The Student Room Group

Should I keep my fourth subject for A2?

Hey there, I'm trying to work out whether I should carry on with my four subjects to A2 or drop one.

The subjects I'm doing are History, Lit, Politics, and BTEC Applied Law, and it's the BTEC I'm considering dropping.

Here's the thing: the BTEC is very easy. I doesn't require any extra work than what you do in class, and it's a pretty much guaranteed Distinction*. I'm also sure that if I have the period free, I won't do any work for other subjects. Probably. I do all my work at night.

However, there are a couple things that are making me hesitate keeping it. Firstly, will this fourth subject give me any advantage at all in university applications? I'm especially concerned about the stigma associated with BTECs.

Secondly, since I'll be applying to study Law, I'm concerned that the BTEC in Applied Law will become redundant after I complete my Law degree. When applying for jobs, I won't be able to say 'I have 4 A-levels'. I'll have to say I have a A-level equivalent in Applied Law. It's redundant, like saying 'I'm my mother's son'.

So what should I do? Should I try to keep it? Is it pointless? How do universities regard BTEC Subsidiary Diplomas as fourth subjects?

Thanks!
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Hey there, I'm trying to work out whether I should carry on with my four subjects to A2 or drop one.

The subjects I'm doing are History, Lit, Politics, and BTEC Applied Law, and it's the BTEC I'm considering dropping.

Here's the thing: the BTEC is very easy. I doesn't require any extra work than what you do in class, and it's a pretty much guaranteed Distinction*. I'm also sure that if I have the period free, I won't do any work for other subjects. Probably. I do all my work at night.

However, there are a couple things that are making me hesitate keeping it. Firstly, will this fourth subject give me any advantage at all in university applications? I'm especially concerned about the stigma associated with BTECs.

Secondly, since I'll be applying to study Law, I'm concerned that the BTEC in Applied Law will become redundant after I complete my Law degree. When applying for jobs, I won't be able to say 'I have 4 A-levels'. I'll have to say I have a A-level equivalent in Applied Law. It's redundant, like saying 'I'm my mother's son'.

So what should I do? Should I try to keep it? Is it pointless? How do universities regard BTEC Subsidiary Diplomas as fourth subjects?

Thanks!

BTEC applied law exists? I never knew. Anyhow, I personally wouldn't recommend carrying it on - as you're probably aware, universities only typically require 3 A levels. Universities which require 4 A levels (such as UCL) will not accept a BTEC as an equivalent to an AS so it's pretty useless carrying on the BTEC imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sacred Ground
BTEC applied law exists? I never knew. Anyhow, I personally wouldn't recommend carrying it on - as you're probably aware, universities only typically require 3 A levels. Universities which require 4 A levels (such as UCL) will not accept a BTEC as an equivalent to an AS so it's pretty useless carrying on the BTEC imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No universities require 4 A-levels though. The BTEC would just be something extra.

LSE used to require 4 AS-levels, but I even contacted them at the time and they confirmed that the BTEC Certificate was suitable as a replacement for the fourth AS.
No universities require 4 A-levels though. The BTEC would just be something extra.

LSE used to require 4 AS-levels, but I even contacted them at the time and they confirmed that the BTEC Certificate was suitable as a replacement for the fourth AS.

Oh really? When I contacted UCL regarding medicine they said that their typical offer was AAAe but it's now A*AA so I apologise. However, you should realise most people will have completed 4 AS levels anyway so having a BTEC in applied law isn't going to be anymore advantageous to you with regards to your application than other applicants extra AS level
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh really? When I contacted UCL regarding medicine they said that their typical offer was AAAe but it's now A*AA so I apologise. However, you should realise most people will have completed 4 AS levels anyway so having a BTEC in applied law isn't going to be anymore advantageous to you with regards to your application than other applicants extra AS level

The small 'e' is the AS Level. They want to see 3 full A Levels and 4th AS Level or BTEC.

Yeah, I know that most will have completed 4 AS'. However, less will have completed 4 A2's (or A2 equivalents). I just wanted to know f it would be beneficial at all to keep with 4 A2 equivalents.
Yeah, I know that most will have completed 4 AS'. However, less will have completed 4 A2's (or A2 equivalents). I just wanted to know f it would be beneficial at all to keep with 4 A2 equivalents.

If you're adamant that continuing with BTEC applied law will not impede on your other subjects, you may aswell go for it- it's not going to be disadvantageous to your application

Quick Reply

Latest