The Student Room Group

Medicine - Which A-Level subjects to take?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TomSuffolk
Whereas I'm only expecting 6A* and 3A at GCSE (AT BEST) So I feel like this already puts me below the majority of the competition

Dont underestimate yourself, you dont know yet!! Wait till results day and you may be surprised. 6A*s and 3As is a brilliant set of grades for medicine, that is around average! It will make you able to apply to many med schools if you also perform well in the UKCAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
Dont underestimate yourself, you dont know yet!! Wait till results day and you may be surprised. 6A*s and 3As is a brilliant set of grades for medicine, that is around average! It will make you able to apply to many med schools if you also perform well in the UKCAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That was at best though haha

Was your offer from Cardiff for AAA or A*AA?
That was at best though haha

Was your offer from Cardiff for AAA or A*AA?

AAA, some people got in with AAB and i know someone in my year with ABB but it depends on the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AAA, some people got in with AAB and i know someone in my year with ABB but it depends on the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And which Universities did you apply to?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions
And which Universities did you apply to?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions

Its alright dont worry.

I really didnt think about where to apply after cardiff, my ps wasnt very strong and competition at non UKCAT unis was so high, i ended up with 3 preinterview rejections from liverpool, lancaster and sheffield. If i had known my UKCAT was good for my year i would have applied totally differently!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its alright dont worry.

I really didnt think about where to apply after cardiff, my ps wasnt very strong and competition at non UKCAT unis was so high, i ended up with 3 preinterview rejections from liverpool, lancaster and sheffield. If i had known my UKCAT was good for my year i would have applied totally differently!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm thinking of taking the BMAT instead because apparently the test itself is more straight forward and the entry requirements for most BMAT unis are usually lower than UKCAT, or am I completely wrong
I'm thinking of taking the BMAT instead because apparently the test itself is more straight forward and the entry requirements for most BMAT unis are usually lower than UKCAT, or am I completely wrong

Yea your not completely wrong, but your not close either.

The BMAT is a much harder exam and because you sit it after you apply you have no idea whether you stand a chance. The unis that require the BMAT often have higher academic requirements also. Generally doing both is a good idea. Its great to do 1 BMAT and 3 UKCAT/2 BMAT and 2 UKCAT. But dont be deceived notorious BMAT unis include oxbridge, UCL, imperial, leeds etc. And they have just as high if not higher entry requirements than UKCAT unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yea your not completely wrong, but your not close either.

The BMAT is a much harder exam and because you sit it after you apply you have no idea whether you stand a chance. The unis that require the BMAT often have higher academic requirements also. Generally doing both is a good idea. Its great to do 1 BMAT and 3 UKCAT/2 BMAT and 2 UKCAT. But dont be deceived notorious BMAT unis include oxbridge, UCL, imperial, leeds etc. And they have just as high if not higher entry requirements than UKCAT unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I was mistaken, I mixed up UKCAT AND BMAT, I meant UKCAT all along.

I don't think I'm going to bother applying to any very highly respected Universities such as Oxbridge because I want to keep my chances of actually getting an offer as high as possible
Sorry I was mistaken, I mixed up UKCAT AND BMAT, I meant UKCAT all along.

I don't think I'm going to bother applying to any very highly respected Universities such as Oxbridge because I want to keep my chances of actually getting an offer as high as possible

Ah ok then, and unless you like the idea of lectures 9-5 and academic medicine avoid oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Unless you apply to Cambridge then maths/physics are NOT required. What matters is that you take Bio, Chem and 2 other AS subjects that you feel confident you will attain an A in. Your grades,UKCAT/BMAT score, personal statement and performance at interview influence your chances of getting a place. Unless you take something like Critical Thinking then the other subjects you take bare very little significance.

Just passed my 1st year at UCL. UCL actually give a slight preference to those applicants who offer a "contrasting" subject at AS and/or A2 meaning the fact I took History to AS actually made them look on me slightly more favourably compared to an applicant with similar stats who had taken the cliche BIo,Chem, Maths,Physics.

So if you will enjoy and believe you have a higher chance of attaining an A in Socio more than Maths or Physics then go for it. It should not hinder your chances.
So if only Biology and Chemistry are required:

Then somebody taking Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Sociology will stand just as much of a chance as somebody taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths?

Yes that's right.
Original post by STLJA
Unless you apply to Cambridge then maths/physics are NOT required. What matters is that you take Bio, Chem and 2 other AS subjects that you feel confident you will attain an A in. Your grades,UKCAT/BMAT score, personal statement and performance at interview influence your chances of getting a place. Unless you take something like Critical Thinking then the other subjects you take bare very little significance.

Just passed my 1st year at UCL. UCL actually give a slight preference to those applicants who offer a "contrasting" subject at AS and/or A2 meaning the fact I took History to AS actually made them look on me slightly more favourably compared to an applicant with similar stats who had taken the cliche BIo,Chem, Maths,Physics.

So if you will enjoy and believe you have a higher chance of attaining an A in Socio more than Maths or Physics then go for it. It should not hinder your chances.

What grades did you get and how many offers did you receive?
Reply 52
What grades did you get and how many offers did you receive?

I achieved AAA. I had 2 interviews and received 1 offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending