The Student Room Group

Silly Farmers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paul514
A lot of it is.

Regardless I think things should cost what they cost in the true sense and that means different prices going up.

That money the government saves can then be spent on redistribution or investment.

Another example is rail travel it's heavily subsidised which means anyone who doesn't use trains is paying for those who do I.e Londoners.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see your point about rail costs but it would be unaffordable for most without subsidies and it reduces congestion and pollution so should be encouraged IMO.

The situation on the roads would be unmanageable if all those commuters had to trade rail travel for a car.
Original post by Bill_Gates
haha Think i'll wait for that Ryanair flight

5 years later..............

Phoar, this 1 is half way to avin her own football team, what a schlllag

I bet she luvs it :angry: I bet she bloody luvs it
(edited 7 years ago)
My Dad is a farmer, he voted in because the SFP comes from The EU. All of the farmers I know (and I know quite a lot) all voted remain, maybe it is because people from Northern Ireland are more intelligent, and think about their decisions :tongue:
Original post by moggis
That would make an interesting thread perhaps.

What should things ideally cost ?

Unfortunately/fortunately I don't start threads .

I reckon paying less than £5 for a whole roast chicken is tantamount to condoning animal cruelty for a start.

And no woman should be selling herself for less than £120 an hour.

While a season ticket for Aston Villa shouldn't be more than £200.

I agree it would change the value of different goods and services to people.

The obvious example is the chicken you just mentioned the amount of ammonia burns you see on those cheap chickens is a disgrace

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JamesN88
I see your point about rail costs but it would be unaffordable for most without subsidies and it reduces congestion and pollution so should be encouraged IMO.

The situation on the roads would be unmanageable if all those commuters had to trade rail travel for a car.

One could suggest that people could get the money directly that goes to rail and that most people would be winners as they don't use the rail.

Obvious losers would be Londoners using the tube.

I read once that the government takes 44 billion in car tax's and spends just over 4 billion.

Why should car users 40 billion in tax be spent on other uses?

If they want the extra 40 billion it should come from General taxation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
LOL that laugh is too contagious.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Brexit: Farmers who backed Leave now regret vote over subsidy fears

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/farmers-brexit-regret-bregret-funding-common-agricultural-policy-a7163996.html

[video="youtube;YIlL0T2yTss"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIlL0T2yTss[/video]

Quite literally nothing but hyperbole from a Remainer. All Remainers appear to think that if they keep saying and wishing that everyone that voted Leave is regretting their decision, was duped and is now worried then it will magically be the case, but it simply isn't.
Original post by pol pot noodles
Quite literally nothing but hyperbole from a Remainer. All Remainers appear to think that if they keep saying and wishing that everyone that voted Leave is regretting their decision, was duped and is now worried then it will magically be the case, but it simply isn't.

It's still funny.

Farmers, as an entity, annoy me. Don't like labour governments spending their taxes on the city working classes but love all their Tory welfare.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Galaxie501
I disagree with the OP, but that facetious humour is too good to ignore.

The opposite for me! I agree with him but think that laughing at the loss of livelihood is distasteful, even if the Bender Futurama laugh is welcome in any context :biggrin:*
It's still funny.

Farmers, as an entity, annoy me. Don't like labour governments spending their taxes on the city working classes but love all their Tory welfare.

Tory welfare? Since when was the CAP a Tory construct? New Labour hardly neglected the farmers, they made over fifty of them millionaires overnight as part of the foot and mouth compensation scheme.
Also lets not pretend that Labour is a party of the working class. An interesting article in the Guardian the other day revealed over half of Labour's members are middle class professionals, half of members live in London, and about 75% of their increase in membership since the last election has been said middle class professionals and students. It's not hard to see why old grumpy farmers are reluctant to associate with condescending hampstead liberals and prissy, whiny students who throw tantrums every other day.
Tory welfare? Since when was the CAP a Tory construct? New Labour hardly neglected the farmers, they made over fifty of them millionaires overnight as part of the foot and mouth compensation scheme.
Also lets not pretend that Labour is a party of the working class. An interesting article in the Guardian the other day revealed over half of Labour's members are middle class professionals, half of members live in London, and about 75% of their increase in membership since the last election has been said middle class professionals and students. It's not hard to see why old grumpy farmers are reluctant to associate with condescending hampstead liberals and prissy, whiny students who throw tantrums every other day.

Makes you wonder what the working class vote for as it certainly isn't ukip on mass 4m votes uk wide wouldn't get near covering the entirety of the working class and poor

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
Makes you wonder what the working class vote for as it certainly isn't ukip on mass 4m votes uk wide wouldn't get near covering the entirety of the working class and poor

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like the electorate in general it depends on location. In inner cities, especially up north they'll vote Labour even if the candidate is a donkey. Working class suburbs in places like Essex and Kent vote Tory. UKIP are making inroads in the midlands and North. Overall Labour still win the working class vote but their share decreases with every election.
Tory welfare?

Yeah. Farmers vote Cons so Cons throw money at them. None of this Neoliberal free market *******s applies to farmers.

It is entirely consistent with social democrats to subsidise an industry via the state for for the greater good of society. Awful thatcherites... not so much.

Of course complaining about New Labour employing New Right economic policies when you like those economic policies is bizarre.
Reply 33
Like the electorate in general it depends on location. In inner cities, especially up north they'll vote Labour even if the candidate is a donkey. Working class suburbs in places like Essex and Kent vote Tory. UKIP are making inroads in the midlands and North. Overall Labour still win the working class vote but their share decreases with every election.

Why?

Why do they vote Tory in Essex and Kent but not in the North? Anyone know?

A cynic might suggest ,in lieu of an answer,it's because they're mostly 'dogdy geezers -especially in Essex- who are 'at it' and are essentially at least as selfish as any Tory voter is thought to be.

But not me. No sir.
Yeah. Farmers vote Cons so Cons throw money at them. None of this Neoliberal free market *******s applies to farmers.

It is entirely consistent with social democrats to subsidise an industry via the state for for the greater good of society. Awful thatcherites... not so much.

Of course complaining about New Labour employing New Right economic policies when you like those economic policies is bizarre.

What money have Tories thrown at farmers?
And I'm not complaining about New Labour. I'm making the point that New Labour treated farmers better than the Tories ever have. This directly contradicts your waffle about farmers voting for whoever throws the most money at them.
Original post by moggis
Why?

Why do they vote Tory in Essex and Kent but not in the North? Anyone know?

A cynic might suggest ,in lieu of an answer,it's because they're mostly 'dogdy geezers -especially in Essex- who are 'at it' and are essentially at least as selfish as any Tory voter is thought to be.

But not me. No sir.

Since the issues with mining the Conservatives have trouble getting support in the North (especially places like Liverpool & Yorkshire). The Midlands tends to be more split - there's some safe Tory seats & some safe Labour ones.
I don't think we can assume all farmers are Conservatives. I've certainly encountered a fair few non-Tory farmers in my time.

Nevertheless it's highly telling that every Leave demographic seems to think the Brexit plan will be simply removing the EU but otherwise everything being the same. They have no plans whatsoever.

I'm hoping the abdication of responsibility by Leave will mean sensible people can salvage something from this utter train wreck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending