me too. I was very disappointed when I received their email, mostly because I feel I was kept in the dark the whole process, and I have waited for almost 5 months, only to receive this piece of bad news. But as Smurf above said, we can defer entry and reapply to financial aid next year.
Perhaps this happens by way of giving us another year to live and learn so as to better prepare ourselves before we dive into the LSE universe.

blue.neddicky
yeah, you're right, So the status doesn't change on LSE4you?

Quick Reply

Latest