The Student Room Group

Hot Drink is perfect for cooling down

A hot drink like a cup of tea is not just perfect for when the weather is cold as a hot drink is also a perfect for this weather that we're having at the moment as a hot drink will help to cool you down quicker and those on here who have done science would know why
Reply 1
I agree, but then I really like coffee :coffee:
Prefer an ice cold drink. So refreshing
Original post by sharkbate633
A hot drink like a cup of tea is not just perfect for when the weather is cold as a hot drink is also a perfect for this weather that we're having at the moment as a hot drink will help to cool you down quicker and those on here who have done science would know why

Indeed. That is why people in hot countries have lots of spice in their food too, for a similar reason
What is the scientific reason?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think is because of the increased rate of perspiration, so more heat energy is transferred away from your skin to the air - therefore cooling your body at a better rate.
Yea, agree with you. While taking hot drinks especially tea or coffee, our mind get refreshed

Tea is bae
I disagree during the heatwave I had tea , and then immediately felt the sudden urge to die.
Original post by SuperHuman98
I disagree during the heatwave I had tea , and then immediately felt the sudden urge to die.

Lmao what was in the tea?
Reply 10
I'm not entirely certain of the point of this thread, whether you're giving advice or lecturing?
It's probably complete and utter rubbish, and just something that people have convinced themselves of. After the 1500m final in Rio, I don't think any of the athletes will be sitting down for a cup of tea.

There was a chinese family next door to us and their mum was always going on about "heating" and "cooling" foods. It was total junk imo. She just said that anything she didn't like the sound of was a "heating" food, regardless of what it was, and even from day to day that would change. One day lemons would be "heating", the next day they'd be "cooling". Who knew?
My mum has told me this a few times. Tried it, it doesn't work for me ... when I drink a hot coffee on a warm day I just feel uncomfortably hotter than I was previously.
Original post by Trinculo
It's probably complete and utter rubbish, and just something that people have convinced themselves of. After the 1500m final in Rio, I don't think any of the athletes will be sitting down for a cup of tea.

There was a chinese family next door to us and their mum was always going on about "heating" and "cooling" foods. It was total junk imo. She just said that anything she didn't like the sound of was a "heating" food, regardless of what it was, and even from day to day that would change. One day lemons would be "heating", the next day they'd be "cooling". Who knew?

I think it's a chinese traditional medicine thing. I had a chinese lab partner in chemistry who would go on about not eating certain foods because they would make him ill for something. I tried to explain to him about biology and western medicine but he didn't listen to any of it. Chemistry student aswell.

By this, do you actually mean anyone who has access to google?
Original post by WoodyMKC
By this, do you actually mean anyone who has access to google?

No, I actually meant anyone that has taken or is doing science
But who wants to sweat more?
Cool drinks any day of the week.
Besides hot cocoa, that stuff is the ****.
No, I actually meant anyone that has taken or is doing science

Well, I haven't done a science lesson since school quite some time ago and never did science afterwards, and I found out the answer in less than 10 seconds by googling it. Just sayin'.

Quick Reply

Latest